cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

fidoo001
Journeyman III

RX 480 error 43

Hello. My MSI Gaming X RX 480 is showing error 43 in device manager, when I tried patching using atikmdag patcher I get "No signal" message on monitor after windows logo.
I bought this used GPU for my previous build. When I put it in PC there was error 43. After 2 days of troubleshooting I contacted owner and he sent me link to atikmdag patcher. This solved the problem, GPU was working fine after that. However my CPU died and the GPU was not used for around 3 months. Now in my new build I got error 43 again, used atikmdag patcher and after Windows logo I don't get any signal on DVI. Windows can load normally without patching, with error 43. I tried removing drivers using DDU (in safe mode) and reinstalling drivers, clean Windows install... On our TV it worked using HDMI (no error 43) except terrible stuttering in some games, instant crash while loading Far Cry 3 and random crashing in TF2. While flashing BIOS I get "SubsystemID mismatch" error in new atiwinflash and in old atiwinflash it can't detect my GPU.
Looks like previous owner modded BIOS. Is there anything I can do except RMA my card? Any help is appreciated!

Specs: 
Asus Prime A320M-K motherboard
Ryzen 1600@stock frequency, stock cooler
HyperX 8GB DDR4 2666MHz 
MSI GAMING X RX 480 4GB

0 Likes
14 Replies
akirareturns
Adept I

You can try making a DOS boot drive on a USB drive, grabbing AMD ATIFlash 2.74 off guru3d or similar, loading ATIFlash onto the USB drive with the correct VBIOS from the MSI support forum/techpowerup, and flashing from there. I glanced at this writeup and it seems ok: AMD/ATI Flashing Guide | TechPowerUp Forums 

0 Likes

atiflash in bios can only show "adapter not found" when I use atiflash -i or atiflash -f -p 0 bios.rom

0 Likes

I don't understand your problem. Maybe you are using wrong version flash program. You have Polaris architecture graphics card and need software for AMD not ATI. You need AMD / ATI ATIFlash with amdvbflashWin.exe

0 Likes

DOS has 8 letter limit for file names, is it ok if I rename amdvbflashwin.exe to something shorter?

0 Likes

www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/
www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/188733/msi-rx480-4096-161101

Download the softwares from the links above.
Extract the file "atiflash_287.zip" to a folder.
Send the MSI.RX480.4096.161101.rom file to the folder that contains the "amdvbflashWin.exe" file.
Create an empty txt file in the folder that contains the "amdvbflashWin.exe" file.
Copy the following into the txt file:

"%~dp0amdvbflash.exe" -f -p 0 "%~dp0MSI.RX480.4096.161101.rom"

Save and close the txt file.
Change the extension of the txt file to "bat" and right-click this bat file and run it as an administrator.

Good luck...
I note that these transactions are risky.

0 Likes

Does it matter if I run it in safe mode or not?

0 Likes

I have RX 480 too and I've already modded it. I have never used Safe Mode. I do not know.

0 Likes

Flashed it, windows started, it was displayed as microsoft basic display adapter, drivers were installing normally but now I lost signal while installing. Not like usually (screen flashing, losing signal for short time) but no signal for a long time and I think it will not change.

0 Likes

Remove old driver with DDU and try latest driver. Run the file "amdvbflashWin.exe" as an administrator and try to reinstall the original BIOS software manually. Make sure that your graphics card's brand-model and memory values are correct.

0 Likes

I already did, when it stopped working while installing drivers, I tried restarting and it didnt load (no signal after windows logo), so I booted into safe mode and removed drivers using ddu. After that I booted into windows normally and no signal appeared after while. Looks like it lost signal after windows installed drivers automatically.

0 Likes

I explained in detail the original BIOS installation for "MSI RX 480 4 GB (Gaming X)". I think there should be no problems with reinstalling the driver with DDU. Even if the BIOS software is edited, this is not a problem. Only the driver gives an error. The problem may be another. I do not know. Good luck...

0 Likes

Is it possible that the card is damaged and it's not possible to fix it easily? If I can't repair it today I will try to RMA it tommorow.

0 Likes

Really all possible. The video card may be damaged. Maybe the system crashes with the video card driver. Maybe there's a problem with the monitor or the driver. If I had more experience, I'd write more.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

You know the cause of the problem. To fix this problem, you must find and install the original BIOS software. With techpowerup all you need is available. You need AMD/ATI ATIFlash software and original BIOS software and this command.
BIOS Update Command Example:
amdvbflashWin.exe -f -p 0 bios.rom
If the command is not working, you should try it on a system with onboard GPU.

0 Likes