Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

razorops
Adept I

RX 5700 - Trying different solutions to fix broken drivers

First of all, check out my previous posts:

1. Multiple games cause Green Screen Crashes, Full Reboots, etc.

2. Yet more issues with RX 5700

3. RX 5700 Still crashing with Green Screens/Black Screens

After testing several solutions, I stumbled upon a really interesting one in THIS post made by goosethesecond‌ where colesdav‌ explained how you can have Adrenaline 2019 GUI/UI with the latest drivers. Looked good to me so I said why not give it a try! Colesdav recommended using version 19.12.1 in combination with the latest available driver version which in my case is version 20.7.1 as of writing this post, but I used version 20.4.2 since it's labeled with WHQL certificate. The work around was successful and I started up Squad since I know the crashes occur while playing this game (and many more, but I don't have them installed). Sadly, it crashed after ~20 minutes of gameplay which is longer than usual (I usually get about ~10 minutes of gameplay before the crash). After this I got sick and tired of testing various driver versions and I decided to go back to version 19.7.5 which I have saved on my Google Drive since that's the by far most stable version since I got this GPU. I've tried literally every single driver version and I must say that they are complete garbage when paired with an RX 5700. I'm seriously thinking about switching to Nvidia even though I've been Team Red my whole entire life... If anyone has had any luck in fixing their issues with RX 5700 or RX 5700XT, please post them here! amdmatt please help...

My system:

• AMD Radeon RX 5700
  • Desktop System
  • Windows 10 (64-bit, Build 2004)
  • Radeon Software Adrenaline Edition 19.7.5
  • SAMSUNG LED 23.5" S24F356FHU Full HD (Connected via HDMI and running at 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz)
  • SAMSUNG LED 23.5" S24F356FHU Full HD (Connected via DP with active converter to HDMI and running at 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz)
  • ASUS AM4 X570 TUF GAMING PLUS (WI-FI) (BIOS Version 2407)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • SEASONIC FOCUS GX-750 (750W)
  • 2 sticks of Kingston HyperX 8GB 3600 MHz running @ 3200 MHz (16GB In Total)
0 Likes
5 Replies
goosethesecond
Adept III

Hello razorops, I just saw your post. Thank you for the reference.

Yes, I can say that I used the above method for quite a while until recently when I noticed that after updating my "hybrid" 2019/2020 setup using only the 20.5.1 driver, my version numbers in the Software tab of the GUI began to say "Not Available" so I decided to give the full 2020 suite another try.

I booted into Safe Mode to use DDU, restarted, then installed the full 20.5.1 suite. This was almost a month ago and thus far, I haven't had any issues. Perhaps for my configuration, the 2020 software is finally okay and I hope it can be for you.

I noticed you already have the latest BIOS for your mobo. Would you be willing to try a DDU removal in Safe Mode and try the latest 2020 suite again? Let me know how things go. I think at this point the advancements of the latest drivers are getting too far beyond 19.12.1 so it may cause more issues than it did before. For whatever reason, most people's issues arise from the 2020 GUI/software itself and not the actual drivers so let's do another fresh install using DDU and then install the full 20.7.1.

Also, let me point out that I turned off basically anything that is "extra" from the software related to graphics settings, overlays, etc.

Here are my settings from the GRAPHICS tab (in the new 2020 GUI)

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

My DISPLAY settings are at default, I don't use anything. I have a FreeSync monitor but turned it off in my monitor's settings (this is just a preference of mine, not related to whether I think it causes issues). My VIDEO settings are also at Default.

pastedImage_3.png

I don't have any accounts added to the software either.

pastedImage_4.png

I don't use AMD Link or SteamVR.

pastedImage_5.png

Finally, here are my settings under the GENERAL tab. I turned off everything that I could. 

pastedImage_6.png

pastedImage_7.png

pastedImage_8.png

I'm also not using the AMD software to do any recording or streaming. I use OBS for that. On top of that I have Hardware Acceleration disabled in Google Chrome and Discord which seem to be the only two programs I have that utilizes such a feature. Again, I disabled all these things and don't plan on using the 2020 suite for anything other than it having to be there to get the most stability possible. So far like I mentioned earlier in this post I haven't had any issues with 20.5.1 after a DDU cleanup and full install. I can't say if that's because of how I am handling my settings in the screenshots above or if that has actually helped, I haven't done more testing but I really don't need any of those features anyway.

I'm about to install the latest 20.7.1 package over the 20.5.1 to see if anything happens this week and if I run into issues I will do a DDU cleanup and re-install 20.7.1 from scratch. At this point again, I don't think I will do a "hybrid" setup like I used to in the future again since there has been too many updates since the latest 2019 version.

Let me know how that goes and I will also report back here.

Here are my PC specs:

Processor: Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core 3.6GHz

Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro 4 mATX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4-3200MHz

Video Card: XFX AMD Radeon RX5700 8GB GDDR6

Storage: HP EX900 500GB NVMe SSD & Intel 660p Series 1TB NVMe SSD

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNova G3 650W Gold+

Case: Thermaltake Core V21 mATX

Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Headset: Corsair VOID Pro RGB USB

Monitor: AOC C24G1 23.6" Curved 1080p 144Hz (on DisplayPort) and an Acer 24" 1080p 60Hz secondary monitor (on HDMI)

Hey man, thanks for the extensive info on the issue. I guess I'll try DDU-ing and installing either 20.5.1 or 20.7.1 and I'll use the settings you provided.

0 Likes

Awesome! Yeah you could probably just go to the latest 20.7.1 cause I read through its Release Notes last night and it seemed to fix many more issues however under "Known Issues" we still see things related to "black screens, etc" although I haven't had that issue for a while now.

I installed 20.7.1 last night over 20.5.1 but I used the "Factory Settings" checkbox in the AMD installer and kept "Keep User Settings" checked as well. I played a few rounds of Warzone last night with the latest update and had no issues, just smooth gameplay.

0 Likes
prometheuscz
Journeyman III

Hi,

I see many people posting abou theese issues, while having multiple monitor setup. Could you try to boot into safe mode, use DDU, then AMD removal tool and then shut down your PC. Unplug the HDMI monitor, boot up and install the full 20.7.1 ? 

Im running the Gigabyte 5700 xt on latest drivers and except for destiny (solved - shader cache bug) I didn't have any issues with it.

Hope this could maybe pinpoint you into the right direction.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

I see you have multiple discussions open at the same time on the same issues, so i will lock this discussion. 

Please feel free to continue using your existing thread here. https://community.amd.com/thread/255028