cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pleatherwill
Journeyman III

RX 480 cannot recover from turned off monitor (after AMD software update)

I recently updated my Radeon software to version 18.5.1 (I chose the clean install option.)

After doing so, my system became unable to reestablish a picture after turning the monitor off (I also had it happen once when changing the resolution settings in a game.)

My system:

SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480 100406NT+8GOCL 8GB

AMH A409U 40" 4K Monitor (connected via DisplayPort)

GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5

Ryzen 7 1700X

Windows 10 Home

Symptoms when turning monitor back on while Windows is running:

The monitor will indicate that a connection is being attempted, then briefly flash black-and-white static before returning to black, and make one or more short popping or chirping sounds through the built-in speakers. This may repeat multiple times, however the picture will not come back.

I can tell that Windows is still running because I can leave audio playing on my external speakers and, while the audio stops while the monitor tries to reconnect, I can get the audio back by unplugging the DisplayPort cable from my computer.

Workarounds I have tried:

Re-plugging the cable does not resolve the problem

The only workaround I have found so far is to restart my computer, and change Windows power settings to prevent my monitor from turning off when I leave for a short time.

I ran Windows update, and then tried updating my audio drivers - neither resolved the issue.

I wanted to revert to an older version of Radeon software, but I couldn't find anything. The few links I found online either led to now-dead pages, or pages which did not appear to actually have download links. If there is a way to go back to an older version, I would like to try it, and maybe even figure out exactly which version introduces the behavior for me. I've since updated to 18.5.2, but the behavior persists.

Please let me know if you have any idea what is going on, or if you need additional details from me. Thank you.

0 Likes
16 Replies