cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

harest
Adept II

RX 5700 XT - Massive fps drop with in-game steam notifications (friend messages)

Issue reported first with the link in the Radeon software, i thought i'd also share it here.

System:

• Graphics card: SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 5500 XT 8G GDDR6
  • Operating System: W10 64bit (build 1903)
  • Driver version installed: 20.1.3
  • Display Devices: AOC 24G2U as main monitor where games are running (DP, 144Hz, 1080p). Philips 243v5 (HDMI, 60Hz, 1080p) aside but not powered when i had the issue. Same for the Panasonic TV (HDMI to DP, 60Hz, 720p as 1080 is not listed, it was with a 7870?! it only accept 1080i though, may be the cause).
  • Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Power Supply Unit: Thermaltake Smart BX1 RGB 750W
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4

Issue:

As soon as i receive a message from a Steam friend and the notification in-game of it, any game where this notification will be displayed starts to stutter heavily and drop fps insanely.

For instance i was playing Hollow Knight ealier, i was going from 144 fps to 60-80, sometimes even less than 60. I was able to notice the same perf issue in Trials Rising (very specific here, the steam overlay propagated to this game by an Epic Game Launcher added in steam as a "non-steam game", and then from the Epic launcher it starts Trials Rising by also opening Uplay ; this game is capped at 60 fps so fps didn't drop much, but unsmooth gameplay was well there) and Torchlight III (Alpha).

So, steps to reproduce :

1. Start a game from Steam with steam overlay and steam friends message notifications enabled.
  2. Get a message notification from a friend sending you a message.
  3. See your game dropping fps heavily and being very unsmooth.
0 Likes
17 Replies