cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

DougMcL
Adept I

RX 580 graphics shows as RX 480

I just installed Adrenalin 2022.0823.1759.1936 software. I used the "auto select driver software program to select the latest driver. It shows my graphics card as the Radeon RX 480 instead of RX 580.

I just want to make sure the install went OK. I am assuming the RX 480 and RX 580 graphics cards use the same software (but I would have thought it would show the correct graphics card).

Thanks

Doug

0 Likes
1 Solution

First I uninstalled the driver from Device manager and it reverted back to showing RX-580.

Then I uninstalled AMD software.

Next I installed the "Adrenalin 22.10.3 Optional" (willing to risk a BETA install)

Now everything correctly shows RX-580. Issue solved. Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes they both use the same driver but it is best to manually download the driver from AMD Download page for your RX580 from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

What is strange that it is showing the wrong model. Try running GPU-Z after you install the full AMD Driver package from the link above.

After installing the latest AMD driver run and upload an image of GPU-Z to see if it shows a RX480 or RX580 GPU card.

This isn't a used GPU card by any chance is it?  Did it show the correct model before or always as a RX 480?

Make sure to run DDU with the internet disconnected and deleting the AMD Driver Installation folder at C:\AMD before installing the new driver again.

0 Likes

No, not a used GPU. And yes used to show as RX580.

What is the difference between "Adrenalin 22.10.3 Optional" and "Adrenalin 22.5.1 Recommended (WHQL)"?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Optional is similar to BETA drivers. These drivers are created to solve certain current issues that are occurring but haven't been certified by Microsoft yet.

WHQL drivers are drivers that have been certified by Microsoft. This is the definition by PC Mag what WHQL is:

Windows Hardware Quality Labs) A Microsoft facility that provides testing services for hardware and drivers for compliance with its operating systems. WHQL administers various logos that compliant vendors may reprint on their packages. Formerly called Microsoft Compatibility Labs (MCL), Microsoft also refers to the WHQL program as Winqual, or Windows Quality Online Services. 

It is best to use WHQL Drivers, which are stable, instead of BETA or Optional unless the Optional fixes an issue you are having.

Optional Driver are fine to use as long as you are aware they haven't been certified yet by Microsoft to be stable in Windows OS.

I imagine Optional Drivers will eventually be certified as being WHQL driver.

0 Likes

First I uninstalled the driver from Device manager and it reverted back to showing RX-580.

Then I uninstalled AMD software.

Next I installed the "Adrenalin 22.10.3 Optional" (willing to risk a BETA install)

Now everything correctly shows RX-580. Issue solved. Thanks!!!