cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

david224
Adept I

Recent driver releases make RX 480 really unstable.

• AMD Graphics Card
    • RX 480 (MSI Gaming X, bios updated to the latest version available)
  • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit (I also tested everything on Windows 7, no differences)
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Z97M-PLUS/BR
  • CPU/APU
    • Intel i7-4790k
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • XFX 650w (don't remember the model right now)
  • RAM
    • 12 GB

I was having some really bad issues when doing GPU intensive stuff on my PC, like some more demanding games or rendering on SketchUp. The problem war that I had some really nasty frametime spikes every 1.5 seconds or so, periodically like a clock, and when a pushed my card a little further, like on specific things on Shadow Warrior 2 or Monster Hunter or by stress testing it on FurMark, the screen would just go black, with no video signal coming from de GPU, and I had to pull the chord to turn of the computer.
     I've tested my rig with another PSU and yesterday I tested my RX 480 (MSI Gaming X) on a friend's rig, same problems again.
     When I got home, I decided to rollback to 17.1.1 and all the problems I was having are now gone, stress test doesn't screw my PC anymore, no more lag spikes, nothing.
     Needless to say, I found this workaround but I don't want to be stuck in an outdated driver version forever, and the driver issue report link on AMD support page don't work, it just displays "Redirecting to page" forever.
     Is there anything more that I could do to further troubleshoot those issues?

And I know this may sound cliché or something, but sorry for any bad english above, I have near 0 practice at actually writing in english, so I don't know if I'm screwing it up or not.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this issues started more or less a month ago, suddenly. And back then I also had the latest drivers installed, it just started suddenly.

After much testing, I identified the driver version this issue starts: Crimson ReLive 17.11.1. No driver that I've tested older than this one gives me those problems and all drivers newer that I've tested do

EDIT 2: Turning "Power Efficiency" on Radeon Settings makes the frametime spikes last longer, the frametimes stay really high for 2 to 3 times the length (visible on the frametime graph).

15 Replies