cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

elstaci
MVP

Re: AMD Chipset driver BSOD

I not sure if MEMTEST86 works on Overclocked RAM or not. But either way you shouldn't get any errors at all.

Remove all your RAM except one and run MEMTEST86 with the same condition as when it had many errors and see if it passes with Zero errors. If it does pass with Zero errors install the others and do the same until you find which RAM module is acting up during OC.

If MEMTEST86 is showing errors left and right it means that what is going into RAM is not what is going out of RAM thus causing your crashes.

0 Likes

Sorry like bad memory

0 Likes
mrperforations
Adept II

hello,

I was wondering could this be to do with installing AMD™ ramdisk™ software please?

• i think seem to remember it leaving a setting file behind or something?

Best regards

Mr Perforations

0 Likes
mrperforations
Adept II

note.

I'm using the Adata™ 60gb ssd write now.

and the three little drives two as one stools every now and then.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Re: Random system BSODs

Good  advice about the Hard drive. A bad Hard drive can cause data corruption. But he mentioned that when the RAM was Overclocked he got many errors which indicates a bad memory module. But I am not sure if MEMTEST86 is reliable when the RAM Memory module is overclocked. I would believe that it shouldn't have any errors, whether it is overclocked or not.

I would suggest installing only one RAM module. Testing it with MEMTEST86 to be sure it passes without errors for at least two passes. Than try to use the computer and see if it crashes. If it doesn't, then install another RAM Module. Run MEMTEST86 again. If it passes, than continue to use the computer. If no crashes than install the other sticks. If it starts crashing, then he will know it is one of the last two sticks that he installed last that is bad.

By the way, I see you are using a Ryzen 5 - 1600 CPU with the B350 Motherboard. Have you checked to see if that Memory is on the Motherboard's Support list for Compatibility for using a Ryzen CPU?

In another thread, an OP is having problems with his Motherboard because it seems like he was using RAM Memory that wasn't totally compatible with the Ryzen CPU and Motherboard. He wasn't having any crashes thou. Just wasn't showing the full memory in BIOS.

just an observation.

0 Likes
forgemaster
Journeyman III

Re: Random system BSODs

EDIT: TL;DR, I managed to get everything up and running with basic testing. I haven't tried any real-world gaming yet to see if the application crashes are as often as they were before.

Things that helped were:

1) God-tier level of patience

2) Letting Windows do it's thing with updates

3) Disable Hybrid Sleep/Fast Startup and Hibernation

I'm running 4 brand new drives, 2 of them are SSD's. They pass with flying colors in any test. I'm using MEMTEST x64, which is more reliable, it makes the system throw more errors because on a typical scenario you will be running Windows and stressing the system out. It makes the CPU go 100% and you can allocate as much memory as you want, and it's not linear, you can have as many loops of testing running. EDIT: All loops now run successfully even with my old BIOS settings.

I've been using my RAM modules almost ever since launch, they are not Ryzen "compatible". And the QVL lists are just peace of mind for newbies who aren't sure what they are buying. My memory sticks are Intel optimized, but ever since AGESA 1.0.0.6 I've been able to run them at their rated XMP profile since day 1 of the BIOS release without a hitch. It's just that now something is breaking down. I don't have any other RAM of similar speed to test, and it's far too expensive to buy a new DDR4 kit just for that.

What might be right is to try and overclock sticks but leave them on memtest one by one instead. But that only leaves the CPU IMC with less work, usually more voltage helps get rid of stability problems, in my case it did not. It's true that Dual-Rank kits weren't even bootable at 2933+ at some point, but that's the past.

My point is something changed software wise or the motherboard I received wasn't doing as much as a good job as I expected, but it shouldn't influence memory overclocks, the CPU silicon quality does, almost every B350 guarantees 3200MHz working. And other people are having no problems running the same DDR4 kit on their AM4 systems.

Memtest3200.jpg

I put a picture just in case. Don't worry about it having set at 6 threads. I'm running SMT off for higher single-thread performance for un-optimized games. Apparently now the system is running fine again after some time passed. I swear not only are the crash prone games are mocking me by not crashing when I am debugging them, but the system decides to run OK again. I give up. Part of me feels guilty for choosing Ryzen because I essentially lost 10% single-thread performance, which is important for high FPS/Refresh rates. My favorite game series are STILL releasing with engines based on old API's that are limited to quad-cores because most people are still using competition CPUs. The Ryzen 5 1600 is a great CPU, I don't deny that. But I am getting more issues than it is worth, and I was banking on it's longevity for gaming (which it won't fail at, the FX-8350 is a testament to that when playing on high resolutions where the GPU is the bottleneck). The games I play simply prefer clock speed over more cores and that hasn't changed since launch, that's a problem. And upgrading to the next-gen processor is a waste of money, because the big leap was already made for me. I'm in love/hate status with the way things currently are.

Anyway, the rant is over. Seems like resetting/tweaking some Windows settings and getting updates again seemed to bring everything back to normal, sort of. I haven't tested the games but I will this weekend to see how well everything runs.

I will post my final thoughts on the ordeal later. Thanks for reading. These issues aren't widespread and I know I'm the drop of water in a sea, so hopefully I didn't waste too much time, and someone reading this might be able to deal with similar problems in the future.

0 Likes