cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

colesdav
MVP

Re: Running Radeon Pro Software on Radeon Cards - what is the advantage of this?

Hi, basherkabir 
Thank you for taking your time to provide that data.
I really appreciate it.
Bye.

0 Likes
fsadough

Re: Running Radeon Pro Software on Radeon Cards - what is the advantage of this?

It is actually quite clear. For instance imagine you are a site engineer on the road and your laptop has a consumer graphics your colleague works on AutoCAD 3D application and creates a 2D drawing for site engineers on the road. With this driver you can easily look at the drawing, zoom in and out and run some basic Autodesk commands. I did not understand what you meant by "Implies I could use an RX Vega 64 Liquid to read data created by software running a Professional GPU such as a WX9100."

I believe it is best you tell me what you are trying to do with your consumer card using Pro graphics driver.

0 Likes
fsadough

Group A  (previously Default mode)  in this mode there is no change in driver behavior.  This is the default mode when the driver is installed and the exact same code paths that were followed prior to this feature addition are followed. No additional QA testing is required for this mode. 

Group B  (previously Rugged mode) is a fall back mode to help workstation customers who are experiencing intermittent undebuggable issues. 
Under the hood we are turning off optimizations. Customers don’t care about performance in these situations.  They just need quality.
Limited additional QA testing is desirable.

Group C  (previously Agile mode) is for workstation customers who are eager to take the latest changes we have even though it has not been certified.
We give minimal quality and performance guarantees.  Limited additional QA testing is desirable. 
Group C is currently unused and is identical to Group A.

colesdav
MVP

RE: . I did not understand what you meant by "Implies I could use an RX Vega 64 Liquid to read data created by software running a Professional GPU such as a WX9100."

In your response above, you mention use of AUTOCAD 3D -

Lets assume the engineer is running a Professional Desktop GPU like a WX9100 and the Radeon Pro 19.Q2 driver  to create the 2D drawing with AUTOCAD 3D

Then based on your answer if I had a desktop running consumer graphics such as  RX Vega 64 Liquid with Radeon Pro 19.Q2 driver I should be able to "easily look at the drawing, zoom in and out and run some basic Autodesk commands", provided I had the approprate software and licenses from AutoDesk.

However there are a couple of points which still make me wonder what the advantage of running these Radeon Pro Drivers on AMD Consumer Desktop GPU, in the case of Autodesk AUTOCAD 3D

Perhaps the use of AUTOCAD is not the best example though since the WX9100 is not on the approved and certified hardware list anyhow - shown here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/certified-graphics-hardware

In fact, according to this: https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Autodesk-AutoCAD-134/Hardware-Recom... you can run Consumer Desktop GPU's and drivers with that software anyway.

The WX8200 is on that list which is ~ a  Vega 56 though.

Maybe there are examples you can give where Professional Sofware will not run unless you use an AMD WX9100 series GPU instead of an RX Vega 64 Liquid for example?  I had thought that the Professional Drivers were simply QA tested and that meant the software providers would give 24/7 support in case of a software problem provided the GPU and Drivers were "certified". 

0 Likes
fsadough

I believe I answered your question already. No one said you cannot run 3D CAD applications using consumer graphics. The emphasis on RUNNING is meant by fully functional with no stability or performance issues.

This is a forum and not a education platform. I am very busy with enterprise customer's issues. What are you planning to do with your graphics card? If you have any specific issue, please explain and I try to answer.

0 Likes
basherkabir
Adept II

Thank you very much for clearing that up.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

(1). RE: I believe I answered your question already. No one said you cannot run 3D CAD applications using consumer graphics. The emphasis on RUNNING is meant by fully functional with no stability or performance issues.

Yes I understand that running with a Professional Radeon Pro Graphics Card with Qualified Radeon Pro Drivers should mean that there should be some quality assurance testing on the software and drivers to make it more likely that the software is stable. In addition the Radeon Pro GPU's should have higher quality components with tighter tolerances etc making the GPU more reliable. In addition the Software Vendors will provide 24/7 support if the GPU is running on supported "Radeon Pro " platform.

