cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

abigoldoofus
Adept I

RX 480 - VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

So i've been having this reoccurring issue for a little while now where I'll just be casually gaming with no issues what so ever then I run into certain games that cause my computer to BSOD where all my monitors just go black, and my pc fails to respond causing me to reboot. It happens in games like anthem randomly. I can go 2 or 3 days of playing with no issues for any given time ranging from 2-6 hrs then maybe on the 4th day it'll cause a crash 20mins. Then there's other games like AC Origins, Monster Hunter World and, more recently Northgard where the crash always comes 15-30mins in. I've turned off automatic windows updates for drivers,and tried clean installs after using DDU for several drivers to no avail. When I check whocrashed logs I get the same error VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED. Honestly don't know what to do next

My specs are:

GPU: MSI RADEON RX480 

CPU: RYZEN 5 1600X

MOBO: ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS

RAM: 16GB

PSU: CORSAIR CX500M 500W

WINDOWS 10 64 BIT HOME

DRIVER VERSION: 18.12.2

0 Likes
1 Solution

Uninstall (not disable) any third party graphics controllers such as Afterburner, Trixx, etc.

Set your Power Limit..in the game profile..to +50.

Read > https://community.amd.com/thread/195150 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
abigoldoofus
Adept I

Bump! Sorry but I seriously would like some kind of clarity!

0 Likes
abigoldoofus
Adept I

Kinda weird how there's literally nothing on this not so rare issue. 

Indeed. Half the posts have no answers, most of the answers aren't from AMD themselves and it seems a lot of people have similar issues but always the same answers: DDU...

0 Likes

Uninstall (not disable) any third party graphics controllers such as Afterburner, Trixx, etc.

Set your Power Limit..in the game profile..to +50.

Read > https://community.amd.com/thread/195150 

I feel silly seeing the fix was a simple line of code being changed by a single number....Thank you soo much!!