cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sailorcat
Adept I

RX 5600 XT CRASHES BUT AFTER THE 1ST RESTART IT DOESN'T DO IT ANYMORE

Hello guys, I will try to be brief with this: My gpu (rx 5600 xt MSI Gaming X) crashes within the first 10-20 minutes of random gaming on titles like Valheim or Hogwarts Legacy (not with Valorant idk why). The curious fact is that whenever this happens I have to restart the PC, and after I do that I can play any game without any crashing for hours. However, whenever I turn off the computer and after hours I turn in on again, the cycle just starts anew and so on. (it crashes within the first 10-20 minutes, but after the restart I can play for hours).

I would be so glad if you can help me with this.

Regards.

0 Likes
1 Reply
RPX100
Miniboss

Hey there. Hello @sailorcat 

Could you post some screenshots from GPU-Z, showing your cards details?
Even better if you post pictures from:
- "Graphics Card"-Tab
- "Sensors"-Tab (while gaming)
- "Advanced"-Tab (also check dropdown menus to see different info)
Thanks!

maybe even consider to:
1) start your PC (first time) and open up GPU-Z, take screenshots
2) restart PC (which seems to fix your crash issues?) and take more screenshots to compare to.
- maybe this will already show some differences (check all tabs and dropdown menus)

--

I have looked at your recent posts (from 2020) on your community profile.
Seems like you have been undervolting your card to fix crashing issues. (good call)

Are those undervolts/custom clocks still active?
Underclocks/-volts might be stable with one specific driver, but can cause issues with another driver version.

Also: the idea posted by the other person (voltage 800/800/880) is a bad idea.
The driver switches between the power states to stabilize the GPU and this
might require more voltage. If you lock 2 power states to identical voltages,
it could be another reason for your current crashes. 

May I also suggest: minimum safe voltage for the highest power state (P3): 1050 mV
- RX 5000 series does not seem like it when you go below that
- most Unreal Engine games will crash with D3D device lost error, if you do this

--
My suggestions for your current situation:

1) fresh (clean) driver install (AMD chipset, AMD GPU driver)
- use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU, from guru3D) to make sure it is done correctly.
- You should do this with admin rights and in Windows "safe mode" (restart required)

2) After your drivers are updated, run Windows Console (CMD) and type in: sfc /scannow
- Let it run and see if it fixes any files.

3) Revert back to default clocks and voltages (for now).
- make sure to adjust your fan curve (hot spot should stay below 90°C at all times)
- I have RX 5700 XT and can make it crash by choice, by letting it go above 90°C ... yeah...

Also have a look at this post I made: RX 5000 series crash types and reasons
- maybe you can identify the type of crash and the reason why this happens

Let me know if you need further assistance... I know those RX 5000 series cards
can be a real pain to deal with - I still have to fight the driver to enjoy my card.

Each new driver: new problems (or old ones) arise.

cheers

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes