Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

m-train
Adept II

Re: Raydeon 580 lags badly.

Jump to solution

I only have one SATA slot inside my mother board, which of course is filled.

Since you bring it up, suppose I buy another mother board in the future with three SATA slots on the board, would these internal SSD's work together, or be seen by the computer as separate drives? [ie drive F, G, H, etc]

Thanks.

0 Likes
steviejay
Adept II

Jump to solution

If you are still running that Z97-MX Gaming 5 you have plenty SATA ports. Yes they are all seen as separate drives, unless you create a dynamic disk (don't).

Some external HDDs have the power integrated into the SATA interface connector so cannot be used as internal drives. If there is a traditional controller board and the drive has a SATA connector and a SATA power port then you are good to go. Removing the USB interface will improve the drive response and transfer rate.

m-train wrote:

I only have one SATA slot inside my mother board, which of course is filled.

Since you bring it up, suppose I buy another mother board in the future with three SATA slots on the board, would these internal SSD's work together, or be seen by the computer as separate drives? [ie drive F, G, H, etc]

Thanks.

1. 1 x M.2 PCIe connector
    (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA & PCIe SSD support)
  2. 1 x SATA Express connector
  3. 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
    (M.2, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed.)
  4. Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
Hardwood
Paragon

Jump to solution

Really good answer from Stevie there. If you do take it apart and hook it up as a normal sata drive pay attention to item #3 above and don't use SATA3 connectors labeled 4 and 5. I'm assuming you're using the M.2 slot between cpu and first PCIe slot. I've never heard of the STA Express until today so I'm not touching that without reading your mobo manual. Read manual !!!

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASUS ROG STRIX RX580 8G Gaming, Antec Truepower new 700w. 16GB
steviejay
Adept II

Jump to solution

SATA 0 & 1 are the safe bets.

Yes, the question never answered was is the card in the PCIe x16 slot? It is the one closest to the m2 slot and CPU socket.

If the m2 drive is not NVMe then replace it with a cheap 240 or 500GB SATAIII SSD as the system drive. Use the m2 as imaging / storage. If the external is large (>500GB) consider using the m2 as a volume accelerator instead (64GB should be sufficient). Prices have tumbled.

If you want to replace the m2 with NVMe, then the old m2 drive will go in the PCIe x4 with a slot adapter so it's not wasted.

Just my two cents.

0 Likes