Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ehsan_w97
Adept I

RX 5700XT Green Screen Crashes

Below are my computer details:

Computer Type: Custom Built Desktop

GPU: PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil 8GB GDDR6 HDMI/3xDP Video Card.Factory OC and No Crossfire.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x at Stock Frequencies.

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Bios version: F11

RAM: HyperX Fury HX432C16FB3K2/16 DIMM DDR4 (Kit 2 x 8 GB) 16 GB 3200 MHz CL15 1Rx8XMP profile 1 selected on bios to run at 3200MHz. In slots 2 and 4 for dual-channel mode.

PSU: Corsair CP-9020187-UK 750 W RM750x Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro | Version 1909 | Build 18363.815

GPU Drivers: 20.4.2

Chipset Drivers: Unsure with which chipset drivers are installed.

Background Applications: Discord, Firefox sometimes.

Description of Original Problem: The issue at hand: When playing any game, GTA 5, Overwatch, Warframe and others after a few hours of gameplay the PC will have a green screen and then restart. This occurs only whilst gaming sessions as I haven't seen it during normal use which leads me to believe its a driver issue. This issue occurs at least once every day which is very annoying and frustrating to deal with. I know AMD drivers do improve over time so I hope AMD can fix this issue. Best way to replicate this issue is to play a solid 4 or 5 hours of Overwatch and a green screen crash will occur.

Troubleshooting: One of the steps I was told by AMD support via email was to use DDU and install the latest AMD drivers which were 20.4.2 I believe. However, the issue still persisted after the clean install of the new drivers. I have also disabled HW Acceleration in firefox and discord also.

1 Solution
old_noobette
Adept II

Ok i personally have experienced this green screen and resolved it.

1. Get Display driver uninstaller from Guru3d

Videocards - Handy Utilities 

2 Restart your machine in safe mode.

3 Wipe ALL AMD graphics drivers ( do it twice if you like)

4 restart the machine in normal mode.

5 Download AMD driver 19.12.1 from Guru3d

AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 19.12.1 driver download 

6 OK now here is the important part choose "custom install"

The installer will try to get you to download the latest drivers so make sure you select 19.12.1

Now.... in the install screen there will be features checked to install.

Make sure everything is UNCHECKED except the DRIVER ONLY

restart the machine Also make sure that the graphic drivers are NOT set automatically update.

This "driver only" resolved ALL my studders and crashes.

Now if you feel the need to Overclock try Sapphires Trixx application.

View solution in original post

33 Replies
old_noobette
Adept II

Ok i personally have experienced this green screen and resolved it.

1. Get Display driver uninstaller from Guru3d

Videocards - Handy Utilities 

2 Restart your machine in safe mode.

3 Wipe ALL AMD graphics drivers ( do it twice if you like)

4 restart the machine in normal mode.

5 Download AMD driver 19.12.1 from Guru3d

AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 19.12.1 driver download 

6 OK now here is the important part choose "custom install"

The installer will try to get you to download the latest drivers so make sure you select 19.12.1

Now.... in the install screen there will be features checked to install.

Make sure everything is UNCHECKED except the DRIVER ONLY

restart the machine Also make sure that the graphic drivers are NOT set automatically update.

This "driver only" resolved ALL my studders and crashes.

Now if you feel the need to Overclock try Sapphires Trixx application.

Hi there didnt see this message but I managed to do similar steps: Heres what I had done:

1. Download the 20.4.2 Radeon 2020 Drivers.
2. Download DDU.
3. Extract the 20.4.2 driver .exe file. (As long as you have 7Zip installed you can extract the actual .exe file)
4. Restart the PC into Safe Mode without Networking.

5. Once DDU is opened when in safe mode look to the right of the program select device type click on GPU. And the checkbox underneath make sure it is set to AMD.

6.Once this is done click on Clean and Restart.

7. Once you have restarted everything will look blurry or low res as there is no driver installed.

8. Open up windows search and look for device manager.

9. Once the device manager is open click Display Adapters.

10. Should be a device called Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

11. Right-click on this device and click update driver.

12. Then Click browse my computer for driver software.

13. Then when you do this you will need to locate that driver file you extracted at the beginning. And point it to the Driver folder inside of the extracted file.

14. Mine would be this:  \Desktop\win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.4.2-apr23\Packages\Drivers

15. Then click next and it will install the driver.

What this does is install the driver only and without the Radeon software, this fixed my green screen crashing issue so far on my 5700xt as I played 6 hours of gta5 online with no crashes. So, there seems to be an issue with Radeon software rather than the driver itself.

If anyone is struggling to understand this I will redo it all and have a screen recording to show how it's done.

If any additional crashes occur I will edit the post accordingly.

can you pls record this problem?

0 Likes

I can record how to do the fix, not the problem as it happens randomly. With the fix I very very rarely have any issues.

0 Likes

Yup this has been going on since they released the Wattman drivers. 

