here is a video outlining the following steps i took to fix my issues with the 5600 xt, no crashes after 4 days
do this, i had zero crashes after 4 days so far
( i do not guarantee this will work for you,
this worked for me using:
gigabyte 5600 xt gaming oc 6g , with FA0 bios
msi mpg x570 gaming plus (newest bios)
ryzen 5 3600 (@4.3 ghz)
corsair vengeance rgb pro 32 GB (16 x 2 ) (@3600 mhz)
windows 10 ( dont think home / pro / build number makes a diff here, microsoft isnt to blame (this time)
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR PROBLEMS, DAMAGE, ETC.
1. uninstall radeon software (if freezes or has error dont worry goto 2)
2. run amd clean up utility (if freezes or has error dont worry goto 3)
3. boot windows into safe mode with networking (hold shift while clicking reboot in windows)
4. download and install display driver uninstaller
5. uninstall all gpu stuff and chipset stuff , using ddu , (display driver uninstaller)
7. check device manager, make sure display adapter says generic device, if not repeat steps 1 - 6
8. download amd chipset drivers directly from amd, selecting the appropriate categories (for AMD CPU users,,,, (((i would imagine the same would hold true for intel cpus),
( i didnt use ones from my mobo manufacturer)
9. install the latest correct chipset drivers only from amd, (intel for blue team) ( NO ADRENALIN OR GPU STUFF FROM AMD)
11. download adrenalin, unpack it, (( it will show a generic unzip progress bar, let it finish, when the fancy splash screen comes up that say "do you want to install adrenalin" "CLICK CLOSE / NO ****** DO NOT INSTALL ADRENALIN OR ANY AMD GPU SOFTWARE **** we are just unpacking it to get to the drivers
12. goto device manager right click on generic display driver, hit update driver
> select "browse my computer for driver software"
> choose "let me pick from a list......"
> choose "have disk"
> goto the folder that adrenalin unpacked to ussually c:\amd , im not sure what subfolder it is in, i think one that says adrenalin, either way locate C0353065.inf (i beleive there was a driver subfolder and like a win32 / win64 etc folders, choose the one appropriate for your system) (this may differ slightly for diff versions in the future) click ok, choose the top 5600 xt driver, click next,
13. (this should install the driver without adrenalin, device manager should now say "5600 xt" under display adapters)
congratulations, no more crashes (AMD please fix your software or make it alot easier to install just the drivers, nvidia doesnt force u to use geforce experience, cough , cough
14. can over clock with asus gpu tweaker ii
It has now been another two months without any useful information provided by AMD, and lackluster driver updates. So far the suggestions provided has not resolved my problem.
The GPU drivers for the Navi series are still seemingly the root cause behind my system freezes, both in games and under no heavy load. In the meantime I have also done the following:
None of this have helped me resolve the problem.
As I have been unable to resolve the problem and AMD seems unwilling to provide support I have had to revert to my old R9 290 (you can tell how much slower it is... ).
Unless I can get some assistance my only option now is to return this faulty product, assuming I don't see the issues continue now when I have reverted to my working GPU. I have done what I can from my side.
It doesnt fix the issue. It only give more time for the GPU to respond. But the problem is, once the driver crash, there is no chances it will recovered by itself.
So a follow up to my problem as it appears to be resolved now. The issue was not with the AMD drivers but the BIOS from Sapphire.
When I bought the card the first thing I did was to download the latest BIOS and flash it, mostly according to instructions. The card comes with two BIOS switches and I only flashed the left (low power) one, and that is the switch which has caused me the most issues.
Recently I remembered that there was another BIOS switch and tried using that right one instead, and without any other changes I immediately saw huge stability improvements. Still my system could freeze up so I contacted Sapphire, they requested a VBIOS copy and told me to flash it, which I found strange since I had already done that.
Long story short, after re-flashing it, the VBIOS got properly updated, and since the support from Sapphire spoke very little English it was a bit difficult but they did say what I did initially should have worked, so I am a bit confused as to what went wrong the first time, though it seems to have been either my fault or the BIOS updater silently failing.
I am also a bit confused as to why Radeon Software says the BIOS Date is from 2020-02-25, while Sapphire website says release date in January, and why the BIOS Part Number differs from the one used by Sapphire.