Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

imarlovic
Journeyman III

RX 5700 XT - playing video - wrong GPU usage reporting in task manager

Hi guys,

I noticed that no matter which kind of video I am playing (Youtube VP9, H.264, HEVC) the Video Decode usage in Task Manager  always stays at 0%, and instead Video Encode usage is reported. I was wondering if that indicates hardware decoding not working or is it just a usage reporting error.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

I understand your concern please be assured that this is not a bug. According to our software team, they have confirmed that this is expected behavior for now.

The change was due to the VCN (Video Codec Next) update in the 2020 Adrenalin drivers for the NAVI GPU family and because of the way Windows APIs work the decode and encode utilization will both show under encode.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Do the videos look bad?

0 Likes

Everything seems ok in terms of quality.

0 Likes

that is a driver bug, I am using 20.4.2 which surfaced a day or two ago

0 Likes
nyanmisaka
Adept I

Same issue with my vega11 3400g.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

I understand your concern please be assured that this is not a bug. According to our software team, they have confirmed that this is expected behavior for now.

The change was due to the VCN (Video Codec Next) update in the 2020 Adrenalin drivers for the NAVI GPU family and because of the way Windows APIs work the decode and encode utilization will both show under encode.

amdmatt wrote:

default drivers in windows do not work properly at all

0 Likes