cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

star-affinity
Adept II

RX 5700 XT and driver 20.4.2 still gives occational black screen when gaming

I see the other long thread about this was locked so I'm posting this since I still have the problem albeit just once in Apex Legends since driver 20.4.2. My display suddenly goes black and I can hear the audio keeps going for 15 seconds or so then that goes away to and after a bit longer the computer restarts itself. The other day I was gaming fine for over two hours with no problems, so it's pretty random.

I've tried turning off all extra feature such as Radeon Anti-Lag, Radeon Enhanced Sync etc.

Bellow is my system info (a bit different since it's a Mac, but it's still mostly Intel based stuff inside, i.e. more or less like a Windows PC from 2010 except for the Xeon type processors):

•  AMD Graphics Card

• Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC

• Operating System

• Windows 10 64bit 1909 (all current Windows updates installed)

• Driver 

• Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2

• Display Devices

• Motherboard + Bios Revision

• Apple Mac Pro (Mid 2010), BootROM 144.0.0.0.0 (latest)

• CPU

• 6 Core Intel Xeon W3680

• PSU

• 980 Watts Apple Power Supply

• RAM

• 32 GB DDR3

1 Solution

Believe it or not, but for me things have so far been stable with driver 20.5.1 in conjunction with Windows 10 version 2004 (May 2020 update)! I also no longer have any stability problems when waking and sleeping the computer three times using a display connected via DVI (connected to RX 5700 XT with a DisplayPort to DVI adapter). This seems to be fixed but not sure if it's due to the Windows update or the AMD drivers.

So it seems my hardware isn't deteriorated after all.

But I'll let it go a few more days before making any final conclusions.

View solution in original post

56 Replies

Ok so after some extensive testing I noticed that the crashes are rare now. Much rare than previous set of drivers I only managed to get a single crash in GTA since i installed these drivers and have been playing for at least 2-3 hours. So it appears the latest drivers they have managed to find something but they still not got to the root cause.

Try:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-5-1 

Fixed Issues

• Radeon Software may experience a crash or hang on Hybrid Graphics system configurations.
  • On a limited number of displays, launching a game may lead to an intermittent black screen that requires a system reboot to resolve.
  • Fixed an issue where AMD Link may experience random or intermittent disconnects.
  • When performing a task switch, Destiny™2 may experience an application hang or black screen.
  • Overwatch™ may experience an intermittent crash or black screen when joining a match.
  • Incorrect memory clocks may be reported in performance metrics overlay on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
  • Some Hybrid Graphics system configurations with Radeon RX 5500 series graphics products may experience a blue screen on driver installation.
  • High memory usage may be experienced when Instant Replay and Desktop Recording is enabled on a system and a display on the system has timed out or gone to sleep.
  • A TDR or black screen may occur when running the Vulkan test from Geekbench™5.
  • Hitching may be observed in League of Legends™ on some system configurations after performing a task switch.
  • Sniper Elite™4 may minimize when invoking Radeon Software’s overlay.
  • The standard profile in Radeon Software may become applied when the gaming profile is clicked on numerous times in quick succession.
  • Lighting corruption may be seen when moving your mouse in Grand Theft Auto™5 with Radeon Boost enabled.
  • Texture corruption may be seen in the bottom right corner of the screen when moving your mouse in Shadow of the Tomb Raider™ with Radeon Boost enabled.
  • Red Dead Redemption™2 may fail to launch in some Hybrid Graphics system configurations.
  • Memory Tuning may fail to apply on AMD Radeon VII graphics products.
  • “Unable to get requirements” error message may sometimes be displayed in the Upgrade Advisor tab.
  • GPU metrics may sometimes fail to load in the performance tab of Radeon Software.
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order™ and Control™ may experience application hangs when launched with Radeon Anti-Lag enabled.

Known Issues

• Radeon RX Vega Series and Radeon VII graphics products may experience performance drops when Performance Metrics Overlay is open while a game is running.
  • Some game titles may experience hitching when Instant Replay is enabled on Radeon RX 5000 series system configurations.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Using Edge™ web browser to playback video content with a multi display system configuration may cause a system hang or crash after extended periods of use.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when performing multiple task switches using Alt+Tab.
  • Desktop or In-game corruption may occur intermittently when HDR is enabled.
  • Some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely.

Yep just saw the release , Will try and report back

Thanks for the heads up on the 20.5.1 release!

