cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

quaver
Journeyman III

RX 570 freezing PC when on low usage - amdkmdap stops responding

I have a brand new PC about two weeks old and I think I'm having problems with graphic drivers. I have ASUS Strix RX 570 O8G, running on W10. On four occasions the screen froze, blacked out and I had to hard reset (no BSOD). It happens rarely and randomly, always with very low GPU usage:

1. Working in Lumion without issues, and after finishing the renders and clicking "OK" it froze for the first time.

2. The PC was barely on for a few minutes and I was checking mail.

3. Playing Witcher 3, in the menu/inventory (paused game)

4. Working in Archicad (very little gpu utilization)

The cause seems to be the graphic card driver, according to the Event Viewer warning "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding...". 

No artifacts, flickers or anything, and everything else works normal. Drivers are latest as of April 1st, and Windows 10 is updated to 1903. Things I did so far: I stumbled upon PCIe energy saving in Windows' Power options and disabled it, thinking it maybe caused those problems. I set my graphics profile in Radeon settings from gaming to default. Now I'm waiting to see if it happens again.

What do you think is the cause? Graphics or other drivers? I would like to check off everything else before reinstalling them. Here are my specs, everything stock without OC:

-ASUS Prime Z390-A 

-Core i5 9600 K @ 3,7 Ghz

-ASUS Strix RX570 O8G

-Corsair 2x8 GB 3200MHz RAM

-Seasonic SS-550 W PSU

-SSD: ADATA XPG 512 GB + HDD: WD Black 1 TB 7200 rpm

0 Likes
3 Replies
Arctudim
Journeyman III

I'm having the exact same issue with msi rx570 armor OC 8gb. Low spec games crashing with same event but not demanding ones.... Tried everything. Did you fix it???

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

i have an amd cpu .. but had some pc crash at idle not long time ago , it was related to ram settings... , not sure it's related but as you mention that it's on low usage (cpu or gpu) .. the bsod where often reporting an amd gpu related problem but it wasn't the case at the end, bsod message led me in false directions for days lol

0 Likes
LordSkull
Journeyman III

I have the same problem with asus rx 580 8 gb.

I reinstalled the drivers, changed the performance options with amd radeon software adrenaline, turned off freesync, set the video card with amd radeon software adrenaline in standard mode,  used Asus GPU Twak II and set the video card to silent mode as a guys suggested.

I haven't solved anything.

I don't want to make a refund and buy a new one. I need help.

0 Likes