0 Likes

For me this helped as wel, like few weeks ago. But sinds a week now i had the restarts and green screens again (also had the older more stable drivers (20.3.1)) but now i did this methode again with the latest drivers (20.5.1) and fully updated my windows updates and now the restarts and crashes are gone or at least very very very rarely happen. Thanks for the tip.

0 Likes

Yes of course with lastest drivers ! So far ! Happy for you, i searched since two weeks a solution to these green reboot screens... Have a nice day!

--

Envoi sécurisé avec Tutanota. Obtenez votre propre adresse email chiffrée :

https://tutanota.com

20 juin 2020 à 11:40 de amd-external@jiveon.com:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: RX 5700XT Green Screen Crashes

in> Drivers & Software> >

>

>

For me this helped as wel, like few weeks ago. But sinds a week now i had the restarts and green screens again (also had the older more stable drivers) but now i did this methode again with the latest drivers and fully updated my windows drivers and now the restarts and crashes are gone or at least very very very rarely happen. Thanks for the tip. >

>

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- > go to the message on Community <https://community.amd.com/message/2983260?commentID=2983260#comment-2983260>

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

Go to the message on Community <https://community.amd.com/message/2983260?commentID=2983260#comment-2983260>> (you’ll need to log in).

Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

>

>

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may > unsubscribe <https://community.amd.com/unsubscribe.jspa?id=585537&token=8ae83cdfb1fb00f5857128116ed297b65a64b8538753f45ca6a1d7b8ba494cc3>> instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your > email preferences <https://community.amd.com/user-preferences!input.jspa>

>

>

0 Likes

For me it didnt work evantualy.. had couple restarts and green screens this week already. 

I have a Asrock b450m pro4 mobo (updated bios)

And a Ryzen 3 3600 CPU

with Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 C16 RAM.

And what i later saw in the corsair ryzen compatibility is that they dont support this RAM (i think) so iam going to do some research for memory that is supported on the asrock website and the corsair (or other ram website) and test that. And hopefully that will fix my problems.

0 Likes

I was having green screen crashes for ages, tried absolutely everything with drivers and everything, nothing worked, started looking at temperatures and found it, gpu Junction temp was peaking nearly 100 degrees. Found this guy followed his video and things seem to be working fine for now.

https://youtu.be/fN3n63laxEA

Hope it helps

0 Likes

What is the temperature delta between your edge and junction temperatures?  A repaste would likely help if the the difference is greater than 20C when the GPU is in high use.  My 5700XT Nitro+ had a 30-35C delta from the factory when running Timespy, 72C edge / 105-110C junction temp when pushing 220W.  I followed Fabio's video too back then and undervolting and downclocking from stock OC, 2100 MHz and 1130 mV, definitely helped but a repaste has kept me down to about 15-20C max difference between edge and junction temps now.  I used Noctua NT-H2 paste.  Temps were amazing with fresh paste, edge temps closer to 60C, but are now usually around 68C when gaming but junction temp difference hasn't gone over +20C after 4 months.  I had a recent green screen right after login after boot though, recent fresh windows install all latest drivers.  Event logs only show windows wasn't shutdown properly, not even a hardware error with 2yo 650W gold PSU.

0 Likes

Hello,

I have tried every solution on the internet for my Green screen crash and reboots and had no luck.  It happens mostly when I play MSFS2020.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

MB: MSI x470 Gaming Plus

My solution involved changing the PCIe setting from Auto to Gen1 in the Bios.  I didn't notice any performance reduction and haven't had a single glitch and subsequent crash in 5 days - it used to happen multiple times every single day.

Brent

0 Likes

Update.  This didn't end up working.... although it didn't crash as much,  I still got the Green Screen.

Since then I have upgraded my previos Ryzen 3600 CPU to a Ryzen 9 3900X and I have not yet had a crash.

Brent

0 Likes

I tried doing this method and updating windows, but the issue still persists. Is there another way to fix this or could you or some other person spare some time helping with this issue? I wish I could contact some services for help, but I have to wait a few days for them to come back to my request to help with my issue. 

0 Likes

I had the issue for a few months, updating to driver version 21.1.1 seems to have fixed it, no crashes in 2 weeks so far. Before that It would crash every few days, though sometimes multiple times a day. Driver version 21.2.1 was released a few days ago, but I haven't tried it.

0 Likes

is it still happening?

i just got a new rig built with a rx 5600 xt and its been green screening alot.

i flashed the gpu bios, they were super old and un update-able...FZ2 to FA1

i have the latest windows 10 and amd drivers. currently 21.2.3

the card seems to run hot in my opinion. it often sits at 45c-55c with out fans turning on. i have gone back in to radeon software and made it so they run at least a little at all times.

im at a lose at this point. nothings worked.

Im trying this guys suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClxgKTFDjv90AQ_MYWiB1PA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHjobJddBIw&t=189s                                 rx 5600 xt

he has other videos for other cards.

