cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

marci76
Journeyman III

RX 5700XT crash When alt tabbing out of a game

So this happened to me over 5 times. today i was just playing war thunder, but i had to tab out to see who sent me a message. alt tabbed, i opened Opera, then as i moved the cursor towards the messenger button, the cursor slowed down, then everything freezed, then system reboot happened. but system reboot is not always. if this happens sometimes it restarts the whole system sometimes it just freezes. i did not have this problem with my GTX 1050. after i upgraded this started to happen. at least its not frequent. i dont know whose fault is this, maybe gigabyte maybe amd AMD. when crash happens, the Power Indicator LED on the GPU does not blinking, so power is normal.

i flashed the latest vbios, nothing changed. Temperatures around 60-70 Celsius while gaming.

System specs:

GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x @3.8-4.2GHZ

Mobo: Asrock AB350PRO4

Ram: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 3200MHZ CL16

32 Replies
kvazibog
Journeyman III

Have you found a solution for this? Have the same issues.

0 Likes

0 Likes

Now yes

0 Likes
accn
Elite

How did you fix it?

0 Likes
satanael
Adept III

Which Directx 10 Or 11?

0 Likes

I noticed that in OGL (Apex particularly). But have same behavior in D3D11 in Dota2

0 Likes
accn
Elite

I observe the same behavior in 2d accelerated stuff like game menus, or for example rdr 2 works flawlessly if the game was able to load, but once a similar crash happened when I was browsing product catalog in valentine xD just TRRRRR sound and reboot. 

0 Likes
satanael
Adept III

mstfbsrn980 what do you think i have the same exact issue which accn  just mentioned? do you still think it is related to power or Drivers?

0 Likes

what's more, I found people with exactly the same problems on reddit, some helped vbios update some did RMA

0 Likes

I Sent My Card Already i hope they will be able to trigger the issues on their end

0 Likes

There may be a driver error. But there may also be hardware failure. When ALT + TAB is done, the GPU frequency changes. The voltage also changes. GPU-VRM voltage regulation cannot adapt to changing speed and crashes. This is the case.

0 Likes

It looks like a software issue, but in that case, many more owners of these gpu's would have faced this problem. But even if this is a hardware problem with the power controller on some instances, it can probably be solved by software, because there is no such problem with 19.7.5 driver (although there are a bunch of others)

0 Likes

It looks like software issue, because after 20.9.1 release crash frequency significantly decreased, but however it still happens sometimes. Before 20.9.1 I laso had many crashes between matches in APEX even without alt tabbing, so for me the theory about GPU freq. damping and VRM can't hanle it correclty looks reasonable.
My system is R5 3600
Ballistix SPORT LT 3000 MHz (E-die can't remember exact PN)
MSI B-450 Gaming Plus MAX
BeQuiet PurePower 11CM 600W
Adata XPG SX8200 PRO
Gigabyte RX5700 Gaming OC 8G
And what I've tried so far:
Changing the RAM and PSU did nothing, also tried different SSD and Windows versions. Furthermore my friend has almost the same system except for CPU (he has 1600AF) buyed in same shop with couple of days difference and he doesn't have any issues at ALL.
Before 20.9.1 I also had issues with Furmark it's just crashed after 5-7 mins of testing, but after 20.9.1 it can be runned for an hours and nothing, but it still SOMETIMES crashes when Alt-Tab. It's also could be crashed when just browsing or staying on desktop if you play a game and alt-tabed before.

Regards

0 Likes

If there was a fixed driver issue, the moderator had removed this topic from the front page so far. I also experienced this error and stabilized with fixing the GPU with WattMan. So this error is hardware related, but this can be resolved with a driver update or a Windows update.

It doesn't matter if an AMD engineer puts this issue in the list of driver problems to fix.

0 Likes

Not sure that I understand your last sentense.
"If there was a fixed driver issue, the moderator had removed this topic from the front page so far." How issue can be marked as "fixed" if people still have it?
Could you please describe more detailed about WattMan, what you have done? And you also think that it is a hardware issue, so I can expect for RMA?

0 Likes

This issue was existed in a display driver's descriptions in "Known Issues" section. An AMD engineer writes these informations in this section. I also say that this problem may also be hardware related.

RMA is unnecessary if you can fix this error with WattMan. My suggestion to anyone for each GPUs is 1162mV max voltage and underclock to -5% GPU frequency.

