cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vandersexxx
Adept II

RX 590 4K videos on youtube stutters terribly

Previously I could watch 4K videos perfectly fine with 1050ti. Now I have new videocard and even at 1080p I'm getting skipped frames. And 4K it's totally unwatchable. Tried different browsers: chrome, chrome canary, edge, edge chromium, firefox, opera. It stutters everywhere. Hardware acceleration on/off makes no difference at all. CPU usage 100% all the time. Sometimes, GPU load is 30% and 4K videos are pretty watchable for 10 seconds or so, then it drops to 0% and so on...

I watched Peru video and it's impossible to watch at 4K. But it was silky smooth with 1050ti, I know it, because I was testing new monitor.

0 Likes
3 Replies
jombo23
Adept II

I think whats going on here is that the rx590 doesnt support vp9 decoding, so its falling back on your cpu.

The 1050ti, however, does.

Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix | NVIDIA Developer 

AMD used to have a page like this, but then they got rid of it for some reason. At least I cannot find it.

edit:

You can get a plugin for chrome to force h264 fallback on most videos, however, some features such as 60fps or higher resolutions might be missing from some.

0 Likes
vandersexxx
Adept II

And I think google fixed it, I reported them about this issue, and now I can watch 4K almost perfectly. No more 100% CPU load, GPU is in use also.

0 Likes

After having a look around, it appears that the hybrid acceleration for vp9 only supports the base codec, profile 0, not profile 2 which google is moving it. 

Whatever fix you have is most likely coincidental 

0 Likes