cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

axlenex
Adept II
Adept II

RX 5700 XT Blank green screen crash when playing certain games or applying graphic settings ingame

Jump to solution
  • AMD RX 5700 XT
  • Desktop Computer
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • Radeon Software Adrenalin 20.4.2
  • Acer S271HL IBIDX 1920x1080 60hz
  • Acer S271HL GBIDX 1920x1080 60hz
  • asrock x399 phantom gaming 6 atx str4  Bios Version 1.30
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X
  • Corsair RM750 750w Gold 80+
  • 32GB ram
  1. Crashing into blank green screen when playing certain games or when applying graphics settings and must force boot the system down. It is a very new build of only 3 weeks old. All component were installed at the same time. Tried troubleshooting the problem by fresh installing the driver and using Display Driver Uninstaller to make sure it was a clean install with no luck of fixing the crashes.
  2. Destiny 2 v2.8.0 Rarely crashes into green screen when applying graphic settings
  3. Couldpunk Latest version (they do not have version numbers to my knowledge) crashes into green screen just within a few minutes from playing the game. Doesn't see to crash for a particular reason and is just random
  4. Half Life:Alyx v1.2.1 crashes into green screen VR when going through steam VR setting and applying video settings through there
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
axlenex
Adept II
Adept II

Re: RX 5700 XT Blank green screen crash when playing certain games or applying graphic settings ingame

Jump to solution

Issue fixed. After going through 2 more of the same card with the same issues I bought a 2070super and all problems are gone. Don't buy AMD cards until they can fix their rampant issues. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
56 Replies
trek
Elite
Elite

Re: RX 5700 XT Blank green screen crash when playing certain games or applying graphic settings ingame

Jump to solution

So all you components are new including PSU?

Take a look if your memory is tested with your motherboard https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Memory your modules should be listed and if you OC your memory then it must be verified by asrock, amd motherboards are very picky to RAM

Otherwise go to the bios and load optimized defaults, remove all overclocks for test.

Do you know if your PSU is Corsair RM750 (model 2019)?

0 Kudos
mickeekung
Challenger
Challenger

Jump to solution

I have this problem too, black screen and freeze issue. Many people said it's caused by PSU. Did you already try to change PSU?

axlenex
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

As its a new build i cant see myself replacing it as of now. If you do know any kind of advice on what PSU I should be looking to replace mine with that would help a lot. Even though I might not believe it might be the cause, I'll take any information I can get.

0 Kudos
axlenex
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Wrong link to the wrong motherboard but I got the jist. My memory ins't tested for my motherboard though I am not overclocking it at all. Using G.Skill Trident Z 2/16gb in the right dim slot configuration according to the manual. The PC can handle itself quiet well underload. Playing MW at 60fps (my monitors cap) while watching twitch and having chrome, discord and plenty of other programs open for hours at a time with no problem. Only time I'm worried about a crash is with the specific games listed above. Cloudpunk is an indie game that isn't graphically intensive and optimization is slowly coming in patches with another user confirming to having issues with the game crashing his video driver with the same GPU. Destiny 2 I have suspicion with it not liking the AMD graphics software as Destiny sees it as an "overlay" even when not in overlay mode. Destiny 2 is notorious for crashing the game with overlays over their clear stance on not allowing any overlay that isn't steam on their game.

My PSU is assumed to be the 2019 model, as of searching I am unsure of how to tell even with looking up the model number. If you know how to identify it as a 2019 model please let me know. It is the RM750 with not other text attached so i believe it is the 2019 model.

0 Kudos
trek
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

If your memory is not in QVL then it is issue, because some of memory parameters are supplied by motherboard. If memory is not in the list it means that motherboard manufacturer have not put this configuration in bios. Take a look at bios what values your motherboard set for your memory.

Your PSU is probably recent if you bought it recently.

Otherwise can you try to use only one monitor? Maybe there is still some issue in drivers with multi monitor setups.

0 Kudos
axlenex
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I've done some reading and it seems that staying within the QVL standards

is not the end-all-be-all of ram compatibility. The memory controller seems

to have gotten the right values from what I could see within the bios. It

also has XMP(DOCP) turned off, it rather it's set to the default and isn't

even running the RAM at full speeds and is set to the motherboard default

of 2133Mhz. I still don't believe this is a RAM issue as I haven't had any

problems with the computer outside what I have listed. It only crashes when

adjusting graphic settings frequently in the 3 out if many if games in my

library.

Will do some testing later on today to see whether enabling XMP at 3200mhz

will change anything

0 Kudos
trek
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

So there are following problematic areas about your PC

• untested, unguaranteed memory - in my experience it is always issue to run non QVL memory, becuase motherboard sets many parameters by itself as coded by manufacturer, memory profile does not contain all information
  • PSU is not confirmed to be model 2019
  • possible driver issue - multiple monitors
  • possible hw issue - defective graphics card
  • possible issue - particular games crashing

what you can do now is try to play with memory - try with XMP profile and without, and with one monitor

If nothing helps then in my opinion you will have to consider RMA options, I would start with graphics card, AMD is sometimes doing things that lead to increased RMA rate - i.e. 5600 scandal

0 Kudos
axlenex
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Did a tests today, with one monitor, all done on "Cloudpunk", one of my problem games. Even with XMP on with the timing tables for my memory its still crashes on the conditions listed. With XMP on I have no problems with any other games other than "Cloudpunk" but I am the only one getting these kinds of crashes from their game. The one time crash with Destiny 2 couldn't be reproduced. Connections to my monitors are DP>HDMI converter and crashed. Did pure HDMI connection from card to monitor same error. PSU from what I can see from boxes and images online, it is the 2019 version but i still wouldn't know how to tell. Original store page from best buy here. Have heard from people with the same card that a clean install of windows can fix the issue but seems like a hassle to lose all data over one game when the game could just be a problem for AMD. Will consider doing a fresh install once I can buy another drive to migrate game over to.

0 Kudos
trek
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

According to shop your PSU is recent. Main issue is in your case memory in my opinion. There are memory settings that are hidden and those are set by motherboard, these values are supplied by motherboard manfufacturer for memories in QVL.

Can you buy QVL memory sticks to try and return them if your system is not fixed? You would exclude memory issues and then only remaining would be driver issues or particular game issues. (there are still some minor possibilities such as faulty motherboard or incorrectly seated CPU)

0 Kudos