cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

colesdav
MVP

Re: Running Radeon Pro Software on Radeon Cards - what is the advantage of this?

I think It is self evident from the title: Running Radeon Pro Software on Radeon Cards - what is the advantage of this? in Drivers & Software

(A). What are the use scenarios for installing Pro Drivers on Radeon Desktop GPU's.

(B).I would expect there should be differences in Software Information for the various driver versions between say OpenCL or OpenGL drivers used in Professional and Gaming Drivers.

So for example I would expect that your Radeon Pro Driver  Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q2 Release Notes | AMD  on a Radeon Pro WX9100 should have some different or modified driver components versus the Radeon Driver  Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.4.3 Release Notes | AMD 

for Desktop Gaming GPU on an RX Vega 64 Liquid.

What are those differences / how can I find out.

Thanks.

0 Likes
fsadough

Re: Running Radeon Pro Software on Radeon Cards - what is the advantage of this?

(A). What are the use scenarios for installing Pro Drivers on Radeon Desktop GPU's.

Starting in 19.Q1.2, AMD is including Radeon products in our Enterprise driver. This is being done in consideration of the fact that enterprises use both professional, commercial, and consumer hardware. This driver is recommended for Radeon hardware being used in commercial use cases with productivity applications. This includes users who need to review CAD data as part of their workflow. It is not recommended for gaming. Workstation performance, features, and application certifications do not apply to Radeon hardware and no end user benefit will be observed without Radeon Pro hardware.

(B).I would expect there should be differences in Software Information for the various driver versions between say OpenCL or OpenGL drivers used in Professional and Gaming Drivers. 

Yes. The difference is the Pro-APP section in those APIs, which is responsible for smooth operation of the Pro-Applications. For instance there is a Solidworks section in the OpenGL driver that detects the application once is being run and applies the appropriate GPU settings and configurations

basherkabir
Adept II

Another question is about the Platform Compatability in the Advanced tab of Radeon PRO drivers

pastedImage_1.png

I did ask the AMD global support team the question but the answer they gave me is still lacking in detail.

Here is what the Global support team sent me in email

"I understand that you want more detail about what Group A, Group B and Group C mean in the Platform compatibility tab.  If I have missed any critical information about your inquiry, please let me know as my suggestion below may change. 

Group B and C are reserved for Large OEMs who will provide their own custom setting for the products.  Group A is the default mode and there is no change in the driver behavior and is for everybody.   

Please be advised that this service request will be permanently closed if you do not reply within 10 days. If more time is needed to respond to my e-mail above, please let me know and I will ensure that this service request remains open for you.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,
Ali Danane"

I need more about these costume settings and how to add and/or enable/disable them.

colesdav
MVP

basherkabir

Could you please be so kind to respond and tell me what software installation that your screenshot with advanced Tab refers to?

1. Is that a screenshot of your installation of Radeon Pro Enterprise 19.Q2 (Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q2 Release Notes | AMD ) on a Radeon Vega 2. Frontier Edition Card?

2. Could you please tell me exactly which Vega Frontier Edition Card it is?

I do not see that "...Advanced Tab" when I install Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q2 Release Notes | AMD on RX Vega 64 Liquid.

3. Could you please post some screenshots of the System Tab information so I can compare the exact driver versions you have installed on your GPU versus the  I see installed on my RX Vega 64 Liquid  when I install the Radeon Pro Enterprise 19.Q2 driver?

I currently have the Adrenalin 2019 19.3.4. Gaming Drivers installed on the RX Vega 64 Liquid, so I use these screenshots below from the Adrenalin 2019 19.3.4. Gaming Drivers for illustration purposes only.

I am interested to compare the contents of the following Screenshots and "Copy All" text file information.

A. System -> Overview Screenshot.

pastedImage_7.png

B. System -> Software Screenshot.

pastedImage_8.png

C. Also please could you use the use the "Copy All" menu button to cut and paste the above detailed information in the System Software screenshot on your GPU in text format onto your response.

Here is the information I have from the above screenshot.

Radeon Settings Version - 2019.0415.2324.42127
View Release Notes - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-4-3
Driver Packaging Version - 18.50.31.09-190415a-341662E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2019
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01377
OpenGL® Version - 25.20.15000.13547
OpenCL™ Version - 10.0.2766.5
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.7
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.78
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.101

Thank you.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Correction - Question 1 should read:
1. Is that a screenshot of your installation of Radeon Pro Enterprise 19.Q2 (Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q2 Release Notes | AMD ) on a Radeon Vega  Frontier Edition Card?

Corrected text in Bold Italics.

I cannot edit the above post to correct it at the moment.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Thank you again for replying.

RE:

Starting in 19.Q1.2, AMD is including Radeon products in our Enterprise driver. This is being done in consideration of the fact that enterprises use both professional, commercial, and consumer hardware. This driver is recommended for Radeon hardware being used in commercial use cases with productivity applications. This includes users who need to review CAD data as part of their workflow. It is not recommended for gaming. Workstation performance, features, and application certifications do not apply to Radeon hardware and no end user benefit will be observed without Radeon Pro hardware.

Yes I read that description in the detailed release notes that I pointed you to when you told me that I should not be installing Radeon Pro Enterprise 19.Q1 drivers on my RX Vega 64. 

You are re-quoting the text from the screenshot I pointed you to which I repeat here:

pastedImage_12.png

That description does not tell me much and is not very clear at all. Reasons below.

(1). The description:

"This driver is recommended for Radeon hardware being used in commercial use cases with productivity applications. 
This includes users who need to review CAD data as part of their workflow "  

Implies I could use an RX Vega 64 Liquid to read data created by software running a Professional GPU such as a WX9100.

Is that correct?

(2)  the "This Includes ..." in the above description infers that running the "Radeon Pro 19.Q2 Driver on a Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid would also allow me to do something more than just read data using the RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU.

So does that "something more" also include actually using Professional Software + Radeon Pro19.Q2 Driver + RX Vega 64 Liquid to run Professional Software and generate data?

(3). Does AMD have any examples of Professional Software + Radeon Pro19.Q2 Driver + "Radeon GPU" to run Professional Software and generate data? 

RE:

Yes. The difference is the Pro-APP section in those APIs, which is responsible for smooth operation of the Pro-Applications. For instance there is a Solidworks section in the OpenGL driver that detects the application once is being run and applies the appropriate GPU settings and configurations.

OK.

Thanks again for replying to my questions.

0 Likes
basherkabir
Adept II

Hello

1. Yes, that is my installation screen shot of 19.Q2 on a VEGA FE.

2. AMD VEGA FRONTIER EDITION 16GB HBM2.

basherkabir
Adept II

3C. 

Radeon Pro Settings Version - 2019.0415.1218.22142
View Release Notes - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-19-Q2
Driver Packaging Version - 19.10.02.01-190415a-342101C-RadeonProEnterprise2019
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01394
OpenGL® Version - 26.20.11000.13559
OpenCL™ Version - 10.0.2841.5
AMD Audio Driver Version - Not Available
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.83
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.101

basherkabir
Adept II

3ApastedImage_1.png

basherkabir
Adept II

3BpastedImage_1.png