cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

moardak
Journeyman III

Re: RX 6800 Poor Performance in VR

After trying everything under the sun I've settled on a workaround that usually works to reduce stuttering to levels so infrequent that they no longer really matter. I have to unplug my extra monitor and then set every single process that SteamVR runs (except the web helpers) to Realtime priority using the task manager. The stutters I suspect are caused by the CPU, not the new GPU, and that these issues were there all along, it's just that the new, more powerful GPU has somehow caused them to become more prevalent. 

0 Likes
matthewv1998
Journeyman III

thats strange. my 6900xt has been nearly perfect so far, besides Red matter, i havent experienced any issue like this. 

however, i am driving a Reverb G2, 

b550 pro4

32gb@32000mhz

6900x 

0 Likes
moardak
Journeyman III

Well I found the root cause of the problem just now. I was trying to prove that this stuttering is not performance related because it happens even in the base SteamVR environment (not home, just the basic night sky scene), when no game is running. Since I had no game to distract me, I noticed a pattern to the stutters. They are caused by the chaperone bounds showing up. I had not noticed this pattern while playing games because I have the bounds set to only show on the floor, and I rarely look at the floor while in game. I use a mat at the center of my play-space to keep myself centered so have no real need for chaperone. My play space is just small enough that chaperone bounds activate if I extend my arms, which is why I only ever had the floor display turned on. I used OVR Advanced Settings to completely disable the chaperone system and both the stutters and even the purple frame drops completely disappeared. Turning it back on again, and they immediately started happening again. This also explains why I wasn't seeing any stuttering or frame drops while using my Reverb G2, instead of my Index, as that I'm guessing uses a different chaperone system. I'll note also that bringing up the SteamVR UI also sometimes causes a stutter and/or purple frame drop. This happens even with chaperone disabled. This however isn't really an issue at all. For my purpose, I can leave chaperone disabled since I don't use it anyway, but I'm sure this won't be an option to everyone. I have reported the issue to Steam support so hopefully they can fix it.

0 Likes
jaboust
Adept I

@moardak wrote:

Well I found the root cause of the problem just now. I was trying to prove that this stuttering is not performance related because it happens even in the base SteamVR environment (not home, just the basic night sky scene), when no game is running. Since I had no game to distract me, I noticed a pattern to the stutters. They are caused by the chaperone bounds showing up. I had not noticed this pattern while playing games because I have the bounds set to only show on the floor, and I rarely look at the floor while in game. I use a mat at the center of my play-space to keep myself centered so have no real need for chaperone. My play space is just small enough that chaperone bounds activate if I extend my arms, which is why I only ever had the floor display turned on. I used OVR Advanced Settings to completely disable the chaperone system and both the stutters and even the purple frame drops completely disappeared. Turning it back on again, and they immediately started happening again. This also explains why I wasn't seeing any stuttering or frame drops while using my Reverb G2, instead of my Index, as that I'm guessing uses a different chaperone system. I'll note also that bringing up the SteamVR UI also sometimes causes a stutter and/or purple frame drop. This happens even with chaperone disabled. This however isn't really an issue at all. For my purpose, I can leave chaperone disabled since I don't use it anyway, but I'm sure this won't be an option to everyone. I have reported the issue to Steam support so hopefully they can fix it.

Hi, I definitely will give this a try later today and report the outcome.

0 Likes
Zarlock
Journeyman III

Hi, Chaperone is definitely a factor, just like connecting a second monitor, especially one running at 60 hz. You will however still experience frame spikes in an "ideal condition", even without any kind of GPU monitoring apps which reportedly exacerbate the issue (albeit not for me). You may also want to check our 100 message+ thread about this very problem on SteamVR: 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/2970650017901586073/?ctp=3

and possibly also view the long-standing discussion on the NVIDIA forums, for what seems to be, indeed, a very similar problem on the "green" side of the barricade. Which btw a recent hotfix yet again failed to solve:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/402768/valve-index-missing-dropped...

Noone really seems to know the reason for all this, but I tend to subscribe to the theory that it could be related to the new WDDM standard forced on us within a recent Windows Update.

0 Likes
Schmelge
Adept I

Turning off chaperone AND turning off both my monitors helped me. I have one 60 hz and one 144 hz. I still got stutter when having the 144 hz on. After turning off both of them my stutter was gone. I get lower frames sometimes but no stutter which is a huge improvement

0 Likes
Zarlock
Journeyman III

This is very similar to my experience. Also, connecting two 144 hz "monitors" (one of them a dummy plug) gave me a result that was inbetween the single and 144+60 dual monitor config.

0 Likes
0ct0
Journeyman III

I'm trying everting also to resolve this - same issue moved from GTX1080 to 6900XT and getting worse VR

HP G2 - all latest drivers and fresh build of win10

cpu usage on Automobilista 2in vr is sky high and unplayable even lowering all graphics to Low an SS to 50%

Was fine on Nvidia GTX1080

0 Likes
ashes-p
Journeyman III

My mine problem in VR is ASM2 as well. I think this game seems to be very CPU intensive and for me my 2700x is really struggling as I don't see a massive increase in performance with the 6800XT to my Vega64 I had before. The main difference I have seen is night time and rain my FPS is the same as daylight as well as being able to run 180% SS in Steam VR. The Vega really struggled with night and rain even at 100% SS but could run 140% in daylight, which makes me believe if the CPU isn't feeding the GPU its only running about 20 - 30% usage, mine moves around from 20 to 40% GPU usage with some peaks to 60%.

AMD drivers do seem to be more CPU intensive to Nvidia hence why you might be seeing worse performance if your CPU was struggling before. I did get more consistent usage when making SteamVR and AMS2 priority to real time, was from someone in this thread mentioned it. So that might be worth a try.

0 Likes
Schmelge
Adept I

Any updated guys? Did you get it to work? 

0 Likes