cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

SofiaBonez
Adept III

RX 580 No Recommended Update since Sept?

Anyone know why there hasn't been any new Recommended drivers update for the RX 580 since this one below?

Recommended (WHQL)

Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.1

Release Date: 9/16/2020

0 Likes
28 Replies
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

0 Likes

How is that going to help me?

There is no new Recommended on this since Sept - https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

0 Likes

These 2 are on there.

For Windows 10:

Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.1....11/6/2020

Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.10.1....10/19/2020

0 Likes

Those are Both Optional ones and when I try to install the Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.2 Released on Nov.18th my computer restarts on its own which tells me the driver isn't stable which is why I stay away from the Optional one's

What it does it gets as far as where it goes to that black screen like it normally would when installing a new driver and then my computer just restarts, Then computer comes back up and the icon won't load when I try to force it to load it won't.

When I click the try to install it again it goes to the Repair option and does it again same place restarts on its own.

The only way I can get it to install is the Factory Reset option clicking that.

And before you say my custom built computer can't handle it this is my computer which will be a year old in December

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Motherboard: Micro Star B450M Pro-M2 (MS-7B84)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Extreme2 525
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor
Drive: Intel 660p NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 C15 2x8GB
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: Radeon AMD SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 580 Series 8 GB

0 Likes

Both Opitonal but i got the 20.11.3

0 Likes

Do be aware though that cards older than the current generation rarely receive anything as far as performance boosts or features go, and as newer drivers can actually break programs or decrease performance, it's not necessary to have the most up to date drivers, especially for a card which is nearing 5 years old.

Also now 

Radeon Software

@black_zion the sapphire rx 580 nitro+ 8gb came out on April .18th, 2017 which makes the card 3 years old not 5 years look here - https://imgur.com/a/UKwGBG5 and was bought for me in December 2019 by the custom computer builder who built my computer.

@pokester Yeah I was able to install the 20.11.3 but the 20.11.2 I have issues with which are this below

What it does it gets as far as 75% then where it goes to that black screen like it normally would when installing a new driver and then my computer just restarts, Then computer comes back up and the icon won't load when I try to force it to load it won't.

When I click the try to install it again it goes to the Repair option and does it again same place restarts on its own.

Then sometimes when I would start up my computer it shows a Logo it shows before the Windows Lock Screen then the Logo shows up again that would only happen if my computer restarted.

And no it shouldn't be a computer issue as this is my custom built computer

Disable the Internet unplug or turn off wifi, before you install the drivers. It may be windows update conflicting with the install and this can help that. 
You can alternatively temporarily stop the Windows Update service. 

@black_zion The Graphics card came out on April.18th, 2017 which makes the video card 3 years old not 5 years old according to this https://imgur.com/a/37mHy8t

@pokester Internet has nothing to do with install of new drivers and I have Windows Updates Paused I check for them every night at midnight then pause them after anything is installed so they can't run.

My Laptop even restarts when trying to install the 20.11.2 version no internet connected, no wi-fi connected so yeah there's an issue with the 20.11.2 one

A friend of mine with a different AMD Graphics Card had the same issue with the 20.11.2 verison right at 75% there computer restarted so I'm not the only one.

I told them to go above it to the 20.11.3 verison

The RX 500 series is a higher clocked version of the RX 400 series, identical in all other respects, and as the RX 480 was released in June 2016, it means the RX 580 is, effectively, 4.5 years old.

@black_zion Yet every website from google search results says the Sapphire rx 580 nitro+ 8gb release date is April.18th,2017.

April,2017 to December 2020 is 3 years not 4 or 5 .... Do the math

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/sapphire-nitro-rx-580-8-gb.b4436

0 Likes

A rebrand does not a new card make, GCN4 is GCN4. The point is it's several generations old, since GCN4 there's been Vega (GCN5), Navi (RDNA), and "Big Navi" (RNDA2), with RDNA3 already in deep development by AMD, so the software team is busy focusing on RDNA2 and still trying to fix all the issues with RDNA1, they aren't bothering with anything newer, because all the major issues have, supposedly, already been worked out.

@black_zion Okay and I'm saving up for a new video card what I was told is the RX 580 8GB is still good by the custom computer builder and a different builder who looked at it a week ago today.

There are other's out there that still have the RX 580 8GB video card other then myself

But with Covid-19 everything has been doubling in price for instance my CPU Upgrade regular cost $190.00 with this Covid-19 it cost the builder $300.00 to get it and put it in himself a few months ago. 

