cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

axlenex
Adept II

RX 5700 XT Blank green screen crash when playing certain games or applying graphic settings ingame

• AMD RX 5700 XT
  • Desktop Computer
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • Radeon Software Adrenalin 20.4.2
  • Acer S271HL IBIDX 1920x1080 60hz
  • Acer S271HL GBIDX 1920x1080 60hz
  • asrock x399 phantom gaming 6 atx str4  Bios Version 1.30
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X
  • Corsair RM750 750w Gold 80+
  • 32GB ram
  1. Crashing into blank green screen when playing certain games or when applying graphics settings and must force boot the system down. It is a very new build of only 3 weeks old. All component were installed at the same time. Tried troubleshooting the problem by fresh installing the driver and using Display Driver Uninstaller to make sure it was a clean install with no luck of fixing the crashes.
  2. Destiny 2 v2.8.0 Rarely crashes into green screen when applying graphic settings
  3. Couldpunk Latest version (they do not have version numbers to my knowledge) crashes into green screen just within a few minutes from playing the game. Doesn't see to crash for a particular reason and is just random
  4. Half Life:Alyx v1.2.1 crashes into green screen VR when going through steam VR setting and applying video settings through there
0 Likes
1 Solution
axlenex
Adept II

Issue fixed. After going through 2 more of the same card with the same issues I bought a 2070super and all problems are gone. Don't buy AMD cards until they can fix their rampant issues. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
56 Replies

It does not mean of course that you must use 1200W, I am just refering to a user that had Seasonic Platinum 1200W PSU and it caused "driver" issues. After replacing it with other more recent model everything is ok. I have Corsair HX850, everything is ok, I had "driver" issues now I do not.

Many users reported that they had to replace Seasonic PSU many times and then they took other brand, e.g. some Evga 750W and all is ok.

0 Likes

Come on, i need a Chernobyl Power Supply? hahaha 

What you say doesn't make sense! I place a bet with you, do a clean installation of windows and do not apply the April patch (Update cumulative 1909) use the latest WQL version if your system has a green screen i pay you money if i'm wrong.

It is not about hardware, the problem is software. I am more than 20 days in tests and research and I have my system in perfect condition now doing exactly that with a 600w power supply. I monitor all voltages in GPUz and you are wrong, the manufacturer recommends Minimum 600W (recommended 700W)

Stop saying nonsense or believing everything that is in fanboy groups.

0 Likes

Manufacturer recommends 600W but it must be PSU with new modern design, not 10 years PSU as many people have, and no overclock on CPU nor GPU. It is demostrated in some reviews that higher end GPUs (5700XT, 2070 super and higher) draw 400W to 500W impulse short power draws.

I had "driver" issues but old PSU so logically I bought a new PSU and all issues gone. I have everything updated and recent. No crashes. If I had crashes anymore logical step is to RMA card for refund.

People here just insist is AMD drivers fault, but it is not. I have no issues with drivers, games, video watching after I installed Corsair HX850 in my PC, it is few minutes of work.

0 Likes

The fault lies with the AMD drivers or the Windows patch I mentioned.

You just DON'T make the complementary update 19.09 that the whole problem disappears, this patch makes the catalyst crash and hangs giving green screen (I don't know why).

I will buy a new PSU soon but now my system is integrated in the way I mentioned.

Another thing I did was PCIe Link State Power Management - Turn Off where some had (for MSI) problems with the RX 5000 series and that fixed it.

0 Likes

I like the fact that Sapphire actually bumps the "minimum" up to 650w.

They are showing some smart thinking on customer feedback in that regard. 

0 Likes

There is still issue with Sapphire Pulse 5700XT that has only 6-pin and 8-pin but power consumption exceeds limits of those connections, so I suspect not many power supplies handle this. This is only problem I have with Radeon cards, but it is not issue AMD caused, but Sapphire only. Pulse should have 2x 8-pin as Nitro.

What helps in this scenario is to downclock card - frequency and voltage, I verified this with my power supply that is causing black screens.

0 Likes

I’ve been back and fourth with AMD support, and I have passed on the information with regards to installing the driver only fix onto them. And to which they responded to accordingly, thanking me for the information. So hopefully the driver packages are updated with regards to the Radeon software and less so the driver. As I have had no crashes at all and many on reddit with green screen issues have also reported back with this ‘fix’ working for them. I’m not too sure if this black screen crash is a different one as I haven’t had one but anyone who’s having this issue tried the driver only approach?

As for PSU capacity mine is a Corsair RMX 750w

And my card is Red Devil 5700xt in OC mode.

I remember when building that it was recommended to have 600-650 watts with 650 watts being plenty.

0 Likes

Which AMD GPU did you own that worked?
Polaris?

0 Likes

I own a TUF RX 5700 XT

0 Likes

5700xt

0 Likes

You should enter the National Lottery.

0 Likes
old_noobette
Adept II

Oh i meant to add... If you are running a Ryzen processor , go to AMD and update the chipset from there. Also make sure the motherboard bios PCI express version is set to version 3 and not automatic. 

0 Likes

Band-Aids for an open wound....
old_noobette
Adept II

I was just thinking also,

if someone were trying to run a RX 5700 XT on a 600w PSU, and encountering crashes,

they could try decreasing the power usage of the card by 5% using the slider in custom tuning.

That might , maybe , possibly  help a little.

0 Likes
kwosr12
Adept I

Check this post out! This helped for me! 

https://community.amd.com/thread/252725 

0 Likes

0 Likes
axlenex
Adept II

Issue fixed. After going through 2 more of the same card with the same issues I bought a 2070super and all problems are gone. Don't buy AMD cards until they can fix their rampant issues. 

0 Likes