cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rdlf4
Journeyman III

[Request] Official RX540 (mobile graphics) AMDGPU-PRO driver for Ubuntu/Linux Mint

So I've bought an Acer Aspire 5 (model A515-41G-1480) featuring an AMD A12-9720P APU with integrated graphics (R7 M440) and dedicated graphics (RX540, 2GB GDDR5 VRAM).

However, I'm not planning on using Windows, I'd like to use Linux Mint 19 Tara 64-bit, which is based on Ubuntu 18.04, on this laptop. Problem is, there is no official driver support from AMD and when I got to talk to AMD's technical support team, all they had to say is that "as of now" there is no support for it on Linux, only Windows.

Because the integrated/dedicated graphics adapter switcher controller is not supported, I'm stuck with the integrated graphics. On top of that, I'm using the community driver (amdgpu), which doesn't do a good job when playing games, watching videos, scrolling pages, etc. All I get is screen tearing, artifacts and whatnot, resulting in such a frustrating experience for all the scenarios I've mentioned.

To make matters even worse, I investigated even further on AMD.com in order to find at least a Spectre/Meltdown-proof firmware update and to my surprise, my processor is not even listed!

amdissue01.png

And before you ask, no, that wasn't a typo. My processor is an AMD A12-9720P (AMD A12-9720P SoC - Benchmarks and Specs - NotebookCheck.net Tech ).

It's just too sad to see the company that I chose over Intel to go with still has ways to go in order to catch up to Nvidia, which does a good job at supporting Linux Distros.

amdissue_02.png

Windows-only drivers for my APU/RX 540. Welcome back to 2001.

AMD, is there even a reason to believe you guys are making a Radeon Software-variant, along with proper driver support, for Linux Distros?

I just want to be able to choose which tasks I'd like RX540 to handle, with an official driver (which is exactly what Radeon Software lets me do on Windows).

1 Reply
tuxutku
Journeyman III

hey i have opened a bug report here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201077and i want to let you know that you can use 4.16 or 4.15 kernels for temporary solution and all the people effected from this bug seem to using aspire 5 a515-41g laptop, also i updated to 1.09 bios and still there is no fix. amd wanted from me to bisect the kernel but i could only found the main commit and it contains dozens of other commits, but if you want to bisect the kernel that's might be helpful
0 Likes