Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lyneca
Journeyman III

RX 5700 Inconsistent Crashes

Hi all,

I've recently been getting huge lag/stuttering in most games that I play. Alt-tabbing out of the game and waiting for a bit until the stuttering dies down appears to fix it temporarily, although that may be placebo, but the effect returns soon after.

If I don't alt tab, this frequently leads to the game either crashing to desktop or showing only a white screen (while the audio still works), along with many other hardware-accelerated apps also crashing - Discord, Firefox, Unity etc. This again may be a placebo.

Depending on the game, a post-crash error box sometimes pops up mentioning something about a D3D device being removed / not being able to be found. Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of this, but I'll add it to this thread if I find one.

These crashes appear to happen more often in VR games than normal ones, but the crashes do happen in both. I have an Oculus Rift S running the latest Oculus software. They also are a recent development, as of maybe a week ago. I updated to latest Adrenalin drivers, both 20.11.2 and 20.11.3, and the crash still occurs.

I have also seen some success with task-killing Radeon Adrenalin software.

This is on top of other issues I've had, especially with No Man's Sky and Deep Rock Galactic, involving the graphics card crashing suddenly and out of nowhere. This usually begins with the game and mouse freezing, followed by both monitors flicking to black for a couple of seconds, then returning to the desktop. It leaves the game with a black screen, although the audio - and even input - often still works. That is, the game appears to still be running while the window remains solid black.

Details

• Hardware
    • GPU: Radeon 5700
    • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
    • RAM: 40GB, 2x16 + 1x8
    • Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X
  • Software
    • Radeon Adrenalin: 20.11.3, recently DDU'd
    • Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 (19042.630)
  • Running Apps
    • Firefox, with YouTube often open
    • Discord
    • Oculus
  • Games that have crashed
    • Deep Rock Galactic
    • No Man's Sky
    • Elite: Dangerous (in VR)
    • Blade and Sorcery
    • Unrailed
    • Spelunky
  • Games I have not seen a crash in (so far)
    • Warframe
    • Hades
    • Doom: Eternal

Any ideas of what to do next would be appreciated. I'm going to try to induce and document a crash; I'll upload the results if I am able to.

Thanks!

Luke

0 Likes
1 Reply
lyneca
Journeyman III

This spike happened while playing Unrailed. When playing that game, spikes occur every couple of minutes. They continue, likely up to a crash, until you tab out of the window for a while (~10-30s). This makes me think it's something to do with fullscreen windows.

I've also had other fullscreen-related problems in the past - often, when starting a fullscreen game, I get ~10fps max. Switching to windowed mode fixes the problem.