0 Likes

update: changing settings to manual fixed it, even overclocked and undervolted a little based on that YouTube link. . its either a bios issue or more likely a radeon software automatically adjusting to make the GPU unstable.

0 Likes

Sorry to bother you after so lolong. But I can't figure out exactly what it is I need to extract. I see a few things I think it could be. This green screen problem is getting annoying but I don't want to buy a whole new card if I don't need to

0 Likes

Thank you man! This finnaly helped me! i already installed windows 10 again and that didnt help. So glad that this did.

It was really getting frustrating. I only tried your method. maybe the second one did work as well because they both bypass the AMD readon software. What should i do, keep it on the old driver of update and try to only download the drivers of the newer update?

0 Likes

@ehsan.w97 following your fix methods, thank you, but my GPU fans no longer spin, they worked with the Radeon Adrenalin software, how then might I get them to work without it? 

gigabyte aorus radeon rx 5700 xt (rev. 1)

motherboard is gigabyte x570 gaming x  

0 Likes

I don’t have the card no more but from what I’m aware of is under a certain temperature the fans won’t spin. So for example under 60 degrees Celsius the fans won’t spin.

This is so the card is quieter and cools when it needs to

does it work with the newest driver also?

0 Likes

I am coming a little late to this issue, but I am still having the same green screen crash problems as before even after trying this, it seems to work for a few days, then suddenly the crashing starts again. Is there any other solution then this one i can try? I don't want to have to buy a new GPU as they are a little costly, but at this point I don't see what else i can do.

0 Likes

After some time ADM installs the update and BoOm starts crashing again. ADM FK the value of their products

0 Likes

this is still happening to me and i even did what the solution said so has anyone found other solutions

0 Likes
ryzen3483x
Adept I

Same green screen problem,i just let HDMI 1.4 for a 2.1, one week without green screen or reboot ! And much better graphics quality!

0 Likes

Hello! I am having the same issue. Did the HDMI cable change fix the issue completely?

0 Likes
iorangex
Journeyman III

People I want to ask a question to me, what happens to me is that I played Assassin's Creed 2 and also brotherhood, and with these 2 games you owe a lot from time to time, it throws a screen at you and marks me as a PC, with a locked sound, and the only way to stop it is by turning off the pc forcibly, this is something that has to do with the gpu, or with the drivers, it is to stay calm, or send it to rma. My board is a msi mech RX5700XT

0 Likes
satanael
Adept III

You Can Also Use Device Manager To Install Latest Drivers Without Radeon Software But I Doubt That Radeon Software is The Main Issue Because I Had to Switch From DP to HDMI to Avoid Crashes With These Applications [Firefox - Microsoft Edge - ThunderBird - Discord - Steam Client GUI - Avidemux - Windows Sandbox - Camtasia - Radeon Software GUI]

0 Likes
auri
Journeyman III

I had updated from an nVidia card. After uninstalling ALL the nVidia software - search for nvi in Add/Remove Programs - and updating with all the Windows updates, including optional updates - my issue went away. It may have simply been the nVidia drivers and optimization software conflicting with AMD's that does the same. I hope that helps!

0 Likes
tdbone1
Journeyman III

i have not yet tried the solution (yet.)

i have:

Ryzen 5 2600 cpu

Gigabyte B450 aorus elite mb

xfx 5700 xt raw 2 gpu

Thermaltake 700 watt psu

Corsair 4x8GB ram (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

Windows 10 pro 64 bit fresh install about a month ago (fully updated)

AMD Driver 21.8.1

Im pretty sure i used the "Default" method to install the drivers i will try the solution in a moment.

i only get green screen in Battlefield V and its not always when playing. it happens when i "Quit" a gaming session also.

i think it might have something to do with directx 12 and hdr.

it does not happen in the division 2 with directx 12 and hdr or Rainbow Six Siege.

will report back after i test.

0 Likes

just wanted to give an update.

i used the amd driver uninstall utility "amdcleanuputility.exe" from within safe mode.

i then installed only the driver from "non-whql-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.8.1-win10-64bit-aug10.exe"

that did nothing (still had green screen)

i then disabled hdr. that did nothing and (still had green screen)

i then put the game in directx11 and that seemed to fix it. btw hdr is set to auto and working as my screen displays the "hdr" symbol when it is active on the tv.

i think the green screen in "Battlefield V" has to do with directx 12. maybe it is enabling software ray tracing on this card as it does not do hardware ray tracing.

0 Likes
setupgr
Journeyman III

Problem solved:

1. Update your motherboard bios to the latest one
2. Update to the latest optional graphics driver
3. Somewere in your bios option select the x16 pcie bus for the graphics card from "Default" to "pcie 4"
4. The pice 16x bus from "default" to "2X8"

Enjoy your no more green screens pc!   

0 Likes