Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

andreas_j
Adept I

RX 5600 XT crashes and freezes

Hi,

So I quite recently bought an RX 5600 XT Pulse, so I don't have a reference point from before the latest driver version (2020.2.2). However even with this version I experience frequent crashes in Windows 10, where my computer freezes up and then reboots, or freezes up and gets stuck until I power down the PC.

My issue has only been happening while playing games, and from the memory dumps I get the below, and given that my system has not had these issues before changing GPU, and the terrible state the RX series was released in I am quite confident the issue is with the GPU drivers.

Would very much like to see the problem fixed, and if I can provide any useful information I will try and help out. It has been happening fairly consistently with short play time, though no obvious in game event that triggers it.

*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffdf01013ea460, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff802744c0818, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag).
Arg3: ffffffffc0000001, Optional error code (NTSTATUS) of the last failed operation.
Arg4: 0000000000000003, Optional internal context dependent data.

*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffc685ffdd2460, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff8003be40818, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag).
Arg3: ffffffffc0000001, Optional error code (NTSTATUS) of the last failed operation.
Arg4: 0000000000000003, Optional internal context dependent data.

1 Solution
andreas_j
Adept I

Hi,

So a follow up to my problem as it appears to be resolved now. The issue was not with the AMD drivers but the BIOS from Sapphire.

When I bought the card the first thing I did was to download the latest BIOS and flash it, mostly according to instructions. The card comes with two BIOS switches and I only flashed the left (low power) one, and that is the switch which has caused me the most issues.

Recently I remembered that there was another BIOS switch and tried using that right one instead, and without any other changes I immediately saw huge stability improvements. Still my system could freeze up so I contacted Sapphire, they requested a VBIOS copy and told me to flash it, which I found strange since I had already done that.

Long story short, after re-flashing it, the VBIOS got properly updated, and since the support from Sapphire spoke very little English it was a bit difficult but they did say what I did initially should have worked, so I am a bit confused as to what went wrong the first time, though it seems to have been either my fault or the BIOS updater silently failing.

I am also a bit confused as to why Radeon Software says the BIOS Date is from 2020-02-25, while Sapphire website says release date in January, and why the BIOS Part Number differs from the one used by Sapphire.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
27 Replies