Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

johnsmith777
Adept II

Rx 590 Activity too high after accepting "radeon advicer recommendations"

Hello!

I recenty got myself a Rx 590 Fatboy Radeon GPU.

Everything was fine, idle temperatures were at around 37-42c. Fan was quite all the time, unless i started to game.

For around 2 weeks. A few hours ago i noticed the little "!" at the top right corner. I decided, why not, lets give it a try.

So i accepted the reccomedations. Now, my idle temperature is around 62c, activity is high even when pc is complete idle,

(spikes up to 99%), fans start to run every single minute and it is very annoying, no fun at all anymore.

What i already did to solve the problem:

Reset all the settings.

Reset the cache.

Uninstalled the driver, used driver cleaner and reinstalled again.

The card also has begun to "Kickstart" at every PC restart, full fan RPM, never did that in the last 2 weeks.

Nothing works, temperature above 20c the usual (from 35-42c to 64c IDLE), random up to 99% activity spikes on the GPU, fans are annoying me.

Thank you for those great AMD advisor reccomendations, im not sure what to do anymore.

I would like to get some suggestions.

Thank you!

( After i pressed "Yes", to the settings advisor,  ((and oh my god why did i do that?)) all of my 3 screens began to flicker, shut on and off for over 20 seconds.

now the temp climbs from 50c to 60c and then the fans kick in. Absolutely idle, nothing is working but the temperature monitor. Many years ago i said to

myself NEVER AGAIN AMD, and now i did it again. )

0 Likes
28 Replies
johnsmith777
Adept II

Re: Rx 590 Activity too high after accepting "radeon advicer recommendations"

After looking into it, i can keep the temperature down with disabling the zero rpm settings, i do not mind it much, but till now the setting was off,

and rpm was always (when idle) 0 and temperatures were around 39-42c.Was it a bug? Is the zero rpm setting capable of keeping the temp

at the described temperature? Im used to my old 960 MSI, it was always very cool at zero RPM and nothing but the gpu changed.

I assumed the RX 590 Fatboy could keep the temp down with being purely passive at idle, seeing that the cooler on it is way bigger than on my old 960.

I also did notice that with just HDMI on the card it works way lower on the passive settings, about 45c. With 3 screens (hmdi/display port/DVI) it hits

60c at zero rpm. And again, that only happened after i accepted the settings in the advisor. Little bit confused right now, either the RPM meter was completely

bugged and i was thinking its on passive, or something went wrong and now card is getting hot for some reason.

Thanks!

0 Likes
johnsmith777
Adept II

Looks like no one here is around, anyway, i fixed my problem.

Optimized the arflow in the case, added a side fan (i usualy only did that in the summer). passive cooling keeps the card at around 46c.

Drivers are screwed up a little, i just made sure everything is set on manual control, because it seems that the drivers do whatever they want

and however they want to do it. Besides that, the card is pretty good, tho, on high rpm can be loud, i make sure not to go over 1750rpm.

On shadow of the tomb raider that brings me up to 80c, but i guess its okay.

Looks like i helped myself!

Ty!

0 Likes
johnsmith777
Adept II

Okay so, forget everything i wrote above. The solution: Reset to factory settings and DO NOT TOUCH WATTMAN AT ALL!

As soon something is changed drivers go nuts. Install and do not touch. Just never touch it what so ever. Only the display options

are okay to touch, like freesync or hdmi color settings. So after i resetted to factory settings and gave it a few tries, like disabled

the fans i just installed for that card, closed the airflow. Guess what? Temps are lower like that in idle (35c) than with all the fans (not the gpu fans)

running high speeds and very strong airflow. But with "touched" WattMan - 45c. What sort of major nonsense is that? How?

So my first thing that i said here was true, all went totally south after i did accept wattmans suggestions.

Disable wattman right after installation and use (if needed) MSI Afterburner, or other software. Biggest crap in driver existence. Grats AMD.

Problem totally solved.

Ty

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

You are confusing Wattman with the "settings advisor". Anybody who uses that get what they deserve. Ever heard of 'Raptr'?

0 Likes
johnsmith777
Adept II

No, i was a long time nvida user, im used to MSI afterburner. And i also mean WattMan, like, setting zero RPM off or slightly changing your RPM curve.

It wont stay in low temps in idle. After i first changed it a little, just the curve, my idle temps did go up 60c. Now i have the same setup, i disabled

the tower fans, and as long i do not touch wattman settings or adviser at all, the stay at 35c. Thats crazy. How is that possible?

0 Likes
johnsmith777
Adept II

Just to make sure, by idle i mean "zero rpm" mode with nothing but the screens running.

So same setup, zero rpm mode, slighly changed settings -  goes up to 60c then the fans start running. (adjustted the fan curve just by 1%, no joke).

Factory reset, nothing changed - 35c stable in 0 rpm.

Crazy. Im not able to understand how this could have been released. Im not even talking about that reanabling zero rpm is a quest at itself.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

If you want the card to perform at its maximum designed performance level...you should uninstall (not disable) Afterburner (which conflicts with AMD/Wattman settings and controls), reinstall the AMD drivers and only change two things in the Wattman game profile (not Global)...Temperature and Power Limit. Leave everything else at default (automatic).

Power Limit should be the highest + setting (slider all the way to the right)

Max Temperature set to manual and 75-80c. This setting will engage the fans at 40c (about 20% fan speed) and automatically increase as needed to keep the temperature at/below the selected Target temperature for that particular game.

Depending on the Wattman version:

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

0 Likes
johnsmith777
Adept II

Thanks for your help Kingfish.

I am unable to use crimson drivers, because im using rx 590, and it only goes with the new adrenaline.

I do not have your sort of temperature control, but a curvature instead. Im very falimliar with temperature curvatures, and how to set them.

the thing is adrenaline driver is completely broken, 18.2.2 or 18.2.3, absolutely worthless. I am not able to istall

the last crimson driver, which i hear is awesome and has very little problems. Crimson does not see my GPU on installation.

pastedImage_0.png

If i slightly adjust it, zero rmp will be impossible to bring back without restarting, and my gpu temperature will rise constantly till 60c for no reason.

now its 45 and sinking after 2 hours of ghost recon. Will reach 35 and stop. If i adjust even a little, it will keep going up to 60c all the time, no idea why.

Thats why it is so mindblowing to me.

Thank you!

0 Likes