cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Ciurcan
Adept I

Rx 6400 fans are on even when idle

Hi! today I bought an rx 6400 and i'm loving it so far but why does the fan have 700rpm or so, even when browsing or just being on desktop? is this normal? I upgraded from an rx 550 2gb that didn't use the fans while browsing the picture below shows the statistics when i'm just on google1.png

1 Solution

No it won't hurt anything, I run my fans on all the cards I've ever owned (12 so far) no problems ever.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
jsk68
Challenger

It won't hurt anything, some cards support "zero rpm" where the fan is off until the card hits a certain temp, I don't know if yours does or not, it would be under the performance>tuning tab in the control center.

in tuning i dont have anything... only this

22.png

0 Likes

That's really odd I've never seen that before, from what I'm seeing from searching it may be a bug, have you tried updating to the newest drivers just released yesterday? ( 23.2.1 )

Also I found this thread but didn't read it all, it may be of some use.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/v7t1zx/did_amd_purposely_remove_support_for_fan_control/

0 Likes

i do have the latest driver and still nothing

0 Likes

seems like your driver is bugged, use amdcleanup utility and do a clean reinstall

0 Likes

I looked at several OEM RX 6400 none in the specs or features mentions it has Zero RPM option.

I had assumed that all 6000 series GPU card has Zero RPM but now I see I was incorrect. Possibly because the RX 6400 seems to be a Low Profile GPU card thus needs to have the fan to be running all the time.

Your Junction temperature of 31c proves it doesn't have Zero RPM. At that temperature the fan or fans should be turned off.

You can try creating a Fan Curve if Radeon Settings has one for your GPU card. I noticed in a previous reply it doesn't show any type of tuning for your GPU card.

Personally I would worried about it since it seems to be keeping your GPU card cool unless you see the Junction Temp start reaching 110c then you will need to start troubleshooting the GPU cooling system.

If you have a OEM RX 6400 possibly it came with a OEM App to create Fan tuning on it.

0 Likes

Why did you open a second exact thread for the same problem?

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/rx-6400-fans-are-on-even-when-idle/m-p/586309#M95351

0 Likes

I didn't really know where to post it...

Can I leave my gpu like that (with the fans always on), will that be a problem for the gpu itself?

0 Likes

No it won't hurt anything, I run my fans on all the cards I've ever owned (12 so far) no problems ever.

0 Likes

Okay, thank you

0 Likes