Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

whipkickin
Adept I

RX 5700 XT, black screen, no v sync

Hi,

I recently installed a new Asus ROG Strix RX 5700 XT into my system, I used a GTX 1060 before this.

Other components follows;

Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

16 GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB running @ 3000 Mhz

AMD Ryzen 2600X

Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Corsair RM 650 (80+ Gold) PSU with great stability on the power lines.

I'm also using drivers directly from AMD, such as chipset.

Displays

1x 1080p @ 60 hz

1x 4K @ 60 Hz

No overclocking

CPU Userbenchmark report if of value;

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21674746 

The problem I'm experiencing occurs while gaming, mainly Apex as that is the only game I play at the moment.

A re-install of the drivers seem to work, for a while.

The error occurs sometimes after alt-tabbing, or sometimes at game launch.

I have V-sync turned on for a smooth experience, giving me a steady 60 FPS which fits my 60 Hz display.

Problem is, sometimes as stated above. The V-sync is not working, my FPS goes up to 200fps+. Despite this, the game is choppy and ready for a crash at any time. 

If I turn off the v sync in game, the game runs a little smoother if it doesn't immediately crash my system with a black-screen. When this happens, there's no way to turn the computer off without cutting the power. 

After boot-up, I have to manually launch the Readon settings software which tells me that "WattMan profile has been reset due to an unexpected error".

Now, I haven't touched the wattman settings. I did try to increase the "Power limit" as suggested in another thread from 0% to 50%. This did nothing as it seems.

According to the GPU status overaly (ctrl+shift+O), the temp (50C), power and util of the card is not high at all when this happens.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

displays.png

I greatly appreciate any help and input regarding this matter!

Thank you.

0 Likes
6 Replies
mkmate48
Adept I

Hello. Did you tried to use rivatuner ? Thats may fix the v-sync problem

0 Likes
whipkickin
Adept I

Hi!

Yeah, well I've used GPU Tweak II from Asus. Which if I remember correctly is powered by rivatuner. However, the failures I've seen has been occuring regardless of the installation status of GPU Tweak II.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Are you using Discord or do you have a web browser open during gameplay?

0 Likes
whipkickin
Adept I

Discord yes, no web browser. But that should not matter?

0 Likes

Please try disabling hardware acceleration in Discord to see if that helps the issue. 

0 Likes
whipkickin
Adept I

Will do, thank you. Also, I've recently noticed that right after a game-round's been finished and I'm being sent back to the game-lobby, the cards 'GPU SCLK' goes into 5 Mhz or below mode for about 10-20 seconds, causing my framerate to drop to 1 fps before it seems to realize that it needs more speed and increases it's clock.

I also have another question, under some circumstances, for instance while I'm running a benchmark or am in-game with settings like "Improved synchronization" on. My card makes low noises of high-frequency, kinda like a coil whine. Is that normal?

Update: settings for discord changed nothing. The game is still slow for 10-20 seconds when being sent to the lobby after a game and it still crashes with black screen. This occus especially if I ALT-TAB.

0 Likes