Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

andreas_j
Adept I

RX 5600 XT crashes and freezes

Jump to solution

Hi,

So I quite recently bought an RX 5600 XT Pulse, so I don't have a reference point from before the latest driver version (2020.2.2). However even with this version I experience frequent crashes in Windows 10, where my computer freezes up and then reboots, or freezes up and gets stuck until I power down the PC.

My issue has only been happening while playing games, and from the memory dumps I get the below, and given that my system has not had these issues before changing GPU, and the terrible state the RX series was released in I am quite confident the issue is with the GPU drivers.

Would very much like to see the problem fixed, and if I can provide any useful information I will try and help out. It has been happening fairly consistently with short play time, though no obvious in game event that triggers it.

*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffdf01013ea460, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff802744c0818, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag).
Arg3: ffffffffc0000001, Optional error code (NTSTATUS) of the last failed operation.
Arg4: 0000000000000003, Optional internal context dependent data.

*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffc685ffdd2460, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff8003be40818, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag).
Arg3: ffffffffc0000001, Optional error code (NTSTATUS) of the last failed operation.
Arg4: 0000000000000003, Optional internal context dependent data.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andreas_j
Adept I

Re: RX 5600 XT crashes and freezes

Jump to solution

Hi,

So a follow up to my problem as it appears to be resolved now. The issue was not with the AMD drivers but the BIOS from Sapphire.

When I bought the card the first thing I did was to download the latest BIOS and flash it, mostly according to instructions. The card comes with two BIOS switches and I only flashed the left (low power) one, and that is the switch which has caused me the most issues.

Recently I remembered that there was another BIOS switch and tried using that right one instead, and without any other changes I immediately saw huge stability improvements. Still my system could freeze up so I contacted Sapphire, they requested a VBIOS copy and told me to flash it, which I found strange since I had already done that.

Long story short, after re-flashing it, the VBIOS got properly updated, and since the support from Sapphire spoke very little English it was a bit difficult but they did say what I did initially should have worked, so I am a bit confused as to what went wrong the first time, though it seems to have been either my fault or the BIOS updater silently failing.

I am also a bit confused as to why Radeon Software says the BIOS Date is from 2020-02-25, while Sapphire website says release date in January, and why the BIOS Part Number differs from the one used by Sapphire.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
27 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

Jump to solution

You have the same problem. App crash and freeze. Many people here have this problem too, so you're not alone with this problem. Hope AMD engineers will release new version of driver soon asap.

fujiyama-95
Elite

Jump to solution

You are not alone on this issue, we all have it as well. I myself am running an RX 590 and still having the same exact issue you are having. It's not just new cards that facing this issue. 

mickeekung
Challenger

Jump to solution

Someone said change to old version like 19.xx can fix this issue. I can't because I own 5600xt which is not support in old version and can't change to it. Did you try to change it? It may help you.

mickeekung
Challenger

Jump to solution

The TDR FAILURE keep haunting me when I playing games. If it don't automatically restart. I need to hard restart it. Very bad. It makes my computer hardware break a little when I hard restart it often.

kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Try this...you must reboot after any change:

https://community.amd.com/thread/180166 

mickeekung
Challenger

Jump to solution

Screenshot (15).png

already tried. Won't help but thanks

0 Likes
andreas_j
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks for the taking the time to respond.

Wasn't sure if this was still a common problem after the recent update that should have eliminated 'most' issues. AMD did make it seem like the problems were pretty much gone, guess not!

0 Likes
andreas_j
Adept I

Jump to solution

That really sucks, at least on my R9 290 I have had no issues even with the 20.x.x drivers.

AMD really dropped the ball here.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, at least with the issue still being big hopefully they get their act together.

andreas_j
Adept I

Jump to solution

Interesting!

I added that regkey will try it out over the coming days and see if it makes a difference.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

0 Likes