cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Scarwolf
Adept I

RX 5700XT crashing and unninstalling AMD drivers.

Hello, so I've owned my 5700XT for a year now, and while I've had some issues with my computer since I've bought it, I usually find a way to fix them, but there's this one problem that's been annoying for a while now, when I'm gaming all of a sudden my gpu will shutdown (fans even go off) while the computer still remains on, monitor goes to black, not even BSOD, when I'm also on discord i can still hear people talking and they can hear me, after a minute or 2, it shuts down or I just turn it off.

I have a TUF GAMING X570 PLUS WIFI, AMD Ryzen 5  3600, and my 5700XT is Saphire's Pulse.

After I'm back on Windows, its noticeable that something's off. The resolution remains 1440p, but my monitor is 144Hz and after this happens it goes to 64Hz without the option to change to any other frequency, also AMD drivers don't load with windows and just won't open when I try to launch AMD Software. I have to reinstall them to get my gpu back. It's also weird because, even though my monitor is plugged in directly to the gpu, the computer only uses my cpu, which even goes to a 100% use with Wallpaper engine, in task manager you can't even find my gpu use percentage.

So I reinstall and it goes back to normal until it does it again. My guess it has something to do with temperatures or power consumption but I can't totally figure it out. I underclock it (power limit, no memory or voltage, frequencies) and that seems to help, but recently I was playing Hellblade: Senuas Sacrifice and it crashed after I drastically increased my fans speed to lower the 75° temperature.

I've used a profile that help´s me most of the time, setting Power Limite to -10% and increasing fans' speed, since usually when I'm playing,  the fans will barely work, they are by default at a very low speed. I live in a very hot and dry city. The problem, I think, happens when AMD doesnt load the profile by default, so it crashes and the gpu shuts down and it's usually pretty hot. When I reinstall drivers and get back to gaming so I dont get an AFK report, if I didnt set the profile before so, it will crash again. When it happened while playing Hellblade, I had set up the power limit only to -5%, hasnt happened in a different occasion with that game.

So... is it just a temperature thing? Is it power? I kinda wanna be able to use my gpu at full power (without even overclocking) Maybe i should add that my SSD has problems too, maybe with temperature, haven't figured that one out yet neither, sometime it goes to 100% and I have to remove it and install it again (M.2 SSD).

If there's just no way to fix it but setting the fans like that and the power limit, is there a way to force AMD to ALWAYS load that profile, without me having to manually activate it?

1 Solution

Hey man, thank you for all the help, it did lead me to the solution. Because it was just made clear that it wasnt a software issue. So I was like, so my gpu is doomed and then I thought.... well.... if it's hardware, what could change?... I had checked it was well plugged in, but I decided to try changing the PCIe its connected to.

Worked like a charm ha 2 days working now and no crashges. So I don't know how, but one PCIe slot fried or something. I guess it works the minimum, but for big transfers while gaming it just didn't allow enough bandwith. I'm so glad it's working again, I was getting scared. Again, thanks for the help

View solution in original post

13 Replies
RPX100
Miniboss

@Scarwolf hello! Welcome to the AMD community forums. (No AMD staff around here, sadly.)

Please note that with the 5000 series AMD was trying to be competitive with nvidia,
by using the Radeon Software to automatically overclock the GPU.
(when left on automatic performance tuning mode)

Radeon Software is setting your card to boost to 2100-2150 MHz while using 1200 mV.
Some 5700XT cards might be able to achieve this, while others tend to overheat and crash (silicon lottery).
Community forums are filled with user reports of crashes and blackscreens.

Sapphire PULSE RX 5700 XT is rated for:

• 1925 MHz boost clock (at around 1050-1100 mV)
  • 1815 MHz game clock

So instead of (just) adjusting your power limit, you should enable manual performance tuning
and enter 1925 MHz into the P3 boost state frequency and 1050-1100 mV into the P3 voltage.
note: 1050 mV should be stable for most cards, but it depends on silicon lottery!

