Journeyman III

Rx 480 8GB Crash due to driver

Rig:
Msi rx 480 gamingx 8gbs
x2 G.Skill trident Z 3600mhz(xmp on)
Ryzen 5800x
msi b550m gaming edge wifi
650w gold plus psu

So this is what is happening tried first on latest driver 21.6.1. Tried to play witch it (also later with rainbow6 and furmark test), black screen and gpu full fan speed after loading menu. Okay, first bad thing. Tried going to optional 21.8.1, didn't help crashed again. After checking forums they told me 2 things might be happening or gpu has a corrupt driver or that psu might be insufficient. Went deep into another forum which told me that the current driver on an Rx 480 just don't work and produce many errors. So I went back to 17.7.1 and Bam started rainbow 6 with no problem and did 2 furmark test with no problem whatsoever. But when I tried to play witch it again, it crashed. So I tried to upgrade driver to 19.1.1 and again all the problems come back, witch it crash, furmark crash, rainbow crash. And at this point I think my gpu is just dead. 6 years of good use and now i dont have money to change to a new one because the current market. Glad to receive some comments on what driver might be good to go back to. At this point this is not a PSU problem because on 17.7.1 it worked perfectly.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Jose_Varela
Journeyman III

Adding from previous:
 Just in case i recently changed motherboard from a b550m pro vdh wifi to a b550m gaming edge wifi. Re used the same win 10 on the sdd, havent formatted since. So if anyone can link this current problem to being a win 10 probably malfunctioning please tell.

0 Likes