Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jerelinux
Newcomer

RX 580 Freezes

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 w/ Wraith Stealth cooler
GPU:  MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 Armor 8G OC
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB(2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800(PC4 22400)
PSU: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80+Gold
Case: MasterBox Q300L mATX
Preferred OS: Windows 10
UEFI BIOS set to 'Optimized Defaults'

I built my PC and it worked great for about 3 months, played every game perfectly.

However, for several weeks I began experiencing random screen freezes, blue screens, and loss of HDMI connection. The most unusual issue was a loud buzzing/screeching noise that accompanied HDMI failures, they were generally resolved by unplugging the HDMI and plugging it back in. I tried troubleshooting; different HDMI cables, different monitors, installing different OS (Ubuntu/Windows10/Linux Mint), however, all issues have remained.

Finally I found switching to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter resolved all issues. Of course this prevents me from gaming or generally utilizing my graphics card to its full capabilities. Every time I try to install the AMD drivers my computer crashes halfway through the installation, and sometimes fails to boot afterward.

Part of me wonders if a windows update caused the issues, or possibly faulty hardware.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

0 Likes
0 Replies