cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

razorops
Adept I

RX 5700 Still crashing with Green Screens/Black Screens

amdmatt‌ I really need your help bud, this is getting way out of hand!

My system:

• AMD Radeon RX5700
  • Desktop System
  • Windows 10 (64-bit, Build 2004)
  • Radeon Software Adrenaline Edition 20.7.1
  • SAMSUNG LED 23.5" S24F356FHU Full HD (Connected via HDMI and running at 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz)
  • SAMSUNG LED 23.5" S24F356FHU Full HD (Connected via DP with active converter to HDMI and running at 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz)
  • ASUS AM4 X570 TUF GAMING PLUS (WI-FI) (BIOS Version 12011407, 2407) [NOTE: At the time of writing this post I've been using BIOS ver. 1407, ver. 1021 was used previously on the first two posts. The issues are persistant on every tested BIOS version.] 
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • SEASONIC FOCUS GX-750 (750W)
  • 2 sticks of Kingston HyperX 8GB 3600 MHz running @ 3200 MHz (16GB In Total)

My issues:

First - check out my previous posts regarding this issue: 

Multiple games cause Green Screen Crashes, Full Reboots, etc.

Yet more issues with RX 5700

The next game that completely crashes my PC is Squad. I'll leave a screenshot of my graphical settings. The issue is same as always - I start the game up, and it doesn't really matter if I'm in the main menu or in-game, after few minutes everything goes green (or black sometimes) and my PC tries to reboot but something is wrong. I see it's trying to reboot, the keyboard light is starting up as well as other lights but there is no image displayed on the monitors. Pressing the power button once does nothing so I'm forced to hold it for ~5 seconds to do the force shut down. Regarding the programs that are running in the background while I'm playing, these ones are running: Discord, Google Chrome, GPU Tweak II, Riot Vanguard (Valorant Anti-Cheat) and the Radeon Software Itself. Also, when I mentioned Riot Vanguard, I've experienced the same issues in Valorant and the only fix that I've found is to put every possible graphical setting to low or off. That's why I'm not playing right now 'cause I can't play on good settings. I've also heard that these issues might be caused by Hardware Acceleration found in Discord and Google Chrome but I've yet to turn these off.

I'll keep documenting more issues in the posts, I'll always link to the previous ones.

0 Likes
1 Solution
razorops
Adept I

I've done a full Windows re-install using Windows 10 2004 booted onto a USB drive using Windows Media Creation Tool. I've not encountered any issues explained above after the clean install. Currently on Adrenaline 20.7.2.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

Can you update bios to 2407 and try again please?

0 Likes

Oh, thank you, was not aware that there was a newer BIOS version than 1407 (I forgot to change the BIOS version from 1201 since I just did a copy/paste ). I've updated the BIOS now and I'm ready to test if the crash will occur while playing Squad. I'll keep you posted!

0 Likes

UPDATE: It happened again, about ~10 minutes into playing Squad. This time just a few seconds before the crash I saw a flicker across the bottom of my screens, like a white block covering the lower 1/3 of the monitor that lasted for about a frame or two. The the green screen happened but this time it normally restarted without any problems.

EDIT: I should also note that now I'm getting the following message in Adrenaline Software after the crash: "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Can you provide a picture showing the internals of the PC case?

Is it possible to try the GPU in a different system?

As you have not yet tried disabling hardware acceleration in browsers or in Discord, i would try that next. 

0 Likes

Hi Matt, here are the pictures you requested. The GPU is located in the first PCIe 4.0 X16 slot (Both slots on this MB are PCIe 4.0). It has ample cooling with 2 case fans acting as intakes. Sadly, I've got not secondary system that I can test my GPU in, but regarding the Hardware Acceleration - I'll switch to 20.7.1 from my current 19.7.5 and disable these options and test again. Best regards.

IMG_20200713_164748.jpgIMG_20200713_164759.jpgIMG_20200713_164803.jpg

0 Likes

Plase can you also use a separate PSU cable for each connection on the graphics card. 

Hey Matt, I tried this already when I first got this new PSU. When I first built my PC it had a really weak PSU and the PC kept shutting down when playing games so I got a new one and I was told to use separate cables and I did, but It didn't help at all. In essence, nothing changed. For some reason I am 100% stable on 19.7.5 where I basically get 0 crashes no matter what.

EDIT: I should probably note, when the crash is about to occur on Adrenaline 2020 edition, my Windows taskbar flashes for a second even though I'm in game with fullscreen. Not sure if this is a sign of Adrenaline Software crashing in the background or what.

0 Likes

Even so, you should use 1 cable each as this can cause issues. 

Please let me know how the outcome of your testing with hardware acceleration disabled. 

More bad news Matt... So these are the steps I took to test if the crash would occur while having Hardware Acceleration disabled:

Firstly, I did a full wipe of the drivers since I was using version 19.7.5. This was done with running DDU in Safe Mode and I also checked the "Factory Reset" option while installing the newest driver - version 20.7.2.

I used the game Squad in all my testing.

The first test is to test if the crash would occur while playing the game with Discord/Chrome opened while Hardware Acceleration is enabled. The result of this test was a crash after ~5 minutes of gameplay/being idle in the main menu.

The second test was done with Discord/Chrome opened with Hardware Acceleration disabled in both of these programs. The crash did still occur after ~5 minutes of gameplay/being idle.

The third test was done with neither Discord nor Chrome running in the background (checked every process in Task Manager). The crash did still occur after ~5 minutes of gameplay/being idle.

UPDATE: I also tried running a synthetic test (FurMark) on 1920x1080 Fullscreen wtih 8x MSAA, and the crash still happened after ~6 minutes of run time.

UPDATE 2: Just had another black screen while the PC was not being used. The same thing happened as every time where I have to do a force shutdown. No errors in the Event Viewer as usual...

UPDATE 3: I downgraded to version 20.4.2 since version 20.7.2 was not stable at all and kept completely crashing my PC even when idle. After installing version 20.4.2 after DDU-ing the newer version I still encountered a crash while idle. I've now switched back to version 19.7.5 after doing another DDU.

0 Likes

Hey Matt, just wanted to share my latest finding. 

I'm currently on version 20.5.1.

I've been going through a bunch of forum posts and I've stumbled upon an advice saying that if you get a black screen (which I'm now getting when PC is idle), you can try hitting Win + Shift + Ctrl + B to reset the driver. I did this and it worked. Just wanted to let you know, maybe it helps. 

0 Likes
accn
Elite

I found a threads on a reddit in which people with a similar configuration shared a problem, after a crash and reboot of the pc in the event log they got a WHEA-Logger Event ID 18 Cache Hierarchy Error. The error began to appear after the May update on version 2004. And of course, all participants in the thread accidentally had rx 5700 series gpu's. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/hhn8wl/whealogger_event_id_18_cache_hierarchy_error/ 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/hm9px9/getting_random_reboots_since_windows_2004_update/ 

razorops
Adept I

I've done a full Windows re-install using Windows 10 2004 booted onto a USB drive using Windows Media Creation Tool. I've not encountered any issues explained above after the clean install. Currently on Adrenaline 20.7.2.

Hello! How are things going with your gpu? I'm on latest drivers and keep getting green screens randomly after some hours. I've got a 5600 xt tho'

0 Likes