---

I personally switched to MSI Afterburner to set up and load my GPU profile.
Offers more fine tuning and better overlay metrics + consistent autostart/profile loading.
There were so many issues with the Radeon Software, that I did not want it anymore.
Software Features like "Game Mode"/Radeon Boost/Anti Lag/Enhanced Sync can even cause crashes.

If you do not need the features of the Radeon Software, you can use MSI Afterburner instead.
Just make sure to not use both at the same time - better do a clean install with "driver only" setup.
MSI Afterburner also comes with RivaTuner Statistics Server that offers even better metrics/overlay.

---

Also: 75°C sounds really great, if you are talking about Junction Temp / hot spot.

You are able to monitor GPU core / memory / VRM and hot spot temps.
With good cooling and nice case airflow, you should see core/mem/VRM stay below 75°C.
Most likely even around 60-65°C under optimal conditions.

hot spot / junction temp might even go up to 90°C under load.
If your card is reporting 75°C as hot spot, then you are perfectly fine. Best case even.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]

Hi! Thank you so much for your reply, I've been using it as a reference these last few days. Unfortunately, it hasn't fixed my problem.

Before I tried changing the clocks, I thought I had fixed it by completely unninstalling AMD drivers with DDU aand doing a clean install, it worked for a day and half, when it started happening again. The problem is way more annoying now, because it used to happen with AAA games, but now it started happening while playing LoL which is no demanding at all.

So I tried your setup, also seemed to work for a few games... Then again, screen going black, drivers not functioning. So I go back to a video from Ancient Gameplays on Youtube, about undervaulting the 5700 XT, which I used last year and worked me well. BBasically same settings as you recommended, but not decreasing Power Limit %, but increasing it to the max. Which allows the gpu to get the power it needs when it needs it. So I try this new setup and again... I think I fixed it only to get my PC crash again and having to restart, reinstall drivers, restart and join the game again.

I don't know what it could be, last change I did an stress test for 10min with the AMD Software and everything looked fine. I'm losing hope here, I don't know what could my problem be.

Everybody has had their PC crash at some time, GPUs sometimes crash, but to me, the weirdest thing is that the drivers stop working. What's up with that? They're still there, in Windows but they can't be started, GPU doesnt even work without the drivers. I think, maybe it's the psu (Corsair's CX650) not being able to deliver enough power, but why do the drivers fail this way?

I spend a considerable amount of money on this PC, It's so frustrating that it fails this way. I think right now I'm gonna try disabling other features like Game Mode"/Radeon Boost/Anti Lag/Enhanced Sync

0 Likes
Scarwolf
Adept I

I've tried what feels like everything.

Updationg Windows and BIOS. Updaating the Chipset drivers. Using multiple versions of AMD Drivers, Disabling all of AMD additional settings liek enhanced sync, undervaulting the gpu, increasing or decreasing the GPU's power limit. And yet, it keeps crashing and disabling its drivers.

0 Likes

@Scarwolf hello again. I know it can be very frustrating to deal with these issues. Been there myself.

You might want to try to do a fresh install of the driver without Radeon Software:

1. start DisplayDriverUninstaller (DDU) as administrator
  2. change the "launch option" from "normal" to "Safe Mode (recommended)"
  3. click the "reboot to Safe Mode"-button
    (
    it is important to actually do it in Safe Mode)
  4. let your PC restart and it should bring up DDU on its own
  5. back in DDU click on "options" (top left)
  6. untick (disable) the checkbox "Remove "C:\AMD" driver folders
    (driver files are stored in "C:\AMD" after extracting them - so you don't want to delete that folder!)
    (if your "C:\AMD" folder is empty or missing: run the graphics driver installer again)
  7. tick (enable) the checkbox "Prevent downloads of drivers from "Windows Update"
    (it is very important to actually block Windows Updates while doing a driver install!)
    (or you could just unplug your LAN cable)
  8. close the options menu and then use the "Clean and restart" option.
  9. When DDU is done and your PC has been restarted, go to Window Device Manager.
    Within Device Manager: right click on your graphics card (listed as basic display adapter)
  10. Select to "update driver" and then "look for files on my PC" and navigate to "C:\AMD"
    it should find and install the driver for "AMD RX 5700 XT"
  11. restart your PC
  12. start DisplayDriverUninstaller (DDU) as administrator
  13. this time use launch option: "normal" (no restart required)
  14. on the right side, click the button "Set Windows Automatic Driver installation to default"
    (this will revert the changes made to prevent Windows Update from installing stuff)
  15. restart your PC again
  16. and finally install MSI Afterburner to stay in control of your boost clocks and voltages.

