cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

johnsmith777
Adept II

Re: Rx 590 Activity too high after accepting "radeon advicer recommendations"

Of course on the screenshot i pressed "discard". Temp down to 36c on zero rpm.

0 Likes
johnsmith777
Adept II

For example, if i slide that lowest (first) slider even 1% up and press apply - everything is broken. zero rpm can not be brought back, and even with 3rd party fan control software like speedfan (neutral one) the GPU will always go to 60c on 0 rpm, even if i completely slide GPU mhz, memory, and power limit to the lowest possible point. As long as i not touch it, its a cool 35c and works nice. I myself would like to set a lower temperature (more rpm) for some games, but yea, i better let it be. Maybe they will fix it at some point.

0 Likes
johnsmith777
Adept II

And by 60c i mean it would go up even more, but the fans kick in. I think the catalyst for it is the "zero rpm" option somehow. It breaks something in the driver, and the gpu goes in a nonstop loop by checking it, activity goes pretty high. I have no idea.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

I can't see enough of your Wattman control panel to comment..but there has to be a setting for Temp like I posted. If you don't raise your Power Limit you will never get the performance the card was designed for. The default setting is a power saving/run quiet setting.

Take the time to read about Power limit on this older post AMD graphics performance

0 Likes
johnsmith777
Adept II

Nope, thats it.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
johnsmith777
Adept II

Power saving quiet running? Not with the rx 590 Fatboy. It reaches 80c fast.

0 Likes
johnsmith777
Adept II

By mentioning the power limit i wanted to say that i lowered whatever i could, and still it did rise to 60c (till fans kick in) by just showing the desktop, not even

a browser and on lowest possible settings. As said, if i do not touch it, its absolutely fine on "0 rpm". As long i do not start gaming, no matter what i do it will stay below 38-40c. Performance wise the card is fine, can not complain about that.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Did you scroll all the way down in Wattman settings? 60c is the default setting...it's set to keep things quiet while you surf the web.

You don't have any 'Max' temperature setting at all?

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

How to Tune GPU Performance Using Radeon Wattman and Radeon Chill | AMD

Power Limit

Power limit controls the level of power sent to the GPU. Increasing this value can improve GPU performance by allowing the GPU to maintain its highest clock frequency (state 7).

Power Limit can be increased or reduced by +/- 20-100% and should be set to the maximum value when increasing GPU or Memory clock frequency.

NOTE!   Power Limit % range is dependent on which GPU you are using.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

I noticed this card has a dual Bios switch....maximum performance or quieter (noise level). Which one do you have it set to?

0 Likes