cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Psyhix69
Adept III

RX 6800 XT - Is it normal for Power Usage to jump low and high constantly during gameplay?

I have RX 6800 XT with Adrenalin 21.9.2 driver. I have locked my fps to 141 (because I use freesync).

When I open Adrenalin metrics I see power usage constantly jumping from 30-40w to 170-240w.

Is that normal behavior?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I have installed new Adrenalin 21.10.1 Optional drivers and it looks like power usage metric has been fixed.

From release notes:

• On full GPU load, Radeon™ Software may incorrectly display higher than actual GPU power consumption values.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Some fluctuation is normal, however there may be a bug with the power reporting metric, we're looking into it.

@Matt_AMD It's not a reporting issue, check out the dips in his clock speeds...

When power drops to 42 watts, so does his clocks (around 1200, where it must be 1800.

This current generation of drivers seem to be crippling full blown performance.

Check out my exact same issue with old vs new drivers here: 

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/radeon-6900xt-5950x-microstutters-mainly-in-cod-warzon...

0 Likes

I have installed new Adrenalin 21.10.1 Optional drivers and it looks like power usage metric has been fixed.

From release notes:

• On full GPU load, Radeon™ Software may incorrectly display higher than actual GPU power consumption values.

Yes, the metric reporting bug is now fixed.
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the MSI Afterburner you can force a constant voltage, I activated this option and the others too.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

30-40 watts is not normal when playing with DX12, check that with a benchmark like FurMark. Go to GPU Shark there, you can see the ASIC power during the test. And with GPU-Z on Lookup you can compare your graphics card clock rates with the standard setting. I wouldn't be surprised if the standard of the Radeon driver is higher than what the manufacturer claims. The standard for my RX5700XT is 2100 and the manufacturer's boost clock is 2010. In the benchmark, I never get more than 2000 at 220 W - 285 W.

0 Likes

I attaching video of gameplay from Apex Legends where You can see overlay showing power usage jumping up and down. Also I recently checked Path of Exile and this is also happening there.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8vNXZhlWDQ

0 Likes