I only paid him $100.00 for the CPU Upgrade cause that's what he quoted me

0 Likes

It's still a decent card, though it is definitely starting show its age, but like Vega, the RX 400 series, Fury series, R3/5/7 300 and 200 series, and even HD 7000 series, all which are currently "supported products", many of which cost much more than the RX 580, there's not much more, if anything, AMD can do for it aside from fixing game bugs which may appear. Since a game bug fix driver often contains only a very limited number of fixes, it's not recommended that driver be used by everyone.

Ask any Fury or Vega owner what they think of AMD's software support, at what they saw as their card being dropped from receiving features and performance improvements very quickly despite paying a premium for a high end product.

True dat, or any AMD card that said on the box it supports Windows 8 and AMD dropped support years ago and the OS is still supported right now. 

0 Likes

RE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Exactly which build of Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit please? 

Try running winver at cmd line and paste result here please. 

I need to know if it is 2004 or 20H2 or something else. 
Thanks. 

This is my Windows below but I can see others are having the same issue with the 20.11.2 and 20.11.3

Windows 10 Pro

Version: 20H2

Build: 19042.662

@jboy1450  I'm not going to fiddle around with BIOS Settings I know very little about and other settings on this custom computer which should be set the way they are.

And every single thing was tested by the custom computer builder back maybe 6 months ago no issues with anything.

RE: This is my Windows below but I can see others are having the same issue with the 20.11.2 and 20.11.3

20.11.2 and 20.11.3 are Adrenalin Driver Versions.

It is possible Windows 20H2 is the problem. Try Windows 2004.

The RX580 is practically the same GPU as the RX480. 
The RX580 was a "refresh", only available in AIB format. With an increased BIOS power limit. 
The RX590 was a retapeout of the same Die, with the same die size, but on GF 12nm. It had an even higher BIOS power limit. 
AMD did years of refresh/respin/retapeout on the same GPU design.

@pokester - here's the issue with the 20.11.2 one i have 

Every time I try to install the new 20.11.2 my computer restarts on its own

What it does it gets as far as where it goes to as far as 75% then the black screen like it normally would when installing a new driver and then my computer just restarts, Then computer comes back up and the icon won't load when I try to force it to load it won't.

Then sometimes when I would start up my computer it shows a Logo it shows before the Windows Lock Screen then the Logo shows up again that would only happen if my computer restarted.

And no it shouldn't be a computer issue as this is my custom built computer

@SofiaBonez 

A custom built PC can have issues too. Set the BIOS to the defaults, resetting any possible timing mods / overclocks etc. Also do the same for any utilities in Windows.

Then test your PC components to rule out any hardware problems.  I'd concentrate on the RAM, CPU, hard disk and GPU. There are many free tools online: FurMark for the GPU, memtest86 for the memory, Prime95 for the CPU etc. And if you're not monitoring your temps already, HWiNFO64 is good. 

You want to check your temps under idle vs stressful operations (like when gaming). RyzenMaster from AMD is also great for monitoring the CPU temps under different conditions. 

These tests should help you determine if the problem is hardware. Also pay attention to your power supply. Too low power under load can cause the PC crash and reboot.  IMO, it's always best to get a quality power supply with wattage headroom for expansion and possible power spikes. I'd stick to a 750W and up. Also purchase  UPS if you haven't done so already.

Keep in mind that there are risks when running stress tests so use caution when testing. 

0 Likes

Thanks. 

There is another person on this forum having similar issue with an R9 390...

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/gpu-black-screen-when-installing-drivers-please-help/m-p/42794...

Something seems to be up with installing these drivers ... 

0 Likes

My R9 380x which i mentioned many times before black screened and died when installing the 2020 drivers. I know something happened that fried it but I can't prove it. I know it worked great until I tried to play with the 2020 drivers on it as they did not work right on my RX 580 either so I wanted to test out another older system. 

0 Likes

AMD Drivers hosed my Sapphire HD7970 OC 6GB GPU for a few months. 
The GPU I had repaired previously. 
I ended up stripping the GPU down again and repasting it etc... only to find out that it was a drivers issue.
You are not alone.

unfortunately I tried the card in a couple other systems. I never could figure out on the card what died as nothing obvious was the cause and I didn't care enough to really diagnose the components on the board. I do think something in the voltage regulation though causes these to overload randomly on the older cards when installing the newer drivers, as I have seen this exact complaint a lot on these forums.