Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Vongore
Journeyman III

RX 5500 XT Black Screen and Crashes when videos appear in browsers and games

Hello!

I've been reading this support forum and after weeks of looking for a solution, I'm convinced you guys can help me with my problem.

I recently bought a brand new Gigabyte RX 5500 XT card. As soon as I plugged it in, switching out my old GTX 960, a lot of problems started. Games like Overwatch showed a green flicker, but the main issue was evident from the start: Everytime a video showed up in-game or in a browser, the whole screen went to black and after a couple stutter noises it came back as usual. This game me time to close whatever video was on the screen (even if it was paused, like on Facebook's Timeline).

This is not only annoying, but after weeks of experimentation, I've found out a lot of things regarding this problem. 

• If I don't open a web page that might host videos (Youtube, Reddit, Facebook), games work without problem. If I've opened a video before, the card will stutter, making games unplayable

• Some games won't open up at all. Like Gears 5. It will show that my card stopped working.

• Other games, like Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm do not stutter at all and work perfectly (unless I've opened a video before)

• In-game videos, such as Blizzard's animations before the game starts when you open them for the first time will also freeze the PC and show a black screen

• Whenever one of these crashes appear, Adrenalin software will also crash, forcing me to close it through task manager and reopen it

• Some apps like Battle.net will also stop showing any UI, but will still work through task bar

Weird part is, this isn't constant. Sometimes, when experimenting, videos will play with no problem. I can use Twitch, Youtube and many more, sometimes at the same time and no black screen. This lasts until I suspend or restart.

The fact that the problem show up some times makes me thing the card isn't the problem. But something is causing problems WITH it. My old GTX 960 never showed signs of this kind of issue.

These are the steps I've taken to see if it worked with no avail:

1.- Formatted PC, clean start. Same problem (After using DDU the first time)

2.- Installing Drivers without installing Adrenalin Software

3.- Using old Drivers (going as far back as version 19 before the UI overhaul)

4.- Disabling most things in Adrenalin, such as FreeSync, antilag, or anything that might cause problems as seen on other solutions.

5.- Limiting my Display resolution and output refresh rate to the exact number as my monitor. No flex. This is what I think helped the most.

6.- Upgraded my PSU to a 650W one

7.- Got a new SSD just in case the old one was the problem

8.- Turned off hardware acceleration in most apps

9.- Tried to set up harsher fan controls, but since the crashes also restart Adrenalin, settings go back to default all the time.

10.- Tried undervolting. Same as Number 9. No OC and have never done it before

My current specs are:

Computer Type: Custom Desktop

GPU: Gigabyte RX 5500 XT 4GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3400 Stock settings 

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B450M Plus

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) slots 2 and 4

PSU: Corsair 650W VS650

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 ¨Pro

GPU Drivers: 20.11.1

Here is a video of what happens:  https://streamable.com/x88zur As you can see, whenever the video is playing, the screen goes to black. Same thing happens when a paused video shows up in my Facebook Timeline

Any ideas? Thank you!

0 Likes
5 Replies
Marisolar
Adept I

I have the 5500 XT. The issue started a few days ago for me. I think it may have been a windows 10 update in my situation. I hope you find a solution too. i've been looking everywhere

0 Likes

I am having the same problem exactly what you mentioned above. Haven't found a solution yet

0 Likes

Thanks for reviving my old thread. This will help people learn how much of a terrible product the RX 5500 XT is.

In the end nobody knew what was wrong with my card. Whenever I opened something like a video in Youtube the screen would stutter and flicker with a black screen, and when opening a game, this flicker would be even more common, but now with a green hue.

I ended up returning the card to the store, and while they couldn't replicate the error (at the store's PC it did flicker, but not as much) I took my PC, showed them and they had no idea what the problem was, since everything else was correctly plugged/working with the correct drivers and setup.

Their only theory was that the card has a severe compatibility issue with my CPU, but they let me get a refund and I got an Nvidia 1660 Super. As soon as I connected the card it worked perfectly with the exact parts I tried the 5500XT on. No flicker, no hue, nothing, so it was either: a faulty card or a compatibility issue.

I'm never getting an AMD product again. Not only the hardware failed, but their Adrenaline software is one of the worst I've ever tried as explained in the OP.

I wish I had an answer for your trouble, but I recommend you do as I did and give up and get a refund while you can.

0 Likes

Hi,

I can top that with my own experiences on exact the same problem!!
I have build two completely identical PC's for my home office. Here are the specs:

Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 3.60Ghz
CPU coolerbe quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 16GB /3200 (CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16)
SSD: Samsung MZ-V7S500BW 970 Evo Plus SSD
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 - ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V - 80 PLUS Gold - 650W

BIOS flashed on both PC's to most recent version

Like many people I was waiting for the 6700 XT GFX cards to arrive. Because of the the price and low stock, I gave up on the 6700 XT and instead fetched two GFX cards on ebay Germany (I live in Denmark).

GFX: MSI AMD Radeon 5500 XT 8GB

So.... the PC builds are 100% identical, and here it comes. The first PC got the MSI AMD Radeon 550 XT installed. A fresh Windows 10 also and even on LAN from the beginning in the install proces. Everything installed in a snap, also the GFX drivers. This PC runs with absolutely NO problems and games just fly. All good here.

Second PC got the other MSI AMS Radeon 5500 XT installed. Same proces with Window 10 install. AND THEN...**bleep**? BSOD before the Windows welcome "Hey, we are getting things ready for you...".

• Reboot, try again
  • Crash and reboot
  • Beginning google searches for behavior, learning about adrenalin driver issues.
  • Reboot, install without LAN = success
  • Manually install Adrenalin
  • Crash and reboot
  • Reboot, try again
  • Checking ALL other hardware (by switching between my 2 PC's)
  • Learning that the GFX card really IS the problem, since switching the card to the first PC, then this PC also crashes. The First GFX card in the other machine and then it runs smooth.
  • Reading for days online about other experiences from numerous users.
  • Getting tired
  • Fresh install windows 10 without LAN
  • Installing ONLY AMD drivers, without Adrenalin software.
  • Runs fine, even some GPU demo benches.
  • Installed Heroes III
  • Installed Steam
  • Out of nowhere just sitting in windows 10, Black screen and freeze
  • Reboot
  • Play Heroes III for 3 minutes, Black screen and freeze
  • Reading online of Black screen behavior with AMD GPU's
  • Getting more tired

Till now I conclude, SINCE I HAVE 2 IDENTICAL BUILDS, I can exclude it is a driver issue and more likely the GFX card itself. I'm thinking, even that the 2 cards are the exact same model, maybe there are board revisions to consider comparing. This would be my final research before giving up.

The cards are secondhand and both sellers honestly confirmed working order in their system. So, I have one running perfect and one with the same problems as you guys.
I will check board revisions on my cards and reply here.
In the end I think I spend €370 for a flush in the toilet.

Kindly,
Carsten

0 Likes
selljo
Journeyman III

Having the same issues in-game. Can't find an solution other than a restart. If I restart and boot games, system seems to run fine. I have 2 monitors hooked up; I open a game an throw it on the 144hz monitor and it goes black ever few seconds. If I alt-tab into a diff window that's on my secondary monitor, no issues occur until I click back on my game. Hope my little bit of info helps the genius who figures out what the issue is. 

0 Likes