cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

1BRAVO9
Journeyman III

Recording in 4k Using Adrenalin Comes Out Pixelated

When I record gaming in 4k using Adrenalin I have problems with pixelation when moving.

The background doesn't pixelate but what moves in the foreground does.

In this case it is a plane that moves across the background landscape.

When the plane moves, it pixelates for a second.

Is there anything I can do to reduce or even eliminate this?

Here are my specs:

Game is War Thunder

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 8-Core Processor 3.40 GHz

32.0 GB RAM

Radeon RX 6800 XT

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

0 Likes
8 Replies
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

In Adrenalin, under Record & Stream, what are your Recording options set to? On my 3440 x 1440 system everything records fine with the following:

Fullscreen is ON

Active Window

Show Indicator is ON

Record Desktop is OFF

Recording FPS = 60 fps

Video Bit Rate (Mb/s) = 40

Audio Bit Rate (kb/s) = 192

Video Encoding Type = HEVC

Audio Channels = Stereo

0 Likes

For Me: (Differences in Bold)

Fullscreen is ON

Active Window

Show Indicator is ON

Record Desktop is On

Recording FPS = 60 fps

Video Bit Rate (Mb/s) = 30

Audio Bit Rate (kb/s) = 192

Video Encoding Type = AVC

Audio Channels = Automatic

0 Likes
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Hmm... can we see an example of such pixelation? 
It can be that this is recording artifact. Which is basically meaning not enough bitrate to support this level of fidelity on such resolution.
I run 50 mbps bitrate recording on 1080p60, and i still have a lot of scenes when quality goes down. Not as much as i would've seen with low bitrate such as 5-10-15-20 mbps. But still
To mitigate it you can try to use OBS with CQP preset on 20-24 (you can also use 16-18 but it will take much more bitrate). But beware. This stuff requires A LOT of space. Because CQP means constant quality (no matter cost). So for my 1080p60 it sometimes requires up to 300 mbps bitrate just to keep quality. But it does actually saves details. I have custom OBS library with more detailed preset which i hadn't yet extensively tested, but it requires bit less bitrate, as i set up CQP parameters separately for I-frames and for P-frames (I-frames with more quality, P-frames with less)

0 Likes

You'll notice that each movement of the aircraft cause slight pixelation of the details of the aircraft.

https://youtu.be/HOedSDUfRzc

0 Likes

Seems like normal compression artifacts. Basically not enough bitrate to support everything. It mostly goes on trees as their movement is predictable, unlike plane.
But maybe i am not seeing something else. As it is YouTube and it recompresses video reintroducing more stuff. 

I am more impressed that for settings you used (30 mbps AVC at 4k60) was able to produce such good quality of a recording. Usually it feels more garbo compared to HEVC. 

Maybe fact that game have low dynamics helps a lot? In BDO to just get to "fine" result i will need more than 30 mbps (i use 50) WITH HEVC!!! Just to get to acceptable quality at 1920*1080@60. A lot of small details, moving text overlays and incredibly fast movment and turning doesn't do good.

Like... This is image with stationary charachter (MY charachter) placement. 

But it can easily still be turned up into THIS

And there is nothing you can do, except increase bitrate more and more. CQP resolves this issue by using heavy dynamic bitrate adjustment, but oh my these file sizes. 

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

I'm no expert in this, but I'm pretty sure the issue is with your use of AVC as a Video Encoding Type vs HEVC. Here are two video clips of mine.  The first uses AVC (I believe) and the second HEVC:

https://youtu.be/wiN9uG5QK1M?t=522 

https://youtu.be/aAV3QV2t434?t=607 

If you do switch to HEVC, you'll need something with an HEVC codec to see your own videos on your system. I'm using VLC.  You can get it either through the Windows terminal with winget:

winget install --id VideoLAN.VLC -e --source winget

or at their website:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/ 

0 Likes

K-Lite Codec Pack (With MPC-HC) also will work 
MPC-HC by itself... don't remember, actually if it can play HEVC by default. Maybe it also can.

You also can install HEVC codecs for "OEM" manufacturers from Windows Store. Unlike normal one, this one is free.

Also... It is bad to show examples through YouTube. It's compression kills everything. 

Simple camera movement kills EVERYTHING on YouTube for my video. 
On original recording it requires much more than that and still get better result than this. 

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

Let me also add that I'm pretty sure there was a big difference in file sizes between AVC and HEVC. IIRC, my AVC files were in the hundreds of megabytes, but the HEVC files were in the gigabytes. So, make sure you look at those if you make the change.

0 Likes