GPU:
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5500 XT GAMING OC 8G
RX 5500 XT - 8GB GDDR6 - PCIe 4.0 x16 - HDMI, 3x DisplayPort
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
3.4 GHz - 6 cores - 12 threads - 19 MB cache - AM4 Socket
Motherboard:
Asrock B450 Fatal1ty Gaming K4
ATX - Socket AM4 - B450 - USB 3.1 (Type-C) - Gigabit LAN - HD Audio - HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA
RAM:
Corsair Vengeance LPX
DDR4 - 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB - DIMM - 288-PIN - 3000 MHz - CL15 - 1.35 V
PSU:
Corsair VS Series VS550 (2018)
ATX12V 2.31/ EPS12V 2.92 - 80 PLUS - 100-240 Volt wisselstroom V - 550 Watt - actieve PFC - Europa
Operating System & Version: Windows 10
GPU Drivers: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Chipset Drivers: I don't have a clue :(
Background Applications: Steam and discord
Description of Original Problem: I just build this computer and installed windows 10. Updated it as much as I could. The GPU driver is still Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Everything works fine, except for playing games ofcourse. Updating the GPU driver through windows only updates the Basic Display Adapter, but doesn't install an AMD driver.
Troubleshooting: I tried installing a couple of AMD drivers, both manually and using the auto-detect program from amd.com. As soon as I install an AMD driver, the computer randomly bluescreens sometimes and gives a different error code. I tried googling the stopcodes, but the advise is always to uninstall manually installed drivers and update them through windows, which I can't get to work.
I've uninstalled everything from the computer and re-installed windows 10 to start fresh, but I ran into the same problems.
I've been trying to solve this all day by googling and asking around for help, but I get the same answer everywhere and all the time. It's been a really frustrating day.. The stopcode I've had thus far:
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys)
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
MEMORY_MANAGEMT

If somebody can help me out or point me in the right direction, I'd be so happy. I thought I would be able to play with friends this morning after waiting for this computer for a week and building it all day yesterday. Today has been very frustrating and I am clueless on how to get this computer to run smoothly.

Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
3 Replies
Rubstar
Adept I

Hello gijs,

Are you still having this issue?

If so what was the solution?

I ask because I am having the same issue with my W5500 workstation GPU.

0 Likes

Windows 10 has horrible driver support.

Pro version use a Group Policy Editor to block Microsoft from downloading AMD display drivers.

Home version use a Registry Editor to do the same.

Windows 10 function to not download software for anything but the OS does not work.

Go to Asrock/support.com find your motherboard and check the BIOS list to see if any version mentions improved support/performance for your hardware/software. Also update your CPU Chipset drivers while your there.

Only use manufacture support sites for downloading/updating drivers. 

Disable uninstall or block Discord in the process of fixing your build it is known to cause issues with AMD driver download and installation.

Only download AMD drivers from AMD/support.com.

Your Corsair 550 watt PSU may barely be meeting minimum system power requirements. I'd advise looking into that. Most PC building websites have a wattage calculator for builds and they give a decent approximation of your builds power requirements. This usually won't include overclocking and the increased power draw.  

Thank you for providing detail build info that really helps us find potential solutions a lot easier.

0 Likes

I got about halfway through this reply then realised the original post is from 2020, not sure why it bounced to the top again. So I'll post what I'd already written but I won't go any further. Maybe others with similar problems will find it useful.

PSU power wouldn't stop the drivers installing though. It'd only be a problem once gaming. And honestly, I suspect a decent 550W is enough to cope with a 5500xt. Sustained usage on Furmark is only pulling 134W.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-5500-xt-phantom-gaming-oc-8-gb/31.html

Ditto on the Windows AMD drivers. It sounds like it's not detecting the card properly. Windows would install their last WHQL driver if it was detecting properly. Have you checked in device manager to see if the card appears there and what it appears as? I'd also look in the bios and see if it's detecting the card. Not sure about that mobo but mine the bios literally tells me what video card I have and even gives me fan speed and temps on it.

If it's a custom build (ie: you built it yourself) I'd be looking at a couple other things too. One did it need an extra power cable plugged into the card (a PCIe cable I assume) and have you done that? I'm assuming it needed at least one, maybe two depending on the manufacturer.

Try reseating the card as well. ie: just pull it out and put it back in again, making sure it's a good firm connection. I've seen it on occasion where the GPU was just not quite seated right.