cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

fsadough

Re: Running Radeon Pro Software on Radeon Cards - what is the advantage of this?

(1). Is the win10-64bit-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-19.q1.2-mar29 driver supposed to be able to install on an RX Vega 64 Liquid as stated in the detailed release notes for the software?
No. Your Device ID 687F is not included in the .inf file of 19.Q1.2 driver, it is included in 18.Q4 .inf. No mention of Radeon RX in the 19.Q1.2 release Notes either. You can use 18.Q4 driver, if you wish.

(2).   Should I file an AMD Reporting Form and email support case?
No. Not needed

(3). Can you please let me know the main differences in the OpenCL Driver on win10-64bit-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-19.q1.2-mar29 versus Adrenalin 2019 19.4.3.
Need to verify

colesdav
MVP

Re: Running Radeon Pro Software on Radeon Cards - what is the advantage of this?

Hello fsadough 

First of all thank you for replying.

Here are my responses.

RE: (1). Is the win10-64bit-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-19.q1.2-mar29 driver supposed to be able to install on an RX Vega 64 Liquid as stated in the detailed release notes for the software?
No. Your Device ID 687F is not included in the .inf file of 19.Q1.2 driver, it is included in 18.Q4 .inf. No mention of Radeon RX in the 19.Q1.2 release Notes either. You can use 18.Q4 driver, if you wish.

Response 1.A - RE: No. Your Device ID 687F is not included in the .inf file of 19.Q1.2 driver, it is included in 18.Q4 .inf.

I am not surprised that my device is not included because clearly the software does not install properly. This needs fixed.
My RX Vega 64 Liquid is a Radeon  "RX Vega" Desktop GPU. 
It is in fact the best, highest cost, watercooled RX Vega 64 that AMD produced for ~ 6 months before EOL so it could beat a reference GTX1080.

Response 1.B-  No mention of Radeon RX in the 19.Q1.2 release Notes either.
Your response is similar to the previous response from ray_m. You must be only looking at the short version of the release notes.
The short version of the release notes for the Radeon Pro Software does not give much detail about support for Radeon Cards.
You need to look at the full release notes.
I have looked at the following three versions of Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise.

Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q1 Release Notes | AMD 
https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/amd-radeon-pro-software-for-enterprise-19.q1-no-vdi.pdf 

Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q1.1 Release Notes | AMD 
https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/amd-radeon-pro-software-for-enterprise-19.Q1.1.pdf 

Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q1.2 Release Notes | AMD 
https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/amd-radeon-pro-software-for-enterprise-19.Q1.2.pdf 

None of the above versions will install on my RX Vega 64 Liquid .
They are all supposed to install on Radeon RX Vega 64 cards.
I will just give you the information from the 19.Q1.2

Please look at this:
pastedImage_13.png

You need to click on the link to the right of the blue highlighted text please.

Just in case you do not believe me or you still cannot find the information I post a screenshot from the above link which points to this:  https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/amd-radeon-pro-software-for-enterprise-19.Q1.2.pdf 
pastedImage_12.png

You can see I have highlighted AMD RX Vega 64 in purple.

Also later in the same document:
pastedImage_14.png

According to the detailed release notes that driver is very definitely supposed to install on an RX Vega 64. My GPU, an RX Vega 64 Liquid is in that category is it not?

Response 1.C -
RE: You can use 18.Q4 driver, if you wish.
Yes that driver installs the way I mentioned above and it does have a significantly different OpenCL Version.

Response 2. RE: (2).   Should I file an AMD Reporting Form and email support case?
No. Not needed

I think it is needed.
Either the software installer needs fixed so it will install on the RX Vega or all three sets of release notes and information I read in press about AMD Radeon Pro software now supporting Radeon Cards are wrong and all need to be corrected by AMD.

Response 3. RE: (3). Can you please let me know the main differences in the OpenCL Driver on win10-64bit-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-19.q1.2-mar29 versus Adrenalin 2019 19.4.3.
Need to verify

Thank you for looking into the differences in the OpenCL Driver.

