cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lsalzsie
Adept I

(RX 6900 XT) We detected a driver timeout has occurred on your system

This is our first build, so we could easily just be missing something obvious. 

The computer will browse the web, run YouTube videos without a problem, etc. but as soon as we start any game (only tried games on Steam and Riot) it throws the "detected a driver timeout" error and locks up.  Have to ctrl+alt+delete to sign-out as the computer just crashes out of the game and freezes up. 

If we unplug the GPU power supplies and plug the monitor into the integrated graphics card on the mother board everything works fine (albeit without the most expensive component of our build...the GPU!).  We are guessing that means there is something with the GPU and/or the associated drivers?

We have used the AMD clean up utility to remove drivers and re-install them.  We have tried clean installs on both drivers AMD has listed for the 6900 (Adrenalin 21.6.1 and the recommended Adrenalin 21.5.2) and continue to get the same error regardless of the drivers.  I hope I am sharing enough info.  This is our first PC build and we have used Driver Booster 8.5 to check that all the other drivers were up to date (it says they are).   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The PC consists of the following:

Rx 6900 XT Sapphire Nitro+

Intel i7-10700K

MSI MPG Z490 gaming wifi edge (BIOS version 7C79v17)

TridentZ DDR4 -3200 8GBx2

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb

EVGA 850 Supernova GA

0 Likes
1 Solution

Turns out it was a bad GPU took it back to MicroCenter. Unfortunately we had to replace it with a 6800 red dragon that was all they had unless I wanted to go up to $2,600 which I don't have. So in the end, I saved some money and wasted a ton of time on a unit that was faulty out of the box.  Thanks again for your help. Dropped the new one in and it works like a charm.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies

You've forgotten to mention your Operating System.

However, for some reason, almost of all of the AMD's latest drivers can become unstable rubbish if there's even a smallest discrepancy in your system. Keeping your system up-to-date and regularly checking for updates and only then downloading your drivers is, perhaps, the only somewhat reliable solution.

In addition, you can also check if there are any corrupted system files through console commands (depending on your OS) - it might be the cause of the problem too.

Moreover, if the newest drivers crash your system, try using one of the older versions from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6900-seri...

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D
0 Likes

Sorry, it is Windows 10 home 64bit.  I will search how to check for corrupted files as well as try an older driver through that link, not sure how I missed them, I only found the two I mentioned.  Thank you very much! 

0 Likes

Turns out it was a bad GPU took it back to MicroCenter. Unfortunately we had to replace it with a 6800 red dragon that was all they had unless I wanted to go up to $2,600 which I don't have. So in the end, I saved some money and wasted a ton of time on a unit that was faulty out of the box.  Thanks again for your help. Dropped the new one in and it works like a charm.

0 Likes

Did they refund you the difference or something?

That's odd that you had to drop in quality of a 6900xt to a 6800xt which atm is a significant price drop?

That doesn't seem right at all

0 Likes