cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

stardreamer77
Adept III

Re: RX 480 cannot recover from turned off monitor (after AMD software update)

on 17.7.2 , i didn't install any monitor driver.. and it work fine...

0 Likes
primehd
Journeyman III

Same problem as mine, I'm using RX 470 8GB , in the middle part of installation I know that its normal when your screen display doing a black screen on and off , but when in the middle part of installation it didn't went back to the normal display desktop. So I tried downgrading the 18.5.1 to 18.2.1 and now its working , I'm still afraid of updating the software because of this issue. Anybody here that fix the issue ?
Btw before downgrading I tried disabling the built-in and left my RX470 enabled  and it did work too but having a doubt it might cause a big issue, so I just downgrade the software update from 18.5.1 to 18.2.1.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

You might try disabling fast startup...it has fixed similar issues.

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

power options

available options

Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast startup (recommended),” along with other shutdown settings. Just use the check box to enable or disable Fast Startup. Save your changes and shut down (reboot) your system to test it out.

fast startup

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on

After turning hibernate on, run through the steps again and you should see both the Hibernate and Fast Startup options.

hiberfile size

pleatherwill
Journeyman III

Thanks for the recommendation of turning off fast startup.

This was one of the things that I tried back in June, and it didn't have any effect on my particular problem, but might be worth a try for others.

0 Likes
musafirlalu
Adept II

I used to have a similar problem. I used devmanview to restart graphics driver back then.

0 Likes
theclassicgamer
Newcomer

I have this off ready mostly because I have an SSD and having hibernated or fast boot on degrades it faster. this is only to prevent the problem I have not to fix it. this problem can happen in the login screen when no one is on and my computer will still sleep even those the setting is off and I sill get a hard lock

0 Likes
theclassicgamer
Newcomer

I know going back to an older driver will fix the problem but a lot of game requires the newer drivers they won't even boot without it

0 Likes