Bye.

0 Likes
fsadough

I have escalated it, our driver will look into it as to why Radeon RX has been eliminated

colesdav
MVP

Thank you.

0 Likes
fsadough

The Radeon Series & RX series will be added back to upcoming 19.Q2 driver to be released next week 

colesdav
MVP

Great. 
Thank you for your help.
I will test if it installs on the  RX Vega Liquid as soon as it is released.
Did you get any information regarding the OpenCL version differences?
Thank you.

0 Likes
fsadough

Not yet, looking for it

0 Likes
basherkabir
Adept II

why is there no support for R9 Fury X in these 19.q2 drivers?

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Hi basherkabir 

That is a very good question. I also have that question.

I own lots of R9 FuryX /Fury/ and R9 Nanos. 

I had been looking at purchasing a second Radeon Pro Duo (Fiji) GPU - I provide this link as I cannot find one on the AMD Website easily.
AMD Radeon Pro Duo Preview: Dual Fiji Unleashed | HotHardware

1. I need more  R9 FuryX/R9 Nano/Fury GPU for an existing project.
2.The card is a "Pro" / "Prosumer" card so I thought it might be a cheap way to get a GPU that would run proper Radeon Pro Drivers and maybe provide Radeon Pro driver features for a new project rather than spending 1500-1800 on a Radeon Vega based Workstation GPU such as the Radeon™ Pro WX 9100 Graphics | AMD 
3. The Radeon Pro Dual Fiji packs 2 R9 Nanos on one GPU so that is lots of compute power for a single motherboard slot at the price I can purchase it for.

This post came about because of my initial interest in purchasing one of these Radeon™ Pro WX 9100 Graphics | AMD  for a new project and because I already own an XFX RX Vega Liquid so I am trying to understand what features are available in these new Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q2 Release Notes | AMD 
Drivers which state in detailed release notes here: https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/amd-radeon-pro-software-for-enterprise-19.Q2.pdf  that they can also be installed and run on the following Radeon Graphics card products:

pastedImage_6.png

I am trying to understand what the exact use model is and what benefits there are, if any.

My guess for a possible advantage is  I need a Radeon Pro GPU (WX9100 for example)  that runs Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise in my workflow or computation task.

I might can also be able to use a cheaper Radeon GPU from the same GPU series (Such as an XFX Radeon Vega 64 Liquid) to run / setup/ test some tasks on the Radeon GPU which may produce less accurate results / be slower etc but at least prove the workflow or computation or task is set up correctly before running it on the main more expensive Radeon Pro GPU.

But I do not know. I still cannot work out what AMD are trying to do with this Driver on Radeon Cards.
fsadough - This post is marked as "Assumed Answered" and I do not know why. Can that be removed please? I am far from having this question answered.
I tested the Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q2 Release Notes | AMD Driver yesterday and it raises more questions than it answers. More on that next time I get a chance to post.

basherkabir - I looked at the recommended drivers for that Radeon Pro Duo (Fiji) based GPU on the AMD Website.
Here is a screenshot of the page:

pastedImage_12.png

Here is the result of clicking on "SUBMIT":

pastedImage_13.png

It looks to me like the "Pro" driver for the "Professional" Radeon Pro Duo (Fiji) based GPU are actually AMD Radeon Gaming Drivers.
This may be why the R9 FuryX/FuryNano cards are neglected for Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise Q2.
I will need to check if there were ever any Fiji based Workstation or Professional Cards based on Fiji, I do not know for sure.

In my opinion and based on some test results the R9 FuryX/FuryNano cards have been neglected and their HBM overclocking performance potential has removed since just before Vega launch in Radeon Drivers. The R9 FuryX/FuryNano driver optimisation also looks to be ignored versus optimization for RX480GB and other Polaris GPU's in may new games. Therefore I am not surprised if there is no support for those GPU in Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise Q2 at all.

Thanks.

0 Likes
fsadough

What is your question?

0 Likes