cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

JPTiger
Journeyman III

RX 480 Timeout Errors

I'm having trouble with timeout errors on my system. For three years it worked fine, but now often the computer will not be able to even boot with a display working the first time I try to start it cold. I'll have to restart once or twice to get it to load. I've tried stess testing the card with Furmark 3D and it does just fine for 20+ minutes. But the timeout errors can come at any time. Often the system can't recover from them; the screen freezes, then acts as if it's been disconnected. Then the driver won't load upon first reboot.

I'm using windows 10 Pro on a B250i gaming motherboard from MSI, i5-7500 processor, 8 gigs of ram. PSU is a bronze 450W, and again, the RX 480 does just fine on stress tests, no issues with wattage or temperature. I'm running the latest updates of Windows and of the AMD drivers.

0 Likes
1 Reply
JPTiger
Journeyman III

This issue continued until it made starting up normally impossible. I wold have to hard reset, sometimes multiple times to restore normal functionality. However, thinking a little more about how Windows 10 shuts down, I tried disabling Fast Startup in the BIOS. After that the problem seems to have disappeared. It hasn't been long, but the improvement has been remarkable. If the problem recurs within a reasonable amount of time with fast startup disabled, I'll post here again.

0 Likes