I hope I wrote it clear...

0 Likes

Also, some games have hertz changes. The GPU may make an error applying this change. For this reason, I suggest that... Remove unnecessary hertz(s) and resolution(s) with CRU. Try to open the games so that the hertz cannot change. I hope I can explain. AMD driver sometimes makes errors, for high hertz and high resolution monitors.

0 Likes

I was running Apex in FullHD@75Hz fixed with startup command (fps_max), didn't noticed any improvements.

0 Likes

Totally clear now, sorry about it, my native language is not english. Your suuggestion is to downclock/volt GPU, for me it looks not very fair cause I'll lose some performance, not much but still. Please also notice that I have RX5700 (not XT) and now runnig at 1750MHz with 0.935mV.

Regards

0 Likes

You will either crash or underclock. There is no other way. Or you will sent the card in the trash and switch to nVidia.

0 Likes

Ha-ha not very good perspective, but why do you think that I can not expect for RMA?

0 Likes

Because I have never purchased new and faulty GPU until now. I've been using PC for a long time.

0 Likes

i won't believe it if i get a refund because the local partner is too stubborn to give me a refund. and i won't repeat this again i will go green Something Like 3060 seriously I'M Done With AMD their drivers are unbearable.i can't believe after a year and half they can't fix their stuff. although my hardware should be more compatible with RDNA since i run a ryzen CPU it is really Sad to see how AMD became today's Joke.

0 Likes

The reason for these problems is that AMD allows manufacturers to produce cheaply. Also, every product of AMD comes with high TDP and OC.

Evidence of this is that nVidia and Intel's OC potential is much higher, and these microprocessor manufacturers can produce at much lower core voltages.

If you are purchasing an AMD product, it would be right to act as if this product was released as OC.

I love and use AMD. But these are my truth. I also prove it. You cannot find an AMD GPU that can run 100Mhz more frequency without increasing voltage. That's simple... I also feel very bad today...

0 Likes

Let's be Clear RTX 2000 Series Was a Huge mistake in terms of Memory Lifespan & Price

Now 3000 Series proved it is the GPU to Buy. I Don't Care about RX 6000 Series AMD proved its failure

so if 2000 Series Wasn't ridiculously expensive i would get one however In My Country. RTX 2070S was about 828.38 USD & RX 5700 XT was about 548.01 USD.and Since i had an AMD GPU Which is HD 5450 it was Awesome.So Ithought RX 5700 XT was gonna be even more better in terms of everything but i was shocked when i encountered many issues.

1st it was black screen freeze hard crash which i was able to fix by using My monitor @120hz.

2nd Blue Screen In Old Games which are using directx 9.0c or directx 8.1 etc... and i was able to avoid it by running games in windowed mode.

3rd random solid green screens freeze crash when i use HDMI port espcially when i play old games which i mentioned above.

0 Likes

nVidia can be bought. But not with much higher money. I'm not saying get nVidia, give it the high money. Last year I bought an RTX 2060 with December discounts. At a price very close to a 5700, ROG version and very quiet. I have no performance issues for my 144hz 1080p monitor.

When the GPU reaches its highest speed, it works with 1050mV voltage. So I think is's good. The fact that it can operate with low voltage reduces the possibility of crash. Also I do not OC. And it works very quietly and I don't recommend OC for GPUs. You may corrupt the video memory. Increasing the frequency also increases the possibilities of crashes.

0 Likes

wait do you say that RX 5700 XT None OCed Editions can be more stable?

0 Likes

I didn't use a 5700 XT. If you have problems, I say underclock and undervolt and use it that ways.

0 Likes

i can't downclock the vram it is locked in Nitro+ Edition.

if my memory served me i remember that i used silent bios which i guess the normal values it didn't make a difference.

Besides my HD 5450 Was rock stable but after i used adrenaline editions it became unstable so final conclusion drivers are the culprit.

0 Likes

No need to downclock to the video memory.

0 Likes
novasyd
Adept I

Any fix yet ?

The only "fix" I ever found was to install the drivers without the Radeon software via the device manager.

No more crashes but I can't use ReLive and I can't control the fan curves.

0 Likes
novasyd
Adept I

I did some test and it looks like it might be because of my multi monitors setup with different refresh rate ; 2 144Hz and 1 60Hz.

When I turn off my 60Hz the issue dissapears (at least for now I have no problems)

0 Likes