You can use OCCT (link) to check your system stability and see if it brings up any errors.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

So... bad news.

I tried it step by step.... It even lasted for a shorter time. It crashed as I clicked on the Hellblade shortcut.

So, is it hardware? Is it just dying? Happened the same, drivers poofed, display only allowing 64Hz.

I even tried something people say has worked for them, just changing the setting AMD gives yyou when you do a fresh driver install. If you want to have the preset for Gaming, eSports or standard. Supposedly gaming turns things off that can't be turned off entirely even when disabled.

What is left to test? Now I'm just sad... my gpu is probably dying and there is no way I'm buying a new one with the current state of the market.

0 Likes

You could try 1100 mV and 1800 MHz (downclocking to see if that is stable)

Also I would make sure to check for BIOS updates for your mainboard.
And also install the latest AMD chipset driver.

At this point you can just try to improve your GPUs stability.
Make sure to monitor the temps and try to stay below 90°C hotspot.
See if 1800 MHz works and if performance is still good, then leave it at that.

0 Likes

Hey man, thank you for all the help, it did lead me to the solution. Because it was just made clear that it wasnt a software issue. So I was like, so my gpu is doomed and then I thought.... well.... if it's hardware, what could change?... I had checked it was well plugged in, but I decided to try changing the PCIe its connected to.

Worked like a charm ha 2 days working now and no crashges. So I don't know how, but one PCIe slot fried or something. I guess it works the minimum, but for big transfers while gaming it just didn't allow enough bandwith. I'm so glad it's working again, I was getting scared. Again, thanks for the help

Hm, ok... very interesting. Good idea to switch to the other slot. 

I am glad that you found a way to resolve your issue.
It is quite interesting to learn that this was a possible solution.

Thanks for the update and enjoy your gaming. Cheers!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Das ist schon ein Radeon Treiber Problem, bei meiner RX5700XT ist die Standardeinstellung Kerntakt 2100 und Kernspannung 1184. Aber die Einstelldaten von Gigabyte besagen Kerntakt 2010 Boost, 1905 Spiel und 1770 Basis, dementsprechend habe ich die Kernspannung angepasst. Mein derzeitiges Spiel Valhalla läuft sogar nur mit 1350 MHz und 1025 mV mit 60 FPS. Aber Doom Eternal kann ich mit Standardgrafik spielen, was wohl an den verwendeten Grafikmaschinen liegt. Ich habe nur den Treiber 21.9.1 installiert und benutze den MSI Afterburner mit 5 Profilen. Achtung, nach einem Crash usw. stellt der Radeon Treiber die Standardeinstellung wieder her!

0 Likes

I actually have been having the exact same problem, I've had my 5700xt for around two years now and I just recently started having this problem, if all else fails I'll try your solution and if it works thanks for all the help!

Thanks

0 Likes

So I have the exact same issue... except going through the DDU process ended up nowhere and I can't change PCIe slots as my motherboard only has one so I am not sure what to do to solve my issue.

ASUS b550a-m ac - Ryzen 7 3700 x - Asus duo Radeon 5700 xt  those are the critical components that I have that are installed

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deactivate the network card in the device manager, run DDD in safe mode, restart and install the previously downloaded Radeon "Only" driver 21.9.2, without Adrenalin software, restart and then activate the network card. It can happen that the game crashes after 5-12 minutes of action. But that may be due to the DX12, because the shader units are optimized from the beginning of the game.

0 Likes