Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ggg
Elite

RX 580 OpenCL Support Level

RX 580 should have OpenCL 2.0 support.

GPU Caps main tab says I have 1.2 version.

GPU Caps OpenCL tab says I have 2.1 version.

When I try OpenCL demo from Demos tab my PC crashes, referring to some file which starts with amdk and also something something "kernel".
Blender software crashing PC too sometimes or gives errors referring to kernel.

So before I'll try to reinstall drivers, maybe there are special version or additional drivers exclusively for OpenCL?
CPU-Z shots of CPU and Mainboard tabs added just in case.
Thx in advance!
pastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.png

0 Likes
17 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Have you checked with TechPowerUp GPUZ software?

0 Likes

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Could you look at it with Radeon Software?

0 Likes

I think Radeon Software does not show OpenCL in this list at all, can you confirm it should be displayed there?

1st screenshot is mine, 2nd from internet.
pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

Yes. You are right. I cannot think of any other reliable program that may show the OpenCL version.

0 Likes

Well, it does not change my initial question -  is there a special version or additional drivers exclusively for OpenCL? Or it's all included in default package?

0 Likes

I guess your OpenCL version (2.0) comes with the latest driver installation support. Your hardware allows the latest driver installation and that's your OpenCL version. 

0 Likes
ggg
Elite

I guess it too, would be cool to be sure 100%

0 Likes

according TechPowerUp website on the RX580 specs it does support OpenCL 2.0: AMD Radeon RX 580 Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

You can try and open a thread at AMD OpenCL‌ Forum and see if anyone has a similar issue as you do.

I believe depending on the software you are using determines the OpenCL version being used also by the GPU Driver installed.

Here is the latest RX580 driver from AMD Download page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-8-3 

NOTE: If you can post the exact errors you are receiving from OpenCL Demo and Blender might be useful. Also post the Blender version you are using that is crashing.

If you are using Radeon ProRender - Blender Plugin, there is Blender‌ Plugin Forum you can also post your question at.

0 Likes

Oh, forum link that's something, will check it, thx!

I already have latest drivers.

0 Likes

Looks like I can't post on OCL forum, also it's not Blender problem, Blender just lead me to realize it. I have crash from running OCL demo in GPU caps also, so Blender is only symptom .

Looks like wipe out all and reinstall is the only way to check it, sadge.

0 Likes

Okay then post here for Newcomers Newcomers Start Here. Then a Moderator will determine which Developer's Forum your post applies to and "Whitelist" you so that you can post at OpenCL‌.

I forgot you need to be Whitelisted in certain Forums such as OpenCL.

NOTE: Before do the last resort you mentioned, Try posting at Developer's Forum first and see what other Users suggests.

Also run in a elevated Command Prompt or Powershell - SFC /scannow . This will at least check your Windows OS for corruption or missing files.

0 Likes

Reinstalled and it's same, I do not get it

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

My final thoughts but I am not sure if it's true or not.

GPU Cap utility crash was because I hit demo button when I had a lot of resources used by Blender.

Blender crashes was for different reason.

When I hit render in Blender, OCL creates some kind of a cache (those kernel mentioned before) and if this process is interrupted by canceling render, Blender still thinks this it was created and referring to in on a next try. But it was either not created or corrupted so it either returns an error or crash the whole system.

Once again, it's just thoughts do not quote me on this but for now it's all working.

So in conclusion: all works fine, and looks like it worked fine before reinstall and default driver package has OpenCL. Also there is command in Windows to check OpenCL info  clinfo -l (thats' why I am sure now that I have version 2 )

Thx all!

Today BSOD happened again so I just filling up bug report rn and hoping for a best (after waiting 2 years for R9 380 fix it seems hopeless tbh  )

0 Likes

Hey, amdmatt‌ , why you marked it as "solved" if it's not? (no offence )

Just installed new drivers.

1st render went well, on second try I also launched OCL demo from GPU caps viewer to emulate stress test.

No bluescreen, but I guess driver crashed and blender hanged out, also my task manager looks like this now

(also no glitches when going to fullscreen on youtube like it was with previous driver, I think it's related)

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes