cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tempez
Journeyman III

RX 580 80° and low RPM with 19.3.2

this version changed the rotation of the fans, now the VGA is reaching 80 / 82c but the rotation is very low (900/1600 ingame)

I went back to 19.2.1 just to confirm and that's it.

in the 19.2.1 driver is around 75 ° but at high RPM 
(2,500 / 3000 ingame) which is a serious noise problem

Changing the curve of the FAN to manual disables the ZERO rpm which is another problem.

I get uncomfortable to leave the plate "frying"

27 Replies
alex_b
Adept II

With the latest releases of the Adrenalin, there are more and more problems.
Simple and convenient solution - MSI Afterburner.

Example:
screenshot 2019-03-19 001.jpgscreenshot 2019-03-19 002.jpg

I thought the AMD message on this forum was not to use third party tools like MSI Afterburner / Sapphire Trixx / Asus GPUTweak II as they cause conflicts and problems with the AMD Adrenalin / Crimson  drivers?

Understood this conflicts with what the AIB card manufacturers still do and advertise (apart from Sapphire).

If we are talking about changing the standard parameters within the official limits, I see no problems with Afterburner. Since in this case only standard API is involved.
Another case, if we are talking about non-official limits and settings. Overclocking and so on.
Anyway, even the official RadeonSettings still has problems. This is a difficult question - why AMD is slowly responding to reviews of problems. Despite the fact that I like AMD.

Hi,
Sure - understood.

The situation w.r.t. advice about using 3rd party overclocking tools with Crimson / Crimson ReLive / Adrenalin  and now Adrenalin 2019 is "confused" for years.
Even today AIB manufacturers still promote their tools for overclocking.
Just go look at the following Radeon VII /RX590 pages for AMD latest released GPU's:

ASUS: RADEONVII-16G | Graphics Cards | ASUS Global 
ASUS are promoting GPU Tweak II:
pastedImage_7.png

MSI: Radeon VII 16G 
MSI promote the use of MSI Afterburner:
pastedImage_12.png

Gigabyte have no third party tool advertised for for Radeon VII yet. I think they work on it,
Gigabyte: Radeon™ VII HBM2 16G | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global 

But if you look at the RX590 they have the Auros Engine Utility:

pastedImage_5.png 
Asrock promote Phantom Gaming Tweak:
pastedImage_13.png

PowerColor and Sapphire seem to "behave themselves" PowerColor only promote the use of AMD Adrenalin for the Radeon VII  as do Sapphire. 

However Sapphire still have Trixx:

pastedImage_23.png

I will have to check exactly what the latest AMD GPU TriXX supports these days.

When debugging AMD GPU problems I would remove any of the above 3rd Party tools, run DDU in safe mode w/o internet connection and install latest available Adrenalin 2019.

Bye.

Formal statements are statements that are written in such a way that the likelihood of claims being presented is as low as possible or absent.

Remember, if you only need a driver, you can install it. In fact, this is all that is needed for the video card to work. Therefore, additional software tools should be as light as possible and be careful to install / remove. Unfortunately, RadeonSettings is very heavy and leaves a lot of files. Despite the fact that it is installed with me, I just do not use it.

About the utilities above - All these utilities are similar, the same functions. Just a different interface, which is often overly painted - typical marketing. The only utility that is constantly evolving, supports almost all video cards, is used even by well-known overclockers, and indeed as a high-quality and thoughtful tool - this is an Afterburner.
Even more. Using the Afterburner + RTSS you can create individual profiles for your games or 2D applications. Where you can set the parameters of the video card work.

Just used this image on another thread. Just FOR YOUR INFORMATION ONLY:

While the AMD white papers claim the chip can go to higher temps many of us in practice realize that the chips begin to throttle and in some cases badly in the upper 70's to combat this we use custom fan curve that increase the fan speed max or near maximum settings before reaching 70. Yes this makes it loud. All I can say is you will need to tinker with what works for your card. If you don't want to do that you can try and RMA the card to the maker or if you are still within the return window of buying your card originally you can try another card of the same or different type.

In addition to the custom fan settings I suggest to raise the power limit slider to it's maximum. It may seem counter intuitive but it will help throttling issues and increase overall stability.

Third party apps have the disadvantage of not offering game profiles. So you use your cpu/gpu overclocked /(etc) for everything? I doubt every game can/would have the same settings...I know mine don't. And surfing the web doesn't benefit at all.

You use any third party configuration....don't use/open Wattman.

Also, AMD's minimum fan speed is and always has been 20%. That has never been a issue until AMD started the Zero RPM thing.

By the way, which version of RadeonSettings do you use and the video card?

0 Likes

I use the latest drivers (now the 19.3.3) and a R9 290X

For my 580 though the minimum sadly is now 35% and that is audible. On my older cards on pre wattman drivers you are correct that the fans always ran but at a lower speed. Not sure if it was 20 but I don't doubt it was. But I never heard it. I really liked that my RX 580 was silent at idle and them taking that feature away because I choose to use a manual curve plus I can't control the minimum I am forced to run at sucks.

0 Likes

Hey. Can you check whether you can control the temperature in RadeonSettings or not? For my RX580, there is no such option in the Radeon 19.3.2 (18.12.2 - 19.3.2).

I mean the temperature limit option.

Thanks for the answer. I have exactly the same for my RX580. As we can see, there is a power limit slider without temp. limit, which has become useless, because AMD did something bad with driver. Temperature Limit does not work, that this option has even disappeared from the settings. Power limit cannot work without this, they are directly related. Sadly...

0 Likes

They combined the temp and fan control into one graph (left and right are temp and up and down fan speed) and yes in my opinion crippled it's capability compared to what it was pre 2019 drivers. They received a lot of backlash over this on this forum but have not fixed anything as of yet. AMD needs to stop changing and making new features and concentrate on making what they do have work properly.

>>> kingfish: Third party apps have the disadvantage of not offering game profiles

Realy?   There is, and for a long time. Afterburner + RTSS = individual profiles for games and 2D applications.

Have you tried the new 19.3.3 drivers?

https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-2194

Not yet. I have installed 19.3.2. And I'm still waiting and waiting for when AMD will return the temperature limit option. This is surprising, this option has disappeared since Adrenaline 18.12.2. I have a RX580 and tritely do not have this option in RadeonSettings. Is it possible to write to someone from the forum about this, who is in contact with the coders?

just 2 mods here Ray and Matt, their ability to send to engineering is really not much better than you just opening a support ticket:  Online Service Request | AMD 

Those go directly to support for engineering I believe.

To write to tech support about problems will soon become my job. I have already sent few letters to them, filling out detailed questionnaires. And nothing. This is not surprising, since AMD is not focused on responsiveness. Let's just say this is a cost for lower prices for the company's products. This is not Nvidia or Intel, where high prices but ..... better technical support.

0 Likes

AMD used to have decent support. I feel your pain. In the last 1.5 years I'd say they maybe answer 1 in 10 support requests I file and even then it is generic scripted answers that don't much help. Unfortunately it is the only way to dialogue with them. I have heard that on reddit people sometimes actually talk to the driver guys.

Ok. I'll try again. Hope to reach them.

As pokster said....don't expect much. Canned answers are the norm. But at least it describes the issue, and if enough people complain, there is a good chance for a fix, if there is one. I have seen this happen over the years, all it takes is for enough people  to send in these requests. Furnish that link to everyone who has the same question.

Personally, I do not like the new options in Wattman. Basic controls (does not include Zero RPM or Chill) and a working driver is all I ask. 

Another thing is, AMD does not list all 'fixes' in the driver release notes. I wish they would.

As mentioned, Reddit is a good place to start.

I haven't had any experience with this, but it is published...so

AMD Head Office
One AMD Place
P.O. Box 3453
Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3453
United States
Phone: 408-749-4000

AMD Customer Service (USA)
Phone: 877-284-1566 (general)
Phone: 866-284-2093 (FirePro, FireGL, FireMV support)

AMD International Support
Below are phone numbers of AMD worldwide. Reach these numbers for technical support on AMD products.

Australia: 1-800-307657
Brazil: +55-11-39587187
China: 400-898-5643
France: 0800 908 621
Germany: 49 (0) 89 4505 3199
Japan: 0066-33-812651
Italy: 800 877 224
Indonesia: 007-803-011-0361
India: +91 11-41672614
Malaysia: 1-800-807088
Mexico: +52-55-47411322
Philippines: 1800 111 41 538