(2). RE: This is a forum and not a education platform.

I see, you think I am stupid and need educating. I don't think that statement is necessary or warranted.

I am trying to understand what advantage running Radeon Pro Software on Radeon Cards is, and so far I am not seeing any convincing answers from you at all.

If you look at the history of this post and question I have been told by ray_m and yourself that the Radeon Pro Enterprise Drivers were not supported on my Radeon RX Vega 64. - That advice from both of you was wrong. I have been polite about it as I should be, but I am just stating a fact and point that out to you as you seem to start to make insulting statements like that.

I tested the installation of the drivers and helped identify a problem that meant the drivers were not being installed when they should be according to your own release notes for every version of  AMD Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise Q1/ Q2. Testing these broken drivers takes my time and costs me money. You should probably be thanking me for testing your software for free and helping improve the software quality. It should have installed with no problem in the first place.

AMD have fixed the installation issue of their own software and now it will install as intended on a consumer RX Vega 64.

I thank both you and AMD for fixing the installation issue.

However, after reading (2). above, please reconsider who needs educating.

(3). RE: I am very busy with enterprise customer's issues.

And they are more important than me...because clearly you know who I am, what I do, who I work with and what I am working on.

(4). RE: What are you planning to do with your graphics card? If you have any specific issue, please explain and I try to answer.

I need to know the following information and I need you to provide proof please.
I am currently running my personal Windows 10 OS drive with Adrenalin 19.4.3 gaming driver but I use this as an example.

I need a screenshot showing this information - a screenshot of the Software tab from a WX9100 running AMD Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise Q2.

pastedImage_1.png

and a "Copy All" text version of the above information, but from a WX9100 running Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise Q2 please.

Radeon Settings Version - 2019.0415.2324.42127
View Release Notes - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-4-3
Driver Packaging Version - 18.50.31.09-190415a-341662E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2019
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01377
OpenGL® Version - 25.20.15000.13547
OpenCL™ Version - 10.0.2766.5
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.7
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.78
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.101

I know what has been installed on my RX Vega 64 with the AMD Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise Q2 release.
I want to compare, since I want to know I will be running exactly the same driver versions.

Please do not simply tell me they "should be the same".
Based on my previous experience with AMD software installers and my experience with the fact that your AMD Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise Q2 drivers would not even install on my RX Vega 64 liquid, you may imagine my confidence level in just relying on what "should happen".

Once I have that information from you I will post what was actually installed on my RX Vega 64 Liquid.

Thank you for your time.

0 Likes
fsadough

I don't know how came up with the idea that I meant you are stupid and need education. What I meant by that is that this platform is a support forum, you explain your problem and people TRY to answer your question. In addition no one is obligated to provide an answer.  If you felt I have insulted you, I apologize and I had no intention to insult anyone. And honestly I don't know who you are what you do and who you work with and work on. 

As to your request, see below the screenshot and all the related info from "COPY ALL". It would be much easier to request this info in first place:

Capture_SW_WX9100_19.Q2.PNG

OVERVIEW

Radeon Pro Software Version - 19.Q2

Radeon Pro Software Edition - Radeon Pro Software Enterprise Edition

Graphics Chipset - Radeon (TM) Pro WX 9100

High Bandwidth Cache Size - 16368 MB

High Bandwidth Cache Type - HBM2

Core Clock - 1500 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 32 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz

