Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nibal
Challenger

RX 6400 drivers

Hi,

Can I use RX6400 with Windows 8.1?

I see drivers for Windows 7, 10 & 11.

Will one of these drivers work for Windows 8.1, or am I lucked out?

TIA

Nikos

0 Likes
1 Solution

AMD stopped supporting Windows 8/8.1 around 2017 so there well probably be no Windows 8/8.1 drivers for any GPU cards manufactured after 2017.

Best bet is to try Windows 7 Driver if available. Those seem to be more compatible to Windows 8/8.1 OS If not then try Windows 10 driver. If none is able to install then the last thing you can do is update the GPU driver via Device Manager using the Windows 7 or  10 AMD Installation folder to get the driver.

You can see if Windows Update will install a compatible GPU driver if there is one available.

If that doesn't work then you are out of luck and would need to upgrade your Windows 8/8.1 OS to Windows 10. I believe you can still do it for free. Just google it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

AMD stopped supporting Windows 8/8.1 around 2017 so there well probably be no Windows 8/8.1 drivers for any GPU cards manufactured after 2017.

Best bet is to try Windows 7 Driver if available. Those seem to be more compatible to Windows 8/8.1 OS If not then try Windows 10 driver. If none is able to install then the last thing you can do is update the GPU driver via Device Manager using the Windows 7 or  10 AMD Installation folder to get the driver.

You can see if Windows Update will install a compatible GPU driver if there is one available.

If that doesn't work then you are out of luck and would need to upgrade your Windows 8/8.1 OS to Windows 10. I believe you can still do it for free. Just google it.

Thanks,

Strange AMD has Windows 7 drivers, but not Windows 8.1, when MS has dropped windows 7, but still supports 8.1:(

Unfortunately I tried both Windows 7 & 10 drivers and both err with "Unsupported OS"

Sadly, I have to upgrade:(