Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sadame
Adept I

RX 460 Black Screen/Fan Stop - Clean Windows Install - 2ND Hand GPU

Short version:

Blackscreen and fanstop at driver installation and at booting Windows even on a "vanilla" system.

Yes, I have seen the numberous threads, but I hoped maybe by now there is another work around than baking the card. Don't really want to do that.

My System:

Gigabyte RX460

Ryzen 1800X

MSI B350 Gaming Plus

PSU 600W, 32GB RAM

Windows10

tryed newest Adrenalin Driver

Taken Actions:

-BIOS update

-Chipset driver update

-DISM / SFC

-DDU and reinstall, from installer, from manually selecting and from auto windows choice

-deactivated automatic driver installation

Fresh install of Windows + updates till latest (january)

Current condition:

While installing Fall Creators update, the graphic card stopped working again (even though I deactived automatic drivers?!...), but the system continued to work!

I can confirm this, since it autorebooted as required from the updated and continued normally at 30% or something. After checking the heatsink and waiting for the disk activity LED to cease blinking, I returned to safe mode, restored the basic driver and  could see that the 1709 update was installed succesfully.

Still the card stops working when installing a driver.

What i realized it that (since the very beginning) the graphiccard did take quite some time (2sec?) to spin up and put out a signal. But maybe thats normal? Did use a laptop for to long to remember...

To be fair: I bought the card used.

But if someone should have e.g. installed a bad firmware, would it then still work with the basic driver?

Thank you for your precious time in advance.

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution
sadame
Adept I

Okay, you probably won't believe what I tell you now.

I said before, that remote desktop(RDP) was no problem, even with installed amd driver. Yesterday I made some more test and were even able to run FurMark over RDP. I thought it was strange.

Today I borrowed a HDMI projector. With DVI Monitor also connected I plugged the projector in (Windows Basic Driver) and ... nothing. Windows said there is nothing and the projector said: no signal on HDMI.

Okay I thought, install the driver. Same as all the time: GPU Fan stops, Monitor goes black .... wait, did the "no signal" message just disappeared. 3 seconds later I had my screen on the projector.

what the heck.

So either the DVI port doesnt work with all the tested drivers, or the (old, nameless) monitor can't work with win10+that driver by dvi.

Well, wanted to buy a new one anyway...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
sadame
Adept I

Yes, System not freezing.

Had today the idea to test with a remote desktop connection.

When installing the driver, screen goes black and fan stops, but the remote desktop connection stays active. I can even reinstall the microsoft basic driver from the session and as soon as it is installed, the fan starts spinning again. For the image to come active again I still have to restart though.

What I didn't tried: Old drivers. There are too many. Has someone a good hint where to start from?

0 Likes

I suspect your GPU is faulty, but try drivers from 3 months ago or even older.

0 Likes

Thanks Matt,

i tried 17.7.3, 17.4.4, 17.2.1 and 17.8.1 (least directly from gigabyte).

Always did the "select /amd/package/driver/ in the device manager" and always removing the driver with DDU before trying the next.

To no avail (poor SSD, so much unnecessary writing)

One thing: The autoinstallers of 17.4.4 and 17.2.1 say "error 182 - cant correctly identify graphiccard"

should i go to a friend and try another PSU, the card in another computer, a not HDMI monitor or does it looks like a hopeless case for return?

(recently, when softreseting after failed driver install, the next time windows comes up it returns to microsoft basic driver by itself)

0 Likes

Try another system/psu if you can.

0 Likes
sadame
Adept I

Okay, you probably won't believe what I tell you now.

I said before, that remote desktop(RDP) was no problem, even with installed amd driver. Yesterday I made some more test and were even able to run FurMark over RDP. I thought it was strange.

Today I borrowed a HDMI projector. With DVI Monitor also connected I plugged the projector in (Windows Basic Driver) and ... nothing. Windows said there is nothing and the projector said: no signal on HDMI.

Okay I thought, install the driver. Same as all the time: GPU Fan stops, Monitor goes black .... wait, did the "no signal" message just disappeared. 3 seconds later I had my screen on the projector.

what the heck.

So either the DVI port doesnt work with all the tested drivers, or the (old, nameless) monitor can't work with win10+that driver by dvi.

Well, wanted to buy a new one anyway...

Verified it with HDMI and DVI monitors of a friend. both worked fine with the AMD driver.

For everyone who doesn't want to buy a new monitor / whos monitor is rather new: "google for "restore EDID" or similar.I won't try it though, as I planned to buy a new monitor anyway.

have a nice weekend