cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

alkakt
Adept I

RX 5700 XT - BFV now crashing... (BSOD atikmdag.sys)

Help! I was tweaking with the Radeon Adrenalin driver settings to adjust the fan speed as temp of GPU rises. I had to as I was getting a max of 94C when running high load games like Ark,Battlefield V,and others (Im sure others are noticing high thermals with the RX 5700 XT as well -_-). After adjusting the fan speeds I did not peak over 74C which was great! I was able to run BFV (which was updated yesterday as well) and it ran fine and other high load games ran great with no issues as well but when I tried to run BFV later in the day I got BSOD, and it had a atikmdag.sys error at the bottom. Upon forced reboot, I got a notification that my Radeon fan settings failed and went back to default due to system fail but the game would still crash and go into the desktop on first launch, and upon 2nd launch I get the BSOD atikmdag.sys error again. I honestly do not believe that it is a problem with the fans adjusting cause I was able to play it for a good amount of time earlier in the day. Also upon trying to launch with the default driver settings it still would not launch. I'm going to try and clear the "origin" cache and maybe reinstall the Adrenalin drivers later today but I honestly think it has to do with the games most recent update. Please someone reach out to me if your seeing similar issues. Thanks! 

14 Replies
s88urd
Journeyman III

I have a similiar issue (same blue screen error code), I have a custom fan curve and also custom wattman settings.

One thing i did notice was that radeon image sharpening seemed to cause mine. Not sure if that is switched on for you?

0 Likes

Hmmm.. not sure if mine is checked honestly, is the sharpening option under the wattman settings tab as well? I'm at work rn but Im definitely gonna see if that will help.

0 Likes

Every time for whatever reason the driver crashes it will return all your settings to defaults. So you will want to make sure you save a preset of you custom settings in Wattman and recall that preset after driver hangs.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Which Driver version?

0 Likes

I managed to find a work around for BFV, but Apex Legends is crashing on launch giving me the "device HUNG" error. I have the most recent driver that came out yesterday 19.7.5

0 Likes

Try going back to 19.7.4 or 19.7.1, see if it still occurs.

0 Likes

I will see if that helps and lyk

0 Likes
striker80
Journeyman III

I got massive problems with the new driver 19.7.5 with my 5700 XT, like you I also adjusted the fan settings, but with the new driver I can play Conan Exiles just a few minutes and always get a BSOD - ruled back to 19.7.4 and everythings seems working again. 

perling
Journeyman III

Don't edit anything in wattman. It's really bugging. Use ddu and install driver you can use afterburner to set a fan curve. 

Everytime I set anything in wattman I get bsod black screen game crash. 

xcoreflyup
Journeyman III

I have this same issue. RX5700XT with R5 3600 and Asus X370 Prime Pro running Windows 10. I have try 19.7 from 1 to 5.

All of them give me the BSOD atikmdag all while just browsing facebook.

xcoreflyup
Journeyman III

Thank you

Full system specs

AMD R5 3600

Asus Prime X370 Prime Pro

Corsair DDR4 2400mhz 8GB x2

Powercolor Reference RX5700XT

500GB Samsung EVO SSD + 1 2TB HDD + 3TB HDD

Antec High Current Gamer 520W PSU

I ended up switching to a different card since I dont have time to troubleshoot.

mrcloister
Adept I

Hi Guys, 

I have posted this elsewhere, but I was also having problems my fix:

Update chipset drivers to latest version (mine was B450 chipset)

bozhidarg
Journeyman III

Answer nvidia no problems anymore!

0 Likes