The "Known Issues" still sound pretty bad.

The 20.4.2 drivers are WHQL and so far they have been stable for me. At the same time I haven't used them very long, so not making any conclusions yet.

I also see the Windows 10 May 2020 update is available. Many things to try...

RE:
I just tried Adrenalin 20.5.1. 4 hours ago. I am trying to fix the resulting mess now.
My PC ran like toffee after installing it. 

Summary:

It looks like installing the Adrenalin 20.5.1 driver after DDU in safe mode somehow corrupted the content of the Driver Registry files.
This cost me lots of time to debug.

Details if anyone is interested:

I did the install with 3 cards on the system.
XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid.
PowerColor RX Vega 56 Red Dragon.
Gigabyte RX590 Scam REV 2.0.

(A). I powered down and removed the RX590, DDU and reinstall Adrenalin 2019 because it looked like the Driver was getting stuck "Crossfiring" two GPUs and I thought it might be attempting to Crossfire a Vega with Polaris GPU. No difference.

(B). I powered down. connected output to to both Vegas so that Crossfire should not engage. DDU, and reinsatll Adrenalin 2019. No Difference. 

The only way to get the PC to work properly was to DDU and uninstall all AMD drivers in safe mode. Then reboot into normal mode and just run basic microsoft drivers.

(C). I inspected the Windows Registry in Regedit.

I found a number of unexpected directories that I was unable to open under the following path(s) for example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001

Since I did not expect to see those directories there I deleted the 0000 and 0001 completely.

I then DDU to remove everything in safe mode, boot into normal mode and I have at last managed to install Adrenalin 2019 safely.

All Windows 10 checks pass.

kuwabara
Adept I

I just tried Adrenalin 20.5.1 few hours ago as well . I had the occasionall black screen since i bought the card (12/2019), but only when gaming.I could watch videos , youtube, Netflix etc 24/7 without any issue. Few days ago i installed 20.4.2 and also the latest chipset driver from AMD (previously i have tried the chipset driver directly from manfuctarurer=MSI B350 mobo) and could play games without a single black screen (not a hard core gamer, playing only occasionaly ffxiv after work ) for 3 days stright(the first time since i own this piece of garb .. ehm video card). Today DDu the driver , installed 20.5.1 and had 3 black screens within 1 hour. One where the screen turns black, system stutters and needs to be hard reset. Twice where only the screen goes black, background sound still playing, you can hear when you press alt+tab etc that the system is working in the background. win+shift+ctrl+b - nothing , only hard reset possible. Ddu back to 20.4.2  , last 3 hours again without a single black screen in games. I have still win 10 1909 , will wait for 2004 update buut so far the new driver looks like garbage ...

only cpu overclocked but aida64 stability test run 24 hours stable without any issues , memory not overclocked xmp disabled(with any possible memory overclocking the system was not stable) , with nvidia 1070 everything is running fine . iam loosing hope with this card and amd..

also i run firefox in background, as i like to listen to podcasts during gaming, and i refuse to disable hardware acceleration, as dissabled hw acceleration causes some issue in other videos ..

0 Likes

Thanks for your input!
Sad to hear that Adrenalin 20.5.1 still gives you issues.

I'm also on 20.5.1 now plus I've updated to Windows 10 version 2004 (May 2020 update) which is available for manual update now: Microsoft Corporation 

So far I haven't had any black screen or freezes. One thing that's also positive is that the issue I had with my DVI display staying black and computer crashing when waking from sleep (reported here) seems to be gone. Not sure it it's due to Adrenalin 20.5.1 or the Windows update, but at least one good thing.

0 Likes

Thanks for the information.
You should be able to go into your PC BIOS and remove any OC.
Your Ram is not OC.

You should be able to disable HW acceleration.
Could you please do that and see if the AMD Driver still crashes?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Yes i tried ofc to disable the OC as well. Bios downgrade, bios upgrade (beta Bios ver.) still same . Also tested without hw acceleration . Still got a black screen , the only change was that i recieved on most Youtube videos an error (with the hw acc. disabled) , but the occasional black screen when gaming was still there. Even when nothing was running in the background except Antivir sw(eset).

