cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

raichea
Adept I

RAIDXpert2 - Constant disk activity until I START Background scan

I've recently upgraded my PC to a Ryzen 5600X CPU on a B550 motherboard running Windows 10. I have an NVMe M.2 SSD C:  drive and 2 x 3TB SATA HDD in a RAID 1 mirrored pair D drive  (stupid editor turns D with a colon into ). All is working fine. However, it was audibly obvious that the disks were being constantly interrogated for some reason. Task Manager showed no disk activity at all on D but I could hear that they were being constantly accessed. This was sometime after the mirror was confirmed as complete.

I thought a Background Scan might be active so checked in RAIDXpert2 but that only gave the option Start a scan. Weirdly, I clicked Start, and the disk activity instantly stopped. At the moment, I've left the scan running (ie only Stop is now active) and the disks remain silent unless I do something to access them.

Appreciate any thoughts as to what is going on here....

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
raichea
Adept I

I've been having an email conversation with AMD about their RAIDXpert2 facility. It turns out that the ongoing disk activity, even though the array was indicated as complete and operational, is a feature of the way the RAID driver operates. After I created the array, I copied 1.5TB from another disk into the array. Although the copy completed as far as Windows was concerned, the driver mirrors the data in the background (hence the noise). As a background task, it took a long time (several hours) to complete the mirroring. 

Under normal operation, you're not usually writing that much data and the background activity doesn't take too long. This large transfer obviously caused the driver more work.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
raichea
Adept I

I've been having an email conversation with AMD about their RAIDXpert2 facility. It turns out that the ongoing disk activity, even though the array was indicated as complete and operational, is a feature of the way the RAID driver operates. After I created the array, I copied 1.5TB from another disk into the array. Although the copy completed as far as Windows was concerned, the driver mirrors the data in the background (hence the noise). As a background task, it took a long time (several hours) to complete the mirroring. 

Under normal operation, you're not usually writing that much data and the background activity doesn't take too long. This large transfer obviously caused the driver more work.

0 Likes