cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

xeardry
Newcomer

RX 480 8G - Adrenalin Drivers 17.12.1 - 100% GPU & Clock activity in idle, with lower temp

Hello to all

A few days ago playing The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt in steam at fullscreen 1920x1080 60 vsync full settings, I notice some flashes fps drop, soo I stop playing and then I check MSI Afterburner (I only have for the fan curve) and i saw the GPU Usage/Activity stuck at 100%, Temp at 40°c and power use 30-35w

Computer Spec

Intel i7 2600k

Z77-D3H BIOS F23b (latest)

8GB Dual at 1600mhz

MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G

W10 x64 build 16299

PSU Corsair CX750M (I use a 290x before and a 5770)

* This is when I close TW3 and check MSI Afterburner (I dont have rivatuner, dont like)

* This 0 to 100% usage cause the flashes fps drop (at 10-30min of playing)

* Checked in WattMan Global, show the same graphic (no photo)

Screenshot_27.jpg

* I close window session and start again (lazy to reboot pc) wait a few minutes after watching youtube, fb, google, etc and check MSI Afterburner

* Test using only fullscreen software, light uses software, cant recreate the issue...

* Checking task manager, I start to "kill" randomly process...

Screenshot_29.jpg

* Killing this process (select and Supr) the GPU unstuck to a normal usage

Screenshot_30.jpg

Screenshot_31.jpg

I took this right now, but Activity (Green) and GPU (Orange) stuck at 100% and 1300mhz, other values up/down normal

never have any problem playing TW3 for hours (6-12hrs) and also I dont think is the game the problem, i just mentioned it, because playing this demandat cpu-gpu game I noticed this problem and how I says, just using the pc normal the GPU get to 100% for no reason, because this my game have fps drop issues

Before SO update (1709 i think?) and driver update (crimson) no problem

Run a dxdiag, no problems found

Run malware software and w10 security, not inffected

Driver installed (again) using DDU in safe mode

PC is clean with Argente Utilities (Use since months every week)

Not tested with 17.12.2 driver

Ps: Since I kill the process "amddvr.exe" (The process start again immediately) and write this thread, the usage of GPU is normal (0-20-5% ~~)

Driver bug I think

Ps2: Sorry my english, translate all this text, can make it worse to understand xD

UPDATE

Screenshot_33.jpg

* Playing Euro Truck Simulator at 1920x1080 60vsync ultra setting get the same 0-100% usage, I finish to play and start watching some vids in youtube

* Check MSI and get again the 100% stuck activity

* I have not restart session or reboot pc since a few hour ago I close "amddvr.exe"

Screenshot_34.jpg

Oh yeah, go back to normal when I was about to incriminate you with a video ಠ╭╮ಠ

0 Likes
1 Solution

This poster was able to stop the GPU 100% usage by doing the following:

Re: GPU Usage stays at 100% with driver 17.12.1 & 17.12.2

hamburg

Finaly! Thx a lot!  I thougt i am the only one!

At HWMonitor, i have, from time to time, 100% and max GPU-Clock. After a few tests i did find the Problem:                              

Firefox + Youtube (Only Fullscreen) + ReLife-Host/Desktop task.

I did not have ReLive installed, but i have 17.12.2.

After killing the ReLive task... 0% GPU use.

How can i turn ReLive off ?

I did rename the .exe ... but its just a workaround ?! (amddvr.exe  + amdow.exe)

or the only way?

Win10 64Bit

Firefox 57.0.2

XFX 580 D: 17.12.2

This is basically what you saw in the Youtube that you linked.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies

There are so many posts like this, I can't get myself to write out another. Get rid of Afterburner...or any other third party graphics controller (Trixx, Asus,etc). They all conflict with AMD controlls and settings.

GPU clock not lowering on idle

Wattman fan curve does not work

RX480 FPS drop in all games

Poor performance in World of Warships - Radeon 17.6.2 & RX 480

Drivers seems to install correctly, but doesn't work on reboot

AMD graphics performance

0 Likes

Hi,

You or AMD might want to talk with MSI about this then ...
Overview for Radeon RX Vega 64 Air Boost 8G OC | Graphics card - The world leader in display perform...

They are still heavily advertising use of MSI afterburner with Vega 64 cards.

MSI afterburner used to allow HBM over/underclocking clocking on my R9 Nanos until changes in Crimson  ReLive stopped that.
Afterburner and does a much better job monitoring GPU's than ReLive/Adrenalin.
It allows custom fan curves.

Similarly Sapphire, who at least promote AMD Adrenalin Driver for Vega 64 Nitro have been sending out surveys asking Sapphire AMD GPU Owners what they want to see implemented in Trixx next. For some Sapphire cards, you need Trixx to under or overvolt the cards as Adrenalin/ReLive etc does not work with their cards. Trixx allow customized fan curves.  Since Sapphire recently add lots of RGB to their cards and fans they also implemented their own RGB lighting software which is not in Adrenalin at all.

ASUS GPU Tweak II has a nice game booster and other features that are pretty good.
Again here is ASUS promoting GPU Tweak II with their Strix Vega 64...

ROG-STRIX-RXVEGA64-O8G-GAMING | Graphics Cards | ASUS USA

Oh yes almost forgot, they also support Windows 8.1 64bit.

So ... the entire story from AMD and their AIB partners is all a bit confusing really don't you think?
Officially in Marketing it all works together fine.
Reality the message from this support forum is don't use anything other than the Adrenalin/Crimson ReLive/Crimson Driver and only on Windows 10 / 7.

Bye.