Like i said right now iam running 20.4.2 , i updated few days the Chipset driver(was the last thing i havent tried)downloaded directly from AMD +Adrenalin 20.4.2 and it was running 3 days without a black screen.(but as iam working i had not much free time to test it intensively ) Today i installed 20.5.1 and had 3 black screens within 1 hour . Switched back to 20.4.2 and so far iam already playing 6 hours without a break, so far without a black screen(and with cpu OC and running firefox in background with hw acc. enabled).But its really very random , i need to test it further.

I already swapped the PSu , have a 650W seasonic gold + ,corsair Rm750 80 gold plus, still same unfortunatelly.

I tried to find some issue with my hardware, have several spare parts and so could switch some parts and test. Like i said with nvidia 1070 and and an oold amd r9 380 there are no problems (its just that those video cards are not up to the Task anymore , i have a 144Hz monitor and need the extra fps thats why i bought this card in the first place should have go green again..  )

Thank you for confirming Black Screen with no OC.

0 Likes

Finally managed to install a "Hybrid Driver" that seems to ~ work.
1. Disconnect from internet.

2. DDU in safe mode to remove all AMD Drivers. 

3. Boot into windows 10 in normal mode.

4. Turn off  Crossfire in radeon settings and immediately reboot.

5. Once in Windows 10 normal mode, make sure crossfire is off. Device Manager -> Update Driver for Primary GPU, Point to Adrenalin 2020 20.5.1 INF directory. Screen goes black. Waif for 30 minutes soft reset the PC.

6. Soft Reset the PC 3 times to get into Recovery Boot Options.

7. Boot into Windows Low Resolution mode.

8. Log in. Immediately connect to the internet. 
Run Windows Disk Checks as Soft Reset to get into Recovery Boot Options can corrupt disk.

Run:
Chkdsk /scan.

sfc /scannow

DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth.

9. Reboot into windows normal mode and login.

Point 7 - Boot into Windows Low Resolution mode.  was key to me installing Adrenalin 20.5.1
Without doing that I would log into windows in mnormal mode but windows login would freeze.

I now see this:

pastedImage_2.png

I am on Windows 10 1909 (OS Build 18363.720).
I have not installed Windows Update Patch KB4556799.
XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid connected as primary running HDMI output.
PowerColor RX Vega 56 Red Dragon Secondary. No outputs connected.

0 Likes
pixelhuh
Adept II

Hey, everybody. Tested the new 20.5.1 drivers.
Still the same errors as before. I don't know what else I can do to make this sh*t work.

These new drivers 20.5.1 are exceptionally beautiful, AMD fixed also hybrid graphics situations so these drivers are bay of stability and peak performance.

You might start to consider that the failure in your equation is not card or drivers, but something/somobedy else.

Believe it or not, but for me things have so far been stable with driver 20.5.1 in conjunction with Windows 10 version 2004 (May 2020 update)! I also no longer have any stability problems when waking and sleeping the computer three times using a display connected via DVI (connected to RX 5700 XT with a DisplayPort to DVI adapter). This seems to be fixed but not sure if it's due to the Windows update or the AMD drivers.

So it seems my hardware isn't deteriorated after all.

But I'll let it go a few more days before making any final conclusions.

Clearly, a different Universe.
I am still waiting for those coordinates.

claudiuo
Adept II

For me stability in games seems to be better with 20.5.1 (at leats GTA5 no longer crashes as before) It does crash eventually but not as frequent.

However the flickering (on some reddit videos and other sites) in Microsoft Edge (based on Chrome) are back when moving mouse over the progress bar. It goes away though if I disable gfx acceleration. With Youtube I don't see this bug. 

0 Likes
lucasrbe
Journeyman III

Made an account just to comment on this. Bought the RX 5700 XT 3 weeks ago and had nothing but problems since then (came from a GTX 1070 and never had any of these problems). Later it happened in battlefield 4 which really isnt a very graphical intensive game, especially for a card like this. Then a friend gifted me mordhau and thats where the black screens and restarts started happening. Did a whole bunch of troubleshooting and stresstesting (everything worked fine during stresstests), you call it, i probably did it. Nothing works. The only thing that worked for like a day was removing the drivers with DDU and doing a clean install. Next day my games started crashing/freezing again.

Anyway, I'm returning my 5700 XT and my new 2070 Super will be arriving tomorrow  . I'd rather have a gpu that works out of the box without having to tweak all sorts of settings. I hope you guys get a fix quickly because it certainly pissed me off a lot!