SOFTWARE

Radeon Pro Settings Version - 2019.0415.1218.22142

View Release Notes - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-19-Q2

Driver Packaging Version - 19.10.02.01-190415a-342026C-RadeonProEnterprise2019

Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01394

OpenGL® Version - 26.20.11000.13559

OpenCL™ Version - 10.0.2841.5

AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.9

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.83

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.101

HARDWARE

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Designed and built by AMD

Graphics Chipset - Radeon (TM) Pro WX 9100

Device ID - 6861

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 0C1E

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1002

Revision ID - 00

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x16

BIOS Version - 016.001.001.000

BIOS Part Number - 113-D0510100-110

BIOS Date - 2018/09/22 10:49

High Bandwidth Cache Size - 16368 MB

High Bandwidth Cache Type - HBM2

High Bandwidth Cache Clock - 945 MHz

Core Clock - 1500 MHz

High Bandwidth Cache Bandwidth - 483 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 1.89 Gbps

0 Likes
jdrobinson314
Challenger

Just adding my two cents, it seems like it would be most beneficial to be able to install the pro drivers along side the adrenaline drivers - having the adrenaline take care of the enthusiast cards and the pro drivers take care of the pro branded cards.

Use cases being workstations with radeon pro cards as well as rx cards.

Currently it's possible to mix AMD and Nvidia and get the benefits of both driver stacks but not within the same ecosystem? This makes no sense.

Another use case is off loading video encoding onto a WX card using OBS while using a RX Vega card for gaming and display - currently this configuration and drivers available at the time of posting this don't expose the the adrenaline features for the RX Vega card because there's a WX card installed in the system ( the driver takes on the pro skin and hides the advanced features available for the RX cards ).

Also, it doesn't help that Windows 10 doesn't accurately identify high performance or economy cards in this type of configuration to specify discrete multi-GPU or the specificity of running one app on a specific GPU despite the monitor it appears on.

Well, here's hoping the Adrenaline drivers expose the adrenaline experience while pro cards reside on the same system I suppose.

colesdav
MVP

I lost interest in this thread. I am doing my own investigations about what software actually supports running non professional AMD GPU's with these drivers, since I think that's the only way to get a real answer. I am still not conviced of the benefit, other than it is the "same driver" since it is completely untested on Desktop GPU with gaming BIOS for example, and AMD own support staff didn't even know about the feature of running this driver on Radeon Gaming GPU's.
If I install the Professional Driver on RX Vega 64 Liquid it still has the Red Adrenalin 2019 theme. Clearly even changing the driver GUI skin to "blue" is too much effort. The only way to check what has been installed is the driver versions for OpenCL, OpenGL etc etc, and they are not even noted in the detailed release notes. I had to check what gets installed on a professional WX series GPU.

Nice Idea about selecting which driver runs on which card but I don't rate your chances.
I run multiple AMD GPU's and I will be looking for professional GPU's for personal use soon, which is why I am interested in this topic.
It would be good to delect which driver runs on which card.

If you read this: Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q2 Release Notes | AMD 
The Driver Options feature is dropped: AMD Radeon™ Pro Graphics Support with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition | AMD 
There are a few videos about it here: 
Radeon™ Pro Settings: How to Install the “Driver Options” Feature - YouTube 
Radeon™ Pro Settings: How to Switch to Gaming Mode with “Driver Options” - YouTube 

Radeon™ Pro Settings: How to Switch to Professional Mode with “Driver Options” - YouTube 

If you want to feedback your idea, and change the above direction you would have to file an AMD reporting form or open an email support case and even then unlikely. I don't think there is any real way to give feedback to AMD about what you want to see in their drivers, unless you are a large customer. This is just a User-User forum. There is this little star at the top righ hand side of the GUI:

pastedImage_6.png

It takes you to a page where you can vote for features with no proper brief spec on what the features are so what you vote for is in your own head / imagination really. Some of the features below are likely already planned and will likely turn up in the next major Adrenalin release, timed just before Navi launches, which is currently rumoured as July 7 2019. I do not see "Ability to report Ryzen 2700X CPU Utilization in Radeon Performance Overlay, and not just inferior competitor, Intel,  CPU Utilization"  in the list below, but maybe the APU overlay support will fix that one? I do not know. There is no brief specification or description of what the feature is. 

pastedImage_7.png

Bye.

0 Likes