0 Likes
faqu
Challenger

In MSI Afterburner enable "Unified GPU Monitoring" and the issue will be solved . I had similar problems in past (wrong gpu usage monitoring & stuck at 100% usage) , and doing that in afterburner solved my issues .

0 Likes
xeardry
Newcomer

Hello again, thanks for the help.

I use MSI Afterburner for a long time, never any problem and I always install WHQL Driver.

I download latest whql CRIMSON version 17.11.1 and make a clean install with DDU in safe mode, not work is still at 100% and 1303mhz stuck (This driver version worked fine at beginning of 2018)

I clean PC in safe mode with Ccleaner and Argente Utilities, also a virus scan with w10 defender and malwarebytes, its ok

I return to Adrenaline version, but before I set to default MSI Afterburner (The only I move, was the curve fan), full unistall, also reset to default crimson driver, before i use DDU in safe mode and clean again with ccleaner and argente utilities and proceed to install Adrenalin 17.12.1

With adrenalin installed I watched yt, fb, play some games, I use GPU-Z to monitor, working normal, shutdown pc--

Now I return from work and check PC, open GPU-Z and check and again the problem

Screenshot_35.jpg

Since stuck at 100% I open this website to write all this, only have firefox, steam and gpu-z running.

Now I remember something when I return from work I setup in AMD Panel, Games > Global Config > Quality Filter of Textures to High and active AMD ReLive (Because I use always this).

* I record this last night MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G - stuck 100% activity in idle - YouTube

Now watching my own video I notice the "amddvr.exe" I closed have as name "AMD ReLive: Host Application", since I active ReLive right now the activity stuck at 100%, soo all point to ReLive

Im checking now Microsoft Window 10 updates

Screenshot_36.jpg

The date coincide when I start having problems, probably my SO update day 4 or 5, because this last days I have this problem

Screenshot_37.jpg

Dates coincide and build version.

I think, some "sh--" in the microsoft update trigger ReLive (amddvr.exe) to stuck gpu activity and clock to max even if im not using the pc.

But even using old driver dont fix the problem

I rememer install Adrenalin without problems, this is happening this last days, I check to confirm and proof

Screenshot_38.jpg

I have not installed Afterburner now to active "Unified GPU Monitoring", but since different software (like in the video) show me, the same numbers, I dont think is a problem of msi ab, also still dont active WattMan (Not UI friendly, for that I use after...)

Sooo, to "fix" for now, is unistall ReLive maybe? (clean re-install of driver)

Maybe im wrong

Edit.-

The problem is, when I try to play demandant games i have this fps drop and freezes like a bad game port, its not only an aesthetic problem

Edit 2.-

I re-install Adrenalin without ReLive, but... amddrv.exe is running and without ReLive actived or installed

Killing amddvr.exe (Select and Supr) unstuck the activity and clock

* HDD is in red, because im checking again for malwares

Screenshot_40.jpg

0 Likes

This poster was able to stop the GPU 100% usage by doing the following:

Re: GPU Usage stays at 100% with driver 17.12.1 & 17.12.2

hamburg

Finaly! Thx a lot!  I thougt i am the only one!

At HWMonitor, i have, from time to time, 100% and max GPU-Clock. After a few tests i did find the Problem:                              

Firefox + Youtube (Only Fullscreen) + ReLife-Host/Desktop task.

I did not have ReLive installed, but i have 17.12.2.

After killing the ReLive task... 0% GPU use.

How can i turn ReLive off ?

I did rename the .exe ... but its just a workaround ?! (amddvr.exe  + amdow.exe)

or the only way?

Win10 64Bit

Firefox 57.0.2

XFX 580 D: 17.12.2

This is basically what you saw in the Youtube that you linked.

0 Likes

Thanks, the video i link is mine

To play without performance problem, Im alt+tab and killing the amddvr.exe  Dx

I did not dare to rename/delete/block  (both ReLive Host: amddvr.exe and amdow.exe)

it's a pity that this has started to give problems, because i use ReLive since was introduced to AMD Panel and always with the same PC Spec...

I finished the process tree of amddvr.exe (did not start again instantly), play the witcher 3, euro truck simulator 2, cs go, payday 2 and other games (no long times, only around 10min), watch youtube (never in full screen) and usage statistics move accordingly

Screenshot_48.jpg

Screenshot_47.jpg

Screenshot_45.jpg

Thanks all for help, it's a decrepit solution, but is working

Now is time to install Afterburner for the fan curve (still cant manage how wattman work...) and find other game record/capture software

btw, I dont know, how to use the forum, when I write some world in the search box (ask it) the website redirect me to create my own thread, maybe because all thread linked have no tag set?

0 Likes
xeardry
Newcomer

Hello, Im back.

Want to show my last activities

Thanks all for comment.

I dont know who trigger the problem, Firefox or Microsoft Update

I dare to DELETE amddvr.exe, amddvr64.exe & amdow.exe

Play The Witcher 3 for almost 4 hrs without fps drop or performance issues

shutdown PC and the other day, none of .exe are running in startup (you know, some files "restore" themselves), common use, youtube, facebook, tumbl, etc

Now, I install MSI afterburner, for the curve fan feature only, play TW3 for 1hr and Euro Truck Simulator for 2hr, no problem at all

Screenshot_51.jpg

Playing TW3, clock and activity get to normal when I quit playing

Screenshot_52.jpg

Since I delete 3 .exe, the "ReLive" option, not longer appears in AMD Panel

Screenshot_53.jpg

Euro Truck Simulator (10min ago)

Screenshot_54.jpg

my suspicions was right (original post), and thanks to elstaci​ for link that thread, I double check and found the guilty

The shame is, ReLive for